Training Camp Cuts

Jpan85

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

The fact that you could only remember one play is the proof in the pudding. 

Well he had a similar play in Edm. Had a few decent blocks in that game as well. Also blocked a punt in....bc I think. 

He's got the talent, just needs to figure it out or get in the right situation.

Edited by Bigblue204

20 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

It’s like saying you’ll cut Matthews because Lawler played better in two preseason games. Even if it’s true, they serve completely different purposes. Neither Petermann or Schrot will ever be a great WR. They are pure slot guys. If Matthews or Adams go down, we literally have no one to replace either of them other than pushing Wolitarsky back outside. All the import guys who have performed well in camp are slots. 

Why can't Petermann be a great receiver ?

Because he doesn't look like Simonise? Even though he has done great every chance he has had? 

How ridiculous.

I like Simonise and would have liked to see him stick, but he has not shown enough to think he is a star in waiting. 

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Well he had a similar play in Edm. Had a few decent blocks in that game as well. Also blocked a punt in....bc I think. 

He's got the talent, just needs to figure it out or get in the right situation.

Agreed.

Hopefully he figures it out, seems like s good kid.

Too bad about Simonise ...a guy with lot of talent that can't seem to take that next step...Did the local kid Schrott impress the heck out of the coaching staff ??  There's a spot for a canuck receiver with this release now...maybe the kid fills the bill...It seemed through the reports at tc that Simonise wasn't out with the first team much and was being relegated ...Off to Regina I guess...along with Bennett who did this trip before...UNLESS Kahri in Mont. shows interest, I see the green guys grabbing him...They're most likely drooling at the possibility of signing a few off our other cuts

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Why can't Petermann be a great receiver ?

Because he doesn't look like Simonise? Even though he has done great every chance he has had? 

How ridiculous.

I like Simonise and would have liked to see him stick, but he has not shown enough to think he is a star in waiting. 

You’re clearly misunderstanding. He’s a slot. Simonise is a wide receiver. That’s it. 

At what point do you accept that there is something missing with Simonise. This is a guy who was NFL bound a couple years ago... Now he got cut in the CFL. His head is obviously not in to football that much. Potential means nothing if you do nothing with it. WR? Slot? Who cares. If something isn't there with him.. Then it isnt there. 

Edited by Goalie

Where did this kid McGuire come from?....surprised the hell out of me in the preseason tilts...He sounds and looks like a guy with a lot of potential and most likely why Bennett is gone...Has to prove himself in real game time though and IF he can....a diamond unearthed...

5 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

You’re clearly misunderstanding. He’s a slot. Simonise is a wide receiver. That’s it. 

I am not even really convinced Petermann couldn't play the wideout decently if need be, but why do we need an NI backing up a clearly Import heavy spot? 

Ill leave on this note.. The ppl who have seen these guys almost daily for a few weeks now and even a season or 2 now have decided they aren't good enough. Thats good enough for me since im not there everyday. Im not the GM or coaches who see what goes on behind the scenes or in the film room or even on the practice field. 

Simonise? Obviously lacked something. 

Bennet? Same thing.. Been around a few seasons.. The rookie looks just as good.. Yeah u go with the rookie

Edited by Goalie

Maybe Simonise, and more likely Bennett, are victims of the salary cap crunch as well. Surprised about Bennett given his special teams work and FG holding when Dressler was out, not sure McGuire was clearly better, but if you are primarily here to hold a clipboard, then you might as well be the cheapest guy on the team. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Maybe Simonise, and more likely Bennett, are victims of the salary cap crunch as well. Surprised about Bennett given his special teams work and FG holding when Dressler was out, not sure McGuire was clearly better, but if you are primarily here to hold a clipboard, then you might as well be the cheapest guy on the team. 

Bennett has been learning the CFL for a few years now... McGuire is a raw rookie. They looked very similar. The kid who just got off the plane and stepped foot in Canada the 1st time looked as good as the guy around for a few seasons. Cap? Nope. Ability.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ill leave on this note.. The ppl who have seen these guys almost daily for a few weeks now and even a season or 2 now have decided they aren't good enough. Thats good enough for me since im not there everyday. Im not the GM or coaches who see what goes on behind the scenes or in the film room or even on the practice field. 

Simonise? Obviously lacked something. 

Bennet? Same thing.. Been around a few seasons.. The rookie looks just as good.. Yeah u go with the rookie

One thing I believe about qb's. If you are 3rd string one year, you should be backup the next season. If don't get to sit and be 3rd stringer 2 years in a row. Watford is gone and that's why.  Bennett hasn't displaced Shreveller so bye bye.  The 3rd spot is a development position. If they want to keep him beyond this point it will be on practice roster.  That very well may happen, you have to get cut before you are offered PR spot. Don't be surprised if Bennett isn't on your PR

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We all wanted Simonise to work out because the tools are all there... but this team isn't in a wait for guys to maybe work out mode, they are in a let's ******* win mode so when other people play better tough luck.

Simonise is the kind of guy at this point in his career who ends up on Montreal's practice roster and never amounts to anything as a professional football player.  Its similar to when they released Faith Ekakatie. Maybe the guy still had some upside but we needed a player on the roster who was reliable right now. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Simonise is the kind of guy at this point in his career who ends up on Montreal's practice roster and never amounts to anything as a professional football player.  Its similar to when they released Faith Ekakatie. Maybe the guy still had some upside but we needed a player on the roster who was reliable right now. 

Not saying that Simonise will ever be great, let alone good but he was always miles better than Ekakitie. That guy was a disaster the moment he was drafted. The worst example of being afraid to draft a guy who would test the NFL at 1. 

I think it's the special teams factor. He doesn't play them. And he is falling behind as far as being a consistent receiver. Does he still have potential? Loads. Hope it doesn't bite us. But the roster is an organic thing. We may end up signing a proven Canadian WR somewhere down the line when we need one. But we definitely don't now and we definitely don't need someone who can't help us this year

Fact is that Peterman has made plays every time he has got a chance, wolitarski made plays when he got a chance... simonise made a play and that's about it. Earn your spot, he didn't do it. 

Say what you will about Kyle Walter's but he is not sentimental about his draft picks. He moves on when guys don't show enough.