GDT Pre-season Game 1 - Edmonton at Bombers

Floyd

5 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

A little surprised they're not sitting Andrew Harris out this one, keeping him fresh for the season given his workload will be paramount.

Biggest thing I'm keeping an eye on is our DBs.  Got a lot of replacing to do there that would hope we can hold our own on.

Again - that's why the Bryant thing is strange...  same logic applied to Bryant should apply to Harris - especially with Oliviera and Augstine chomping at the bit

Just now, Atomic said:

Really not unusual to rest starters in the first preseason game, this seems like such an odd thing to debate...

The league-wide trend has been to play your starters at home, but not bring them on the road.

I would have sat Harris and put in "Big Chris" Matthews, especially since Nichols and Strev haven't thrown in game to him yet.  Gotta get that chemistry going, and I want to see whether or not he can still track down deep balls and snare them in, unlike Lousy Langford.

Edited by USABomberfan

Harris is dressed but will probably take a few carries...a few passes...get the feel for game speed and getting hit a couple times and then be done...I'm sure we will see heavy doses of Augustine and Oliviera..and we know with Bryant what we got..why risk losing him to injury especially against a bunch of newbies doing whatever to make a mark with the Esk's...we gotta let our new guys see what they can do, and really...these guys are all pro's and not some pilons off the street...the o-line will be fine for a first pre-season game

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I would have sat Harris and put in "Big Chris" Matthews, especially since Nichols and Strev haven't thrown in game to him yet.  Gotta get that chemistry going, and I want to see whether or not he can still track down deep balls and snare them in, unlike Lousy Langford.

Matthews showed he could do that in his games last year...and in practice this year...I wouldn't worry about him...

15 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Just saw the note about the live stream for tonight's game.  Guessing it's a stationary cam up in Irving and Brown's radio booth?

May not be quite as good as the TSN cameras, but at least there'll be no need to mute Rod Black or Glen Suitor.

Glen Suitor is horrible. 

40 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He has also had some minor injury in camp.

We are at a point where our Core players don't need a lot of reps to get ready. Rest and maintain or recovering health is the biggest value to most of them. That said, on the OL with the turn over we have getting some reps in with as close to the projected starters as you can get is important to build chemistry. 

Without Neufeld or Hardrick I would think Bryant too would sit and wed get them in next week. If gray is playing next to him and couture at center though you can still get a lot of value out of having the guy next to you in the trenches for some reps. Even if not the whole OL.

Its also very possible that Bryant, Harris, etc want the reps. Mos is the ultimate player's coach and in preseason leaves it up to the players for how many reps they need. So its fully possible that either they wanted some reps. Some guys just need more time to get re-acclimated. Other guys just wanna get out there asap and hit guys playing for another team ASAP after the offseason. (cant blame them) 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We are at a point where our Core players don't need a lot of reps to get ready.

Also...it's training camp, not the last practise before the Grey Cup.  The primary purpose of tonight's game is to evaluate players to determine who should be on the roster.

It's an exhibition game, it's going to have its ugly moments, the coaches will have to isolate the play of individuals from the play of the team.  There will be one or two guys on our roster who may be working at Arby's* in a month.  We're looking for the diamonds among the cubic zirconium tonight, not a lot more.

* With three Mexican players on the team, there was a temptation to make a Taco Bell joke, but I'm too classy.

Personally, I'm excited to watch the game tonight.   I want to see what the local guys can do on the field, along with getting a good look at the newcomers and some of the second year guys that are bucking to move up on the depth chart.   I have no issue with the vets getting a night off.

Edited by Jaxon
spelling

Bob Irving stated he doubts if there will be any cuts after this game. I gotta believe, going into the final pre-season game, that some cuts have to be made so they can narrow their focus on who really have a chance. Unless some really shine tonight, the bubble players’ bubble will be burst.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Bob Irving stated he doubts if there will be any cuts after this game. I gotta believe, going into the final pre-season game, that some cuts have to be made so they can narrow their focus on who really have a chance. Unless some really shine tonight, the bubble players’ bubble will be burst.

I believe the cut down day (there is only 1 now) is June 8th, which is 2 days after the 2nd PS game. I'd doubt we see many (or ANY) cuts before they have to...

Yeah, that’s the official, ‘have to cut down day’, but you can release anybody at any time, and with a few veterans going in for the Sask. game, that leaves less snaps for some who are competing. 

If you have 3 guys for one spot, and one doesn’t look good tonight, then what’s the point? 

I believe they have a grasp of who’s who, and now is the time for some final grades.