GDT Pre-season Game 1 - Edmonton at Bombers

Floyd

39 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Real nice to see the big play by Schrott.  About the only highlight for me really.

Kid from the Rifles makes the highlight reel twice in limited action. Good for him.

In days of yore when the Bombers had zilch for NI talent, a performance like that would get him a PR gig and a chance at being an injury call-up ala Brett Carter.

5 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Kid from the Rifles makes the highlight reel twice in limited action. Good for him.

In days of yore when the Bombers had zilch for NI talent, a performance like that would get him a PR gig and a chance at being an injury call-up ala Brett Carter.

I thought Schrot was a Bison? 

25 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

RF.com seem to think it's just "nerves".....yup a guy with that much CFL and NFL exp would be nervous in a preseason game...

Ryan adapted to a new style in the NFL. Angle punting and hang time. He probably isn't programmed to punt for length. 

You don't usually lose length on punts like that with age. I didn't watch the riders play though so not sure what's up with him. Will be interesting to see. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who said that? Accuracy can be taught. 

The posted link was to a guy who apparently has a good track record of assessing and grooming quarterbacks in the Excited States. He was pretty definitive on the point.

24 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The posted link was to a guy who apparently has a good track record of assessing and grooming quarterbacks in the Excited States. He was pretty definitive on the point.

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit/

example of born accuracy

Edited by Mark F

My thoughts on the game.

1. 1st play of the game, Streveler to Whitehead. Streveler actually threw a great ball, Whitehead straight up stopped mid route for some reason. Streveler didnt show much otherwise.

2. Whitehead despite the mental error on play 1 still showed fairly well I thought. Speed for days, maybe the fastest player we've had in for a few years. 

3. Dline will be good!!!

4.love the way Lawler attacks the ball, just needs to come down with it!!

5.love seeing the local kid score like that, what a great night for him.

Nice to be back, but man preseason games can be boring. Pretty basic O and D today on both sides, wouldn't look into the success or lack there of from the OL.

Deeisms 

👁‍🗨Different blitzing situations but...

Bennett, McGuire and Streveler, in that order this game.

👁‍🗨Don’t know how they did but exchanging all those O-Linemen and allowing only 2 sacks is pretty good. What a process.

👁‍🗨Streveler- leading rusher 34 The 3 QBs had the best average gains.

👁‍🗨Based on chances, Petermann had a good game.

👁‍🗨The return game - some nice options. On to the next evaluations...in Sask

👁‍🗨TSN has a new play by play guy, Dustin Nielsen, who’s going to do 8 games this year. Let’s hope it’s in place of Rod Black

👁‍🗨We got to see how important the kicking game is..

👁‍🗨Joseph Este - 5 tackles including 2 ST, he’s gotta stick

👁‍🗨Bombers had a good run defence, and a good pass defence.

👁‍🗨3 QB sacks, 5 pass knockdowns, and a huge forced fumble.

👁‍🗨Carry of the game - Jamarcus Hardrick with Dylan Schrot on his back!

👁‍🗨So many home town boys in this game!

Quote - “The incredible culture that O’Shea instills in the Bombers locker room really showed in this game” - the Ratio Breaker

28 minutes ago, bb1 said:

All this on Streveler...meh,he was working with a patchwork oline and new to the CFL rec against the first string Edm def. Lets see what he brings next week when everything is more settled.

Not actually a first string Edm D. 

But I agree, for me, I don't put much weight on the pre-season games.  We don't know what the coaches is trying to see and evaluate on each snaps. And all plays are vanilla. 
How many times in the past we liked a certain player because he was good in pre-season games, only to see him one of the cuts. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

All this on Streveler...meh,he was working with a patchwork oline and new to the CFL rec against the first string Edm def. Lets see what he brings next week when everything is more settled.

Irving said not a single one of the projected 12 starters for Edmonton played in the game.. 

*edit* From Ed Tait:

As well, the Eskimos left a ton of regulars back in Edmonton and dressed a lineup that featured 0 projected starters on defence and just four on offence.

Edited by Noeller

11 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Just a thought, I hope we can pick up (just like how Esks did it when they pickup Richards) Shai Ross when/if he was cut by the Esks. 

What's the point, the Bombers already have plenty of Natl. talent.  I'd like to know the plan for Simonese and Petermann, if they don't find a way to use them they'll be gone in the off-season.

I wasn’t happy with Streveler last night but a lot of bad circumstances came together to make his passing performance look worse than it was. On the first passing play of the game, Whitehead completely broke off his route for no reason and he would have had a real chance at it otherwise. It also seemed like even with the vanilla pre-season playcalling, Bennett and McGuire were given high percentage slants and curls that weren’t called or there when Streveler was in. 

On a similar note, I love Whitehead’s speed but it’s very clear that he’s not a natural receiver. He doesn’t run great routes and seems to be a straight line speed guy almost exclusively. Nelson is a great returner in his own right with much more refined receiver skill. I’d much rather Nelson make the final roster than Whitehead, despite the hype. 

Wish we would have seen more from Bailey last night as it felt like they were going to force the ball to Lawler as much as possible. It makes me feel like the decision to have him as the fifth receiver is essentially already made. 

Isn't the question which of the three quarterbacks looked better? They were all playing with players who are not starters.

although I think Chip is right about which passes they were asked to throw affecting this.

Logan Kilgore looked accurate and decisive......Maas is a good coach for a quarterback to learn under.

Nelson also played defensive back a fair bit in College. Helps his chances I think. Need a Charles on the team.

Edited by Mark F

Streveler's play was disappointing last night.  You can't be a success in this league if all you are is a glorified running back who tries to play QB.  This is a passing league and we need a back up with accuracy.  Many of you have put way too much faith in this guy and I'm concerned that he's charmed you with his ability to run away from danger but he needs to show he can be a good game manager.  If all he does is run the ball.  That's pretty easy to defend.  

I want him to succeed but I'm worried my initial concerns about him are being proven out.       

Sure Whitehead didn't take one all the way but this was his first CFL game and you can see it's there.  All he needs to do is get more reps.  I agree with your concerns about his receiving skills but I think he's the better returner over Nelson.  Nelson is a receiver who can also return.  But Whitehead is a returner that can kinda play receiver.   It's been years since we've had a guy who is a threat to take it to the house everytime he gets the ball.  That's what I want.