Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Dee

2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Thats who I thought of too.

Bilikudi was a 3rd rounder that we took a flyer on but kinda knew he wasn't real interested but in the 3rd round what the hell. Mulumba might be a more apt comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big difference between Chapman and all these guys is that the NFL showed zero interest in him before or shortly after his draft and he still never even considered the CFL. He didn`t show up for the Draft camp either. I`m really unsure what made Hamilton think he would play when every indication was that he had zero interest in the CFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Bilikudi was a 3rd rounder that we took a flyer on but kinda knew he wasn't real interested but in the 3rd round what the hell. Mulumba might be a more apt comparison.

Even better one yup.  I always confused those 2. Both with solid NFL aspirations and zero desire to play here in the CFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It is more like Bilukidi

Not at all... Bilukidi was a flyer who was going to the NFL - like Onyemata

Ekakitie and Chapman just lost interest in football - both first overall picks who just didn't care about the CFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Floyd said:

Not at all... Bilukidi was a flyer who was going to the NFL - like Onyemata

Ekakitie and Chapman just lost interest in football - both first overall picks who just didn't care about the CFL

Ekakatie blew his Achilles out and never recovered.

Not a good comparison. 

Mulumba is pretty solid. But even he had interest in the CFL he just wanted to be paid too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Ekakatie blew his Achilles out and never recovered.

Not a good comparison. 

Mulumba is pretty solid. But even he had interest in the CFL he just wanted to be paid too much.

It sounded like there was some CFL interest last year from his camp, but neither he nor his agent did any digging into how contracts are structured. Then they whined publicly to the media about it despite never having countered Walters' terms, and that was that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Ekakatie blew his Achilles out and never recovered.

Not a good comparison. 

Mulumba is pretty solid. But even he had interest in the CFL he just wanted to be paid too much.

Ekakitie was cut for showing up out of shape to camp...  the book on him before being drafted was that he wasn't committed to working out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ekakitie was cut for showing up out of shape to camp...  the book on him before being drafted was that he wasn't committed to working out

I'm not interested enough in this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ekakitie was cut for showing up out of shape to camp...  the book on him before being drafted was that he wasn't committed to working out

He wanted to have NFL weight in the CFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the MBB pick ‘ems 

Calgary @ Ottawa - 50-2 

Toronto @ Edmonton - 7-45

Winnipeg @ Hamilton - 48-4

Saskatchewan @ BC - 22-30

Some CFL tidbits to ignore..  

Some remarkable stats...

Despite being 1-5, the BC Lions have recorded the most first downs this season (130).

This season, teams that trail at the half are 5-15; team trailing after the third are 2-19.

Saskatchewan’s Solomon Elimimian (757) is 10 defensive tackles away from surpassing Greg Battle (766) for 7th on the all-time list.

Toronto generated just 3 TD drives in the first 3 games - they have 5 TD drives in their last 2 contests.

Edmonton has failed to score on Offence in 2 of their last 3 games. They have 3 TD drives in their last 48 possessions.

Toronto is a league-low -13 thus far and this has translated onto the scoreboard. Of the 188 points they have allowed thus far, 66 have come after their own Turnovers. A whopping 35%!

Calgary is ranked #7 BOTH on Offence (44%) and Defence (allowing opponents to convert 54.5% of the time). A new analytic for 2019 shows that they have faced the highest average "yards to go" on 2nd down. On average they have been in 2nd down & 8.2 yards - the most in the CFL (CFL-wide average is 2nd-&-7.3 yards to go).

In their 31-1 loss at Winnipeg, the REDBLACKS got no closer than the Winnipeg 40-yard line with their offence. Of their 51 offensive plays, just 5 were run in Winnipeg territory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

 

In their 31-1 loss at Winnipeg, the REDBLACKS got no closer than the Winnipeg 40-yard line with their offence. Of their 51 offensive plays, just 5 were run in Winnipeg territory.

 

Just lights out defensive play.

I really think had Ottawa stayed with the run a little more and kept Davis in at quarterback, it would have been closer but .. Jennings is a hot mess and for every play he made, he ended up giving it right back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Just lights out defensive play.

I really think had Ottawa stayed with the run a little more and kept Davis in at quarterback, it would have been closer but .. Jennings is a hot mess and for every play he made, he ended up giving it right back.

Davis is injured. They have no choice.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

He’s got to be finished in the CFL, after this year..

 

Sound  like a major house-cleaning is in order at some point this season. The problem of who to replace him/them remains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sound  like a major house-cleaning is in order at some point this season. The problem of who to replace him/them remains.

The new management cap will make an in-season purge difficult. Don't like the looks of it but if they clear out at the end of the season I can see them making a big pitch for LaPo to be their next HC.

Edited by Fred C Dobbs
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argos have an all-new coaching staff. I doubt they're on one-year deals. So, with the cap structure, aren't they hooped going forward? Similar to what the Riders had to do last year by handling it internally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Toronto is going to get a new crew for 2020, I believe. On a related note, how many years do MOS/Walters have on their deals? Might be time for an extension.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-extend-contracts-of-walters-oshea-405623896.html

Walters is signed through 2020, O'shea's ends this offseason.

I think we need to lock up O'shea before he bolts for the argos HC job. I mean, that has to be his dream job. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-extend-contracts-of-walters-oshea-405623896.html

Walters is signed through 2020, O'shea's ends this offseason.

I think we need to lock up O'shea before he bolts for the argos HC job. I mean, that has to be his dream job. 

I'm assuming that Lapo leaves this offseason for a HC gig. That should free up some money for MOS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-extend-contracts-of-walters-oshea-405623896.html

Walters is signed through 2020, O'shea's ends this offseason.

I think we need to lock up O'shea before he bolts for the argos HC job. I mean, that has to be his dream job. 

You think a coach who finally has a winning record and dominant team will ditch for a complete tire fire with no fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fraser said:

Remember we only signed 2 guys in FA and the world was crumbling and everyone was handing 1st in the west to BC? Me either.

I remember TSN1290 going overboard on how good BC and Edmonton got this offseason. Also were convinced that the Riders would carry on just fine. And, Calgary would be Calgary. Pretty sure Westwood thought the Bombers would be the crossover team. 

I'm just listening to him, right now on replay, saying that the Bomber defence is smoke-and-mirrors. I hate his "analysis". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...