Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Not too bad - 4 guys in the top ten on TSN 2019 CFL 50 players.

1 Stamp

1 Rider

1 Lion

3 Ticats

10) Stanley Bryant Jr

7) Willie Jefferson

5) Andrew Harris

3) Adam Bighill

I did not agree with Nichols being rated lower than Trevor Harris. I would argue that Nichols is at least as good, though he has not been to the Grey Cup.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm not gonna say he was GREAT but he was more than capable when he played for JSK last year at the end of the season and did not look out of place at all. I think he's going to shine next to Bighill. He'll be in on a crazy amount of tackles...

I mean, it's all small sample sizes and I get that but he had four tackles in two starts in the playoffs in the same position as he would be this year, next to one of the most dominant defensive players in recent history. In the end, we can see different things in the same player and it doesn't matter until they show one way or the other on the field.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Not too bad - 4 guys in the top ten on TSN 2019 CFL 50 players.

1 Stamp

1 Rider

1 Lion

3 Ticats

10) Stanley Bryant Jr

7) Willie Jefferson

5) Andrew Harris

3) Adam Bighill

Wilson and Hecht were 11 and 12 I'd imagine 😂

21 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I mean, it's all small sample sizes and I get that but he had four tackles in two starts in the playoffs in the same position as he would be this year, next to one of the most dominant defensive players in recent history. In the end, we can see different things in the same player and it doesn't matter until they show one way or the other on the field.

Bighiill had six

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I don't know about Kyrie being terrible.  I sadly remember Hurl taking terrible angles and whiffing on many tackles.  Wilson is not nearly as bad as that.

I thought he looked better in the pre season too. He wont be terrible thats for sure. He may or may not be an impact player like JSK was but we wont know for sure for a while. 

a safety rarely is a focal point, or the reason that a defense is great vs good vs awful...and if the safety is the linchpin your defense is in serious trouble anyway.

Pretty sure the likes of Biggie..Jefferson..Jeffcoat..Fenner..Sayles..Alexander will more than make up for whomever is at safety...our safety this year will be playing more of a centerfielder role this year..flowing to plays and being available for over the top help...I have no concerns 

Hecht is a concern.  Biggest flaw in our D last season was Loffler’s lack of range and struggle to pick the right route to get on top of in match coverages.  Haven’t seen Hecht play a lot of DB since his early days in Calgary but I definitely feel like he’s a substantial downgrade on an already weak spot.

But it’s pretty clear that we’re all in on pass rush and I think that’s a good idea in this era of pass interference pretty much negating any attempt to cover anyway.

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hecht is a concern.  Biggest flaw in our D last season was Loffler’s lack of range and struggle to pick the right route to get on top of in match coverages.  Haven’t seen Hecht play a lot of DB since his early days in Calgary but I definitely feel like he’s a substantial downgrade on an already weak spot.

But it’s pretty clear that we’re all in on pass rush and I think that’s a good idea in this era of pass interference pretty much negating any attempt to cover anyway.

Agreed that Hecht is a potential concern. For all of his other faults, Chris Jones was an excellent defensive coordinator and, by extension, a good assessor of talent. Hecht was assessed as not good enough and I do not know how he could suddenly improve due to a geographical change. Wilson is a bit more of a mixed bag and at least deserves a change to play himself on or off the team. I just hope we do not let him twist in the wind if he is not the answer.

I too have concern for Hecht and Wilson. I watched Hecht bounce off tackles in the pre season game in Wpg. I think he has the mind for it but his size and tackling ability was seriously lacking from what I saw on the field. As for Wilson, I like others on here am concerned for the fact that he didn't stand out. I guess that is good if you are looking at standing out in a negative way but our last two starters there, first Wild then JSK both were constantly being mentioned for how many tackles they were racking up and big plays they were making. I haven't seen, heard or read anything like that on Wilson and that's what makes me nervous about him. There....I feel better now.  

46 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I was wondering who'd be this years player the fans love to complain about. Hecht is winning the 'Sam Hurl' award this year for sure.

I have nothing against Hecht. If he won the job, it is what it is.

I'm certainly disappointed that Jones couldn't win the job though. I thought we were going to get better play from the spot than what we are.

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I think Hecht will surprise some of you.  Jones will be the starter next season but I think the coaches think he could use another year if seasoning.  Hecht may not be the fastest but his years in the league will prove its worth.

I’m not worried.

Jones has been in Wpg. since 2014 and is now among the longest serving Bombers, not sure why he should require any more seasoning.  I'm hoping the reason he's under Hecht is injury related.

There's a good reason that this board (in general) was quite content to let Loffler walk for the money he was supposedly seeking. Yes, was an All Star but most recognized the weaknesses in his game. Further, a lot of knowledgeable posters, including Booch, pointed out how easily he could be replaced and that the safety position was not that critical.

In the case of Hurl, he played in a key position. The quarterback of the defense and he lacked the ability to make plays. That was far more worrisome for good reason. 

Meh, our d-line is gonna slit throats this year.

Loffler did absolutely nothing since his first year besides blow guys up. Half the time he got penalized too (even though they were usually bad calls).

Looked good with big hits, but was usually being burned out there. He was a lot like Fogg, the odd big play but usually got absolutely torched most games.

Not worried about safety at all. If it's your defense's only concern I'd say that's pretty good 

Edited by Dr Zaius