2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

If he has a strained oblique that isn't healed, he may start, but he won't finish the half.

Agree. Pain is very hard to ignore, as it should be. It's your body's way of telling you to stop what you're doing and give your body time to heal, or else. 

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Imo it would come down to things like team control, qb, and money. If khari comes here, is he going to be able to fully hire the guys he wants to be his Asts? Will buck be forced on him, would he want buck? Will we have a qb better then vernon adams under contract? 

I suspect the new owners will be more then willing to let khari run the team how he wants to. He wont be looking up at walters and miller, will have more stability at qb, and im sure he will be able to get more of the coaches cap in his pocket with them. 

I just have the feeling that the Als caught all the other teams off guard & that success next year may be hard to duplicate. Especially the play of Adams. I like Khari & wish him well, though.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Randy Ambrosie telling BNN that he is trying to open up different markets for the CFL & to take it global. Although, I still don't see how a few Euros or Mexicans on CFL teams can transform the Mom & Pop CFL into a huge global concern. Can somebody enlighten me??

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/how-the-cfl-plans-to-transform-from-a-small-folksy-league~1820538

Every journey starts with a few short steps?

What else is he going to say on the Coaches Show before a playoff game?

I suspect that win and yes, he may stick around to see if he can enjoy what he's built here for a few more years. Lose and no, I don't see him sticking around to deal with the backlash, which will be considerable. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

What else is he going to say on the Coaches Show before a playoff game?

I suspect that win and yes, he may stick around to see if he can enjoy what he's built here for a few more years. Lose and no, I don't see him sticking around to deal with the backlash, which will be considerable. 

He could have easily just said he's not focused on that right now, it's all about the playoffs.  And that other stuff will work itself out in the off-season. 

I hope that O'Shea doesn't leave for a very long time.  All of this talk and the rumours reek of 2008 when Mike Kelly was hired and ditched Kevin Glenn.  Mike O'shea is a successful coach.  Mike does a great job of finding players that want to play for him, and getting the most out of them.  

To win in the CFL, you don't need to be a 16-2 team every year.  Montreal/Baltimore and now Calgary prove that most years.  To win you need the following:

1. Make it to the playoffs

2. Stay healthy going into the playoffs

3. Work Hard, get hot in the playoffs and keep the players engaged for the 3 weeks.

Looking at the green grass on the other side of the fence isn't going to make the team's chances better.  Mike Kelly blew it when he ditched a QB who would lead a team to the playoffs every year and give the team the chance and hope that they could win.  Mike O'Shea's presence leading this team is much the same.   We will make the playoffs and which gives us a chance to win.  

Faith, Hope and Destiny can be more than just stripper names in Winnipeg.

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

Don't forget, there are two contracts that need to get done, O'Shea's and Walter's, just like last time. 

Dont forget, only O’Shea’s contract will expire this year. 😅

Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce the club has agreed to three-year contract extensions for both General Manager Kyle Walters and Head Coach Mike O’Shea. Walters, entering his fourth season overseeing the club’s football operations, is with the club through 2020, while Coach O’Shea’s agreement keeps him on the sidelines through 2019.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/12/09/gm-kyle-walters-head-coach-mike-oshea-agree-to-multi-year-extensions/

Edited by M.O.A.B.

38 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Dont forget, only O’Shea’s contract will expire this year. 😅

Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce the club has agreed to three-year contract extensions for both General Manager Kyle Walters and Head Coach Mike O’Shea. Walters, entering his fourth season overseeing the club’s football operations, is with the club through 2020, while Coach O’Shea’s agreement keeps him on the sidelines through 2019.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/12/09/gm-kyle-walters-head-coach-mike-oshea-agree-to-multi-year-extensions/

Don't forget that they want the GMs contract to be one year longer. 🤣

Is attendance the CFLs biggest issue? 

‘I was baffled’: Game-day attendance falls flat at Mosaic Stadium

https://globalnews.ca/news/6126335/i-was-baffled-game-day-attendance-falls-flat-at-mosaic-stadium/

The Roughriders sold out just one game this season, the Labour Day Classic. Average game-day attendance also dropped by nearly 1,500 fans.

game-day-attendance.png?w=720&h=375

13 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure, but under the same argument, you could use the following argument:

1. The Price is Right is a very successful game show, it has a spinning wheel.

2. The CFL does not have a spinning wheel.

3. The CFL should have a spinning wheel in the championship game to be successful as a league.

I equate the NFL championship game with the CFL championship game. You equate the CFL with the Price is Right and you think you're making a valid point. 🤣

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6126335/i-was-baffled-game-day-attendance-falls-flat-at-mosaic-stadium/

The Roughriders sold out just one game this season, the Labour Day Classic. Average game-day attendance also dropped by nearly 1,500 fans.

game-day-attendance.png?w=720&h=375

The League led by Randy Ambrosie, our inimitable Commissioner,  so hell bent on taking the game to such football hotbeds like Japan & Timbuktu that he can't see the answer right in front of his face. Fans are absolutely screaming what is wrong but he & the Board of Governors just seem to be completely deaf to their complaints. Ticket, concession & parking prices are too high. When the entertainment dollar for each fan is stretched to the limit, what is the CFL's marketing response? To price tickets, food & drinks out of reach of the average fan. Most of the diehards in every CFL city will still go to the games no matter what but families & casual fans won't. And therein lies the problem. Not only do CFL teams compete with other forms of entertainment, they also compete against their own tv contract. No blackouts with every game televised. So, seats sit empty. Why spend a couple of hundred dollars on tickets, food & parking for a family of 4 when Mom, Dad & the kids can watch the games in their own home. The answer? Lower ticket & concession prices to the point of being affordable once more & attendance will rebound. I think the CFL knows the problem but refuses to do anything about it. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, JCon said:

typical... Bomber fans propping up the league... ;) 

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ticket, concession & parking prices are too high. When the entertainment dollar for each fan is stretched to the limit, what is the CFL's marketing response? To price tickets, food & drinks out of reach of the average fan. Most of the diehards in every CFL city will still go to the games no matter what but families & casual fans won't. And therein lies the problem.

Nail on the head right there. It's bloody expensive to go to a game even buying the cheap tickets.

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Nail on the head right there. It's bloody expensive to go to a game even buying the cheap tickets.

You should try getting a job and not having kids....expendable income makes it much more affordable :)  *waves*