2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A run first offense is an 80's style attack. I don't want more of the same with Buck that we had with LaPo. I want an offense that stretches defenses downfield & can score from anywhere on the field. I'd rather have Harris run for a thousand yards,  a qb who throws for 4,000 yards & have at least 2 receivers with a thousand yards each. 

The argument being that we don't have a QB for that.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A run first offense is an 80's style attack. I don't want more of the same with Buck that we had with LaPo. I want an offense that stretches defenses downfield & can score from anywhere on the field. I'd rather have Harris run for a thousand yards,  a qb who throws for 4,000 yards & have at least 2 receivers with a thousand yards each. 

and what makes us think that Pierce would be the guy to run heavy? Man was a quarterback.... And a pretty good one when he was healthy. 

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

if fajardo can be a 4000 yard passer anyone can be. Hell Matt Nichols himself has gone over 4000 before so what's the worry? 

4000 is a bit of an arbitrary number which doesn't really describe a down field attack, imo.

I would love a QB who is going to get an all star nod. I don't particularly like the offence we've been seeing these past few years. I do understand the limitations of some of our players at this moment in time.

20 hours ago, bigg jay said:

His average is impressive... ball placement not so much.

His net average is not impressive at all. He can kick far down the middle of the field...that's it. Regina gives up the most PR yards because of it and the most rouges. Ryan is actually a liability imo. Just goes to show how little the media actually knows about the game.

Edited by gcn11

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There is nothing 80's about how teams are currently running the ball. It's not like we are running out of the I formation with a fulltime FB.

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and what makes us think that Pierce would be the guy to run heavy? Man was a quarterback.... And a pretty good one when he was healthy. 

LaPo's system is the one Buck knows best. You can be sure that if he was an OC that a lot of what LaPo does Buck would do as well. Football is famous for copying. If one CFL team won a Grey Cup or had success with 2 tight ends then you can bet other teams would copy.  Why do you think every team runs shotgun? Because one team had success & everyone copied. Copying is the nature of football. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo's system is the one Buck knows best. You can be sure that if he was an OC that a lot of what LaPo does Buck would do as well. Football is famous for copying. If one CFL team won a Grey Cup or had success with 2 tight ends then you can bet other teams would copy.  Why do you think every team runs shotgun? Because one team had success & everyone copied. Copying is the nature of football. 

Buck was a QB, and they love the passing game.

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

Fair enough, but as I stated above I think Buck would likely coach far more aggressively than Lapo in the passing game. 

Like I said, maybe but he knows LaPo's system best & that would probably mean that what we do now with Harris at the expense of the passing game would stay in place which is not good. Do you think Ryan Dinwiddie would put in a different system offensive system if he became an OC with another CFL team? He'd be hired because of the Hufnagel-Dickenson system he has coached in for years. Dickenson's offense is the offense Huff coached & what Dave was familiar with as a quarterback, running backs coach, OC & HC of the Stamps. Look at the West Coast Offense coaching tree that Bill Walsh spawned in the NFL. He had assistants who learned & knew the WCO cold. Guys like Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, Gary Kubiak & Mike Shanahan to name a few. They knew the system & they coach the system.

18 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Prior to his injury, Nichols was on pace for around 3,800 yards. That isn't too far off the mark. 4,000 passing yards in this offense isn't an unrealistic figure.

Matty could easily pass for 4000 (If healthy and conditions are good, etc, etc, etc).

I just think that "4000 yards" and a "downfield attack with multiple 1000 yard receivers" are two separate things.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Matty could easily pass for 4000 (If healthy and conditions are good, etc, etc, etc).

I just think that "4000 yards" and a "downfield attack with multiple 1000 yard receivers" are two separate things.

Other teams do it. We don't. No reason why we can't but not LaPo's philosophy. 

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Other teams do it. We don't. No reason why we can't but not LaPo's philosophy. 

Using 5000 yards as an indicator for a pass-first offence, can we do it with Nichols and Streveler?

Obviously, we don't want 5000 yards and 20 INTs on a 5-13 team. But given our current personnel, is a down field attack going to be effective?

Edited by Jesse

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lapo's system isn't really the problem, Lapo's problem has always been that he's a **** play caller and his in game situational awareness is awful. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hence my concerns,

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo's system isn't really the problem, Lapo's problem has always been that he's a **** play caller and his in game situational awareness is awful. 

2017 seemed like the best season in which he implemented his system effectively and mostly avoided whatever shortcomings he's had the last two seasons. I'm not sure what's changed or why it did.

Lions Ed Hervey asks for permission to interview former Redblacks’ head coach Rick Campbell: After relieving DeVone Claybrooks of head coach duties.

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/07/lions-ed-hervey-asks-for-permission-to-interview-former-redblacks-head-coach-rick-campbell/

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Lions Ed Hervey asks for permission to interview former Redblacks’ head coach Rick Campbell: After relieving DeVone Claybrooks of head coach duties, B.C. Lions’ general manager Ed Hervey has already shifted his focus to filling the…

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/07/lions-ed-hervey-asks-for-permission-to-interview-former-redblacks-head-coach-rick-campbell/

Last year, Campbell had a team and no QB. Next year, he'll have a QB and no team, if he goes to BC. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's his choice but why not stick it to a known tight wad like Braley?? It would drive him crazy to have to pay Claybrooks & another head coach's salaries for 2 more years.

I highly doubt Claybrooks would jeopardize his own, very young, career just to stick it to Braley...

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

2017 seemed like the best season in which he implemented his system effectively and mostly avoided whatever shortcomings he's had the last two seasons. I'm not sure what's changed or why it did.

The defence got better and they weren't playing from behind trying to catch up all the time.