GDT Pre-season Game 2 - Bombers @ Riders

BBlink

Oh, it mattered,” said Bombers quarterback Sean McGuire, who scored the game-winning touchdown on a one-yard sneak with 2:15 left in the game. “There are a lot of rookies in this room and it was an opportunity to prove what they have and just get an opportunity to play football.

“I don’t care if we were playing in the parking lot or somebody’s backyard… this is the best game in the world. To be able to come out and play in this environment, I don’t care if it was preseason or not, we all wanted to win. I’m glad we got it.”

O’Shea said the team will gather Friday afternoon to watch the game film and then the staff will spend the evening working on the roster before they make their decisions.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/06/07/gane-recap-wpg-35-ssk-29/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

McGuire or Bennett... who would have thought that would turn out be one of the most compelling battles of the preseason. 

So who ya got?

Honestly i would go with Mcguire...because of his potential.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

find it interesting that the Sask media thinks their offence will be fine and that Collaros looks like the real deal after that performance, against a group of guys who largely will be cuts and PR guys..that false sense of calm and happiness will turn into dire reality in Hamilton...I don't see it and when that Ol-ine couldnt keep our D-line at bay from pressure with all our subs...imagine when the starters are in there with Biggie

Nichols has very similar numbers to Collaros and a lot of Bomber fans are saying he had a bad game.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I would lean the same way honestly. He's come in as a young raw rookie and looked poised and accurate with his throws. Bennett has been real good too though so I don't know if there is a wrong answer. 

I'd go with Bennett as the 3rd string. I'm not sure if it will play into the decision but Bennett would be a FA next year if he's not extended while McGuire is signed for next year.

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

What are your thoughts on the Riders going into this season?  From the outside it looks like lots of question marks, especially regarding Collaros, Craig Dickenson, and whether the defence can continue to be as dominant as they were under Chris Jones.  I haven't been following their camp too closely though so I'm curious what the fans are saying.

Defense will more or less the same and for the most part the strength of team. Adding Powell is a big plus for us.  I don't mind our team, we will do ok

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Best scenario is to keep it as status quo...and put McGuire on the PR as we normally have a QB there so that would be the obvious choice..Bennet offers more at this point not just as a QB and is also more familiar with the league..teams..and offence 

Bennett looked good, I always said it was a mistake for us to let him go.  Whitehead is a threat, plain and simple

Edited by Ripper

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Bennett looked good, I always said it was a mistake for us to let him go.  Whitehead is a threat, plain and simple

Yeah Bennett has always intrigued me too. When he left here the first time I thought it was a mistake. I think given another year or two he could be a starter in the league. Just depends on his development really. Has all the tools.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Bennett has always intrigued me too. When he left here the first time I thought it was a mistake. I think given another year or two he could be a starter in the league. Just depends on his development really. Has all the tools.

Nice composure in there. Didn't seem to be worried as pocket collapsed, stuck with his reads and delivered the ball.  Our young qb Harker was very good also, this kid looks good

3 hours ago, Booch said:

find it interesting that the Sask media thinks their offence will be fine and that Collaros looks like the real deal after that performance, against a group of guys who largely will be cuts and PR guys..that false sense of calm and happiness will turn into dire reality in Hamilton...I don't see it and when that Ol-ine couldnt keep our D-line at bay from pressure with all our subs...imagine when the starters are in there with Biggie

If I recall correctly and this is just from listening to the radio but when Collaros started moving the ball and they got their scores, we had Griffith and Lachance in on the DL and Briggs at MLB, plus an assortment of guys in the secondary. Choudja was on the DL too at that time. So he looked good against our C squad. Whoop De Doo.

even the starting lineup was lean with guys with any experience...a Reilly...BLM...even Harris and Nichols would have carved that up working with their projected offensive starters..wins and losses mean jack in the pre-season but losing at home...with most your starters against bubble guys and never were gonna make it guys...has to be troublesome. I know if that was reversed and we lost a similar game..I'd be very bothered and not too optimistic 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

even the starting lineup was lean with guys with any experience...a Reilly...BLM...even Harris and Nichols would have carved that up working with their projected offensive starters..wins and losses mean jack in the pre-season but losing at home...with most your starters against bubble guys and never were gonna make it guys...has to be troublesome. I know if that was reversed and we lost a similar game..I'd be very bothered and not too optimistic 

Ya , imagine if we had lost that game against Edm... Some people here are already calling for O'Shea's head. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Yeah I was a little confused after reading how excited they were. And listening to the Piffles crew in the background on the feed. Our third stringers bust through the line and are all over Harker and he has to ditch the ball and the comment was "good toss away"....🤔

he's not wrong... the circumstances leading up to the throw away were bad but getting rid of the ball before taking a sack is always the better play...