Bomber Backup QB Battle

So I wasn't able to catch the radio feed last night, but I see MacGuire and Bennett are still duking it out out there.  I guess the debate is who secures that 3rd spot.

Was also trying to find out why Streveler saw no action last night.  I am going to assume the coaches have him already penciled in as our number 2 based on last year's work, but I've really never seen any situations in the past here where our number 2 only played 2 total series in a preseason.  Just hope he didn't start losing favor with the coaches.

Bennett vs MacGuire ... Well I guess you could make a case either way.  I like what I seen from Mac so far, and granted part of it was seeing him escape from those EDM defenders last week and fire that pass complete.  Guess the question is is he a product of preseason where backup QBs trying to make the team may take a few risks against the backups on the other team and get a few wows like Troy Kopp or Robert Marve?  Or is he the kind of guy you'd trust to take the controls in the heat of the season when everything matters?

On the other hand, Bennett has been here longer and should by default know the playbook better.  But we haven't really seen him in too much meaningful action apart from mop up duty in the blowout game in Montreal, and then our meaningless ender in Edmonton.

I'm willing to bet though if either Bennett or MacGuire don't make the cut, one of them will be heading East and usurping somebody in either Montreal or Ottawa.  At least in my opinion, I'd definitely take either Mac or Bennett over Jeff Matthews or Domanique Davis.

I think bennett has the spot based on experience and familiarity with the system. That said if Mcguire had to draw in, it wouldn't be cause for any concern at all. I expect he will sit on the PR and be groomed. He looked fantastic. Especially for a raw rookie.  I really hope he sits and is in camp next year. 

Bennett is #3. He's gotten better (which you obviously want out of your back-up) in the last couple of years.

Having said that, I hope the Bombers do what they can to keep McGuire around as both Streveler & Nichols are set to be free agents after 2019. He looks good so far.

And dare I say it, based on limited preseason action, Bennett & McGuire looked like more accurate passers than Streveler.

Bennett to me is a guy who can be a starter in this league and has the experience now to provide some insurance. If Nichols goes down to a season ending injury in week 1 Id much rather have  kept Bennett around than McGuire if we can't keep both. I mean we would be down to Streveler with 1 year out of college and McGuire.  

24 minutes ago, Tracker said:

O'Shea waited until Willy was nearly reduced to a gibbering wreck before starting Nichols and look how long it took him to pull Nichols in the Labour Day "Classic".

Yes ok but what does that have to do with Bryan Bennett? I'm struggling to see a parallel here.

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes ok but what does that have to do with Bryan Bennett? I'm struggling to see a parallel here.

IO'Shea is loyal to a fault to his veterans and at times that has been a detriment to the team. I think O'Shea sees Bennett as his kind of guy and will cut hmi all kinds of slack.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

O'Shea waited until Willy was nearly reduced to a gibbering wreck before starting Nichols and look how long it took him to pull Nichols in the Labour Day "Classic".

Nichols threw his second pick six right before halftime, and Streveler played the whole second half.  When should O'Shea have pulled Nichols in the LDC?

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

O'Shea is loyal to a fault to his veterans and at times that has been a detriment to the team. I think O'Shea sees Bennett as his kind of guy and will cut hmi all kinds of slack.

You don't think Bennett can make the team on merit alone?

49 minutes ago, Tracker said:

IO'Shea is loyal to a fault to his veterans and at times that has been a detriment to the team. I think O'Shea sees Bennett as his kind of guy and will cut hmi all kinds of slack.

How much slack do you think a QB3 needs?  If we're down to our 3rd stringer playing, I would expect MOS to give him some rope because what other options would he have?  

Bennett is a crazy athlete but he doesn’t have the accuracy to consistently hit those midrange passes that CFL offenses are built on.  Have only seen a bit of McGuire but he’s shown some passing ability.  Bennett is more of a thrower.  For a 3rd string guy who isn’t going to get reps, might be advantageous to have a guy who can launch deep balls and run, but if I had to pick one to develop it would be McGuire.  Hopefully we keep both for the time being.

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Are we liking McGuire because he's the new kid?   Irving and O'Shea both said Bennett looked very smooth and calm in the pocket and that he has a big arm and is very accurate.  

and McGuire is younger and very raw and also looked smooth and calm in the pocket and showed accuracy. They were both good, people are just thinking the new kid has a lot more potential. 

A lot of the time our 3rd string qb has had all the tools but that is it. They end up having to learn how to be a pro QB but never end up getting there. Reading defences, accuracy, putting a nice touch on the ball, making good decisions, throwing the receivers open... Those are all things good QBs do.

McGuire seems to not only have the tools but possesses some of those traits. 

Now like Ripper mentioned, it's about getting to backup QB for next year. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't understand how cutting Bennett is hedging their bets.

because McGuire is probably seen as more likely to develop into a guy who can back up properly with a bit of experience. I think at best Bennett is a guy you hope can do enough with his legs and big arm to win.