2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

1 minute ago, MC said:

Not sure that it helps all that much.  They still only play eastern teams 8 times a year - just like the Bombers do.  They have the same advantage that all the best teams in a division have - they don't have to play themselves.

Every division game is a 4 point game for them.

Edited by gcn11

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/3-downs-andrew-harris-not-a-team-award-winner-is-it-the-right-decision~1813247/3-downs-andrew-harris-not-a-team-award-winner-is-it-the-right-decision~1813247

Some interesting stuff here about Harris and Collaros, but the most interesting tidbit is that Claybrooks might not be back next year for the Lions....

5 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

How does the coaches cap work? Let's say Claybrooks has 2 years left. Does his salary still count against the cap?

Yes, but they can spread the value over 5 years, I think. I'm looking for a source. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

How does the coaches cap work? Let's say Claybrooks has 2 years left. Does his salary still count against the cap?

Good question. I remember reading somewhere that there is some type of mulligan clause, but I can't remember exactly how it works.

2 hours ago, MC said:

Not sure that it helps all that much.  They still only play eastern teams 8 times a year - just like the Bombers do.  They have the same advantage that all the best teams in a division have - they don't have to play themselves.

Almost a valid point...
But, they end up, with their record, in the East, and would finish art least 1st or 2nd because of the other weak teams in that division.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

So your argument is "We've always done it this way, so we have to continue to do it this way. If we don't... problems.".

The only reason you don't want to compare the NFL to the CFL is because it doesn't work for your argument.

Wtf are you talking about? What argument? I said your comparison doesnt work. Because it doesn't.

But please go ahead and tell me about my argument since you know it so well. Lol

Also sorry I for shitting in your cereal this morning.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/3-downs-andrew-harris-not-a-team-award-winner-is-it-the-right-decision~1813247/3-downs-andrew-harris-not-a-team-award-winner-is-it-the-right-decision~1813247

Some interesting stuff here about Harris and Collaros, but the most interesting tidbit is that Claybrooks might not be back next year for the Lions....

I'd take Claybrooks over Richie Hall... He'll be hungry to show he's not washed up.

48 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wtf are you talking about? What argument? I said your comparison doesnt work. Because it doesn't.

But please go ahead and tell me about my argument since you know it so well. Lol

Also sorry I for shitting in your cereal this morning.

It's a good comparison that you simply don't agree with. The NFL doesn't have any problems selling their championship game even tho it's not east vs west. I doubt the CFL would either.

You might want to check who'se cereal you **** in this morning, cuz I didn't have cereal.  

Since Speedflex hasn't commented on Charlie Taaffe perhaps I can and hopefully he'll follow up.

What I remember of him was that he was a very smart, knowledgeable coach. He was a college QB that turned to coaching college ball for the Citadel Bulldogs for 9 years. In the CFL he was hired by the Als and won coach of the year twice with a very good team that featured Anthony Calvillo at QB and Mike Pringle as RB. After a stint coaching as an OC in college ball he was hired by Hamilton but had a horrible time (Casey Printers) as coach of the Ticats eventually getting fired after two years. He was known as something of an offensive genius with a "mountain of knowledge" and one of the things he was best known for was his ability to match his offensive schemes to the talent he had to work with. He was probably a better OC than HC and he went on to have a good career in US college ball. 

Taaffe was set up to fail here. No foundation to work on thanks to Youngs penchant for hiring people with little or no experience then trying to fix that mistake by hiring experience and expecting over night results.

Joked at charity golf tournament.."best two balls I hit today was when I stepped on a rake"

Edited by Zontar

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Claybrooks isn't a very good HC but he'll have a job as a DC somewhere. Then we'll see how he does calling defensive signals not being a part of the Stampeders. I doubt if he'll have the same success elsewhere than he did in Calgary.

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Taaffe was set up to fail here. No foundation to work on thanks to Youngs penchant for hiring people with little or no experience then trying to fix that mistake by hiring experience and expecting over night results.

Joked at charity golf tournament.."best two balls I hit today was when I stepped on a rake"

Was Norm Chow ever an assistant with Taaffe in Hamilton, Zontar?

18 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's a good comparison that you simply don't agree with. The NFL doesn't have any problems selling their championship game even tho it's not east vs west. I doubt the CFL would either.

You might want to check who'se cereal you **** in this morning, cuz I didn't have cereal.  

Yeah remember the ratings of the NFL when they had an East vs West championship and marketed it that way for decades...and then changed it without losing a beat? Remember that?

I'm not even arguing against you and the idea of forming one division. I personally don't give a ****. But your comparison doesn't float because the NFL was never about E vs W. There is no showing that their ratings dropped or got better when they switched. Because they never switched. Their Divisional system is different.

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah remember the ratings of the NFL when they had an East vs West championship and marketed it that way for decades...and then changed it without losing a beat? Remember that?

I'm not even arguing against you and the idea of forming one division. I personally don't give a ****. But your comparison doesn't float because the NFL was never about E vs W. There is no showing that their ratings dropped or got better when they switched. Because they never switched. Their Divisional system is different.

I'm not suggesting they switched anything. 

They aren't east vs west and they have zero problems selling their championship game. If east vs west isn't something that makes the championship sellable in the NFL then east vs west likely won't make our championship less sellable either. Therefore, 1 division should be as sellable as 2.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not suggesting they switched anything. 

They aren't east vs west and they have zero problems selling their championship game. If east vs west isn't something that makes the championship sellable in the NFL then east vs west likely won't make our championship less sellable either. Therefore, 1 division should be as sellable as 2.

Need to stop using NFL as the rule when it's the exception in pro sports. "Regional" finals in MLB, NBA, NHL are ratings poison,