Training Camp Cuts

Jpan85

42 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Does the Simonize release open up a spot for schrott?

I hope so. He was our most effective Canadian receiver in preseason... pretty good for the undrafted local kid who didn't even get signed until after camp started.

Just now, Atomic said:

I hope so. He was our most effective Canadian receiver in preseason... pretty good for the undrafted local kid who didn't even get signed until after camp started.

Petermann was pretty good too. But yeah it would be cool if Schrot made the team. He might be a diamond in the rough

I guess the team just got tired of waiting for Simonise to actually realize his potential and would rather go to battle with a player like Schrott who doesn’t have the raw ability but they should at least be able to know what they can expect from him. 

5 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I guess the team just got tired of waiting for Simonise to actually realize his potential and would rather go to battle with a player like Schrott who doesn’t have the raw ability but they should at least be able to know what they can expect from him. 

By raw ability you mean height, right? Haha

11 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Simonise played himself off the team on Thursday.  Just too many drops.  I was hoping he'd take that next step this year but it didn't seem to be happening.

That's what it comes down to. As a receiver if you drop passes you don't make the team.

Cutting a guy with a ton of talent for drops in one game is not the way I would go about things. It’s how you end up gifting another team 5 years of prime Adarius Bowman. And that was at least an issue with drops over an entire season. Not saying this will burn us for sure, but he was the only Canadian receiver of that body type and type of talent that we had. 

Just now, Mr Dee said:

But with others waiting in the wings, how long do you wait?

Petermann and Schrot are only similar to Simonise in terms of their passport. He’s a pure jump ball wideout. No other Canadian replaces that, even if they become superior receivers. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

Petermann and Schrot are only similar to Simonise in terms of their passport. He’s a pure jump ball wideout. No other Canadian replaces that, even if they become superior receivers. 

And I thought he was good on special teams.

I agree with you about gifting him to another team. I feel very conflicted about this cut. Disappointed too. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

When did you ever see simonize out jump a dB and make a contested catch.  Not enough to stay on the team. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Even if they become superior receivers? 

Well then, who cares if he’s a jump ball wideout?

Everybody’s disappointed when a high prospect bombs out, but that’s just what happened.

It’s like saying you’ll cut Matthews because Lawler played better in two preseason games. Even if it’s true, they serve completely different purposes. Neither Petermann or Schrot will ever be a great WR. They are pure slot guys. If Matthews or Adams go down, we literally have no one to replace either of them other than pushing Wolitarsky back outside. All the import guys who have performed well in camp are slots. 

7 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

When did you ever see simonize out jump a dB and make a contested catch.  Not enough to stay on the team. 

It’s hard to see he had all that much opportunity. Again, not saying he ends up being good, just saying this is probably rash.