2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Calgary seems to be hurting as well.  Might be an interesting battle of the backups this weekend.

I was sorta hoping that BLM might be dinged up, too, but this will help.....wouldn't mind if their D took some hits as well. It might be Danny ******* O'Brien's only hope. I have a gut feeling BC is going to sneak one outta there at home, in front of both of their home fans.....somehow, some way......

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I was sorta hoping that BLM might be dinged up, too, but this will help.....wouldn't mind if their D took some hits as well. It might be Danny ******* O'Brien's only hope. I have a gut feeling BC is going to sneak one outta there at home, in front of both of their home fans.....somehow, some way......

Considering the supposed dim future of Claybrooks there....maybe they can win one for the gipper

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

They're going to rest him. Rest him from what? He's played, what, one game in the past month and a half? He didn't exactly light it up last weekend. 

But with one game to play, and knowing he's your only hope in playoffs, why take a risk of him getting hurt? They gain nothing/lose nothing in this game...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

But with one game to play, and knowing he's your only hope in playoffs, why take a risk of him getting hurt? They gain nothing/lose nothing in this game...

And, I would agree with this logic if he didn't sit out the previous six weeks. He still needs reps, IMO. 

"Pulled back muscle keeps QB Cody Fajardo out of practice, status for Saturday in doubt" -- 3DN

Oh oh! That's not good news for Rider fans. Has their luck finally dried up? It's not easy to diagnose back injuries. How do they know it's a "pulled back muscle"? They're hoping that's all it is and that it might heal in the next week or two, but I know back injuries and they are very hard to diagnose and almost always end up being worse that originally thought. Really they're just guessing. A lot will be determined by how much pain is involved. A pulled muscle can result in tears to the muscle tissue, the tendons, the fascia, etc. and the bones of the back are quite small and are easily fractured and disks are easily herniated. Let's hope it's nothing serious but don't be surprised if it turns out to be worse than originally thought.

On 2019-10-31 at 2:43 AM, J5V said:

Since Speedflex hasn't commented on Charlie Taaffe perhaps I can and hopefully he'll follow up.

What I remember of him was that he was a very smart, knowledgeable coach. He was a college QB that turned to coaching college ball for the Citadel Bulldogs for 9 years. In the CFL he was hired by the Als and won coach of the year twice with a very good team that featured Anthony Calvillo at QB and Mike Pringle as RB. After a stint coaching as an OC in college ball he was hired by Hamilton but had a horrible time (Casey Printers) as coach of the Ticats eventually getting fired after two years. He was known as something of an offensive genius with a "mountain of knowledge" and one of the things he was best known for was his ability to match his offensive schemes to the talent he had to work with. He was probably a better OC than HC and he went on to have a good career in US college ball. 

Charlie Taafe made his mark in the CFL with the Als as an OC losing to the Lions at the 2000 Grey Cup. He had a lot of offensive talent to work with like Anthony Calvillo, Ben Cahoon, Tyree Davis & Thomas Haskins as well as a very, very good OL. In Hamilton as HC the talent just wasn't there & his qb Casey Printers may have been one of the laziest & selfish qbs who ever played in the CFL. No surprise they finished 3-15 that year. He fell on his sword & was fired. 

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Charlie Taafe made his mark in the CFL with the Als as an OC losing to the Lions at the 2000 Grey Cup. He had a lot of offensive talent to work with like Anthony Calvillo, Ben Cahoon, Tyree Davis & Thomas Haskins as well as a very, very good OL. In Hamilton as HC the talent just wasn't there & his qb Casey Printers may have been one of the laziest & selfish qbs who ever played in the CFL. No surprise they finished 3-15 that year. He fell on his sword & was fired. 

To hear him talk football was so refreshing. He didn't mind explaining things and you could clearly tell that he knew exactly what he was talking about. He wasn't worried about other coaches figuring out his plans and he didn't feel the need to be secretive.