GDT Tiger-Cats @ RedBlacks

Zontar

I heard Rod Black describe Mexico as "Central America" - what a f***ing bonehead.  The QB play for both Ham-Ott in this game, the playcalling and offence in general looked to be way ahead of where the Bombers appear to be at this stage.  In fact, the overall speed,  compete level and violence in the Ham-Ott game made Bombers vs Esks look like pixies playing in fairyland. Hayden Moore and Dane Evans are going to be good replacements for Masoli when he gets hurt. Crockett and Sumpter look to be excellent receiver finds for the Cats. Dom Davis looked unsurprisingly good for the Redblacks (I have always been a Dom Davis fan) and he should be the starter there ahead of Jennings - in fact #3 QB Danny Collins looked better than Jennings. DeVonte Dedmon looks like a real find at WR and returner for Redblacks.

Edited by Doublezero

10 hours ago, Doublezero said:

I heard Rod Black describe Mexico as "Central America" - what a f***ing bonehead.  The QB play for both Ham-Ott in this game, the playcalling and offence in general looked to be way ahead of where the Bombers appear to be at this stage.  In fact, the overall speed,  compete level and violence in the Ham-Ott game made Bombers vs Esks look like pixies playing in fairyland. Hayden Moore and Dane Evans are going to be good replacements for Masoli when he gets hurt. Crockett and Sumpter look to be excellent receiver finds for the Cats. Dom Davis looked unsurprisingly good for the Redblacks (I have always been a Dom Davis fan) and he should be the starter there ahead of Jennings - in fact #3 QB Danny Collins looked better than Jennings. DeVonte Dedmon looks like a real find at WR and returner for Redblacks.

Davis looked good in previous pre seasons and looked very mediocre come regular season.   I wouldn't get that excited just yet.

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

Davis looked good in previous pre seasons and looked very mediocre come regular season.   I wouldn't get that excited just yet.

Yeah I'm a Davis fan, but he's done this dance before. He needs to prove he's the real deal while the bullets are flying. Not during a game of laser tag.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Davis wasn't given enough regular season reps in Winnipeg to make a meaningful evaluation.

He's above average and I'm not surprised Redblacks just named him QB #1 for regular season: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/dominique-davis-oittawa-redblacks-quarterback-1.5160199

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Davis wasn't given enough regular season reps in Winnipeg to make a meaningful evaluation.

He's above average and I'm not surprised Redblacks just named him QB #1 for regular season: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/dominique-davis-oittawa-redblacks-quarterback-1.5160199

3 seasons and couldn't get play time.... 

5 hours ago, Doublezero said:

I believe this is an example of "damning with faint praise".

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Davis kind of strikes me as a qb who can be thrown off by a lot of pressure. I think that'd be my plan until he shows that he can make plays in the face of pressure. Just keep coming after him. 

We're there in week 4. I'm not sure if we'll need to show blitz on every play, as our front 4 may be able to get to him anyhow, but I would certainly consider it. It would keep him on his toes watching for a combination of Bighill, Jeffcoat, Jefferson, etc. coming in for the hit. Never mind the interior guys who should be able to push through too. 

Edited by JCon

9 hours ago, Doublezero said:

If as you say that he wasn't given enough reps to make a meaningful evaluation when he played here then how can you say he's above average?

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If as you say that he wasn't given enough reps to make a meaningful evaluation when he played here then how can you say he's above average?

Based on his stats from last year with the Redblacks when he played in 8 games. More opportunity there than he ever had here. His completion percentage and QB efficiency rating from 2018 was higher than Streveler, Collaros, Pipkin, Jeff Matthews and even BLM. Plus, Davis can take off and run very effectively. That's what I like about him, he's a mobile QB who can only get better with more game time reps.  I think he's exciting to watch. Just my opinion but now that he's the starter for them, lets wait and see :)

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

Based on his stats from last year with the Redblacks when he played in 8 games. More opportunity there than he ever had here. His completion percentage and QB efficiency rating from 2018 was higher than Streveler, Collaros, Pipkin, Jeff Matthews and even BLM. Plus, Davis can take off and run very effectively. That's what I like about him, he's a mobile QB who can only get better with more game time reps.  I think he's exciting to watch. Just my opinion but now that he's the starter for them, lets wait and see :)

He played in the final week of the season in a garbage game ?   Aside from that he had  6 games where he had only zero or one completions?  He had only 39 pass attempts with Ottawa and 29 with Winnipeg the season before....  hardly more of an opportunity.  

11 hours ago, bb1 said:

I can only go by when he started for us when Nichols got hurt and he was definitely a deer in the headlights QB...but Ottawa doesn't have much of a choice right now.

He didn't start for us when Nichols got hurt.

That's the problem I have with his time here.  Nichols got hurt early and Davis came in cold with #2 reps - no boohoo's, that's the life of the backup QB.  He didn't catch fire right out of the gate but also had 2 terrible wide-open hit-them-in-the-hands drops from his receivers (one was Dressler) on 2nd down that killed any positive momentum he might have gained and desperately needed.  Then the "fans" do what they do and start booing, so LeFevour gets the nod after halftime.  He was no better.  Worse considering Davis at least protected the ball.

Okay, Davis didn't look great but now you have the whole week to let him practise with the number 1 offence and get all the starter reps before the Calgary game.  Instead they go back to Lefevour and made him the starter.  No surprise, he sucked and almost got Harris decapitated on one of the dumbest screen passes I've ever seen thrown.

Do I care that Davis is gone?  We seem to have some good ones here.

Is Davis good?  I don't know.  We had a chance to find out and instead went with Cowbell LeFevour.  He'll probably get a few games to find his way in Ottawa.  I'm sure he'll have struggles, there's no substitute for having a 300 pound DT squash you when it comes to learning how to QB.

I guess I wish him well.  He continued to stick it out in football waiting for his break.  This is it.  Good luck to him.

Davis isn’t mobile, but he is black so it’s often been stated that way.  

His biggest weakness has proven to be making a play when he has to move off his first read, he’s definitely a pocket passer, live arm.  Ottawa liked him because they can envision him running a pretty standard quick read ball control offense, with a workhorse tailback .  It will be interesting to see how that plays out with Elizondo gone and if any RB steps up into Powell’s place.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Davis isn’t mobile, but he is black so it’s often been stated that way.  

His biggest weakness has proven to be making a play when he has to move off his first read, he’s definitely a pocket passer, live arm.  Ottawa liked him because they can envision him running a pretty standard quick read ball control offense, with a workhorse tailback .  It will be interesting to see how that plays out with Elizondo gone and if any RB steps up into Powell’s place.

He looks to be running OK here: https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/qb-davis-takes-it-43-yards-10944749

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

Do I care that Davis is gone?  We seem to have some good ones here.

Is Davis good?  I don't know.  We had a chance to find out and instead went with Cowbell LeFevour.

So I think that speaks volumes about the assessment that the coaches did. That offseason they dropped both Davis and TheFever and brought in a bunch of new backups, including signing a very experienced Darian Durant. They made their assessment of both qbs and said "next"