2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

26 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Based on the importance of TV ratings the biggest fear the CFL has in changing the playoff format is that they end up with 2 western teams in the GC. I don’t deny it would be a great game but TV and ratings rule the world...especially TSN’s world. That is the economic reality.

Based on the fact that West games get far higher viewership, why would we assume that GC ratings would be lower? 

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Based on the importance of TV ratings the biggest fear the CFL has in changing the playoff format is that they end up with 2 western teams in the GC. I don’t deny it would be a great game but TV and ratings rule the world...especially TSN’s world. That is the economic reality.

I doubt the Grey Cup ratings go down if the two best teams in the league are battling it out, even if they are both from the West or the East for that matter. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt the Grey Cup ratings go down if the two best teams in the league are battling it out, even if they are both from the West or the East for that matter. 

For the hardcore fans maybe but to get big numbers you have to get the max number of casuals tuned in.. Casuals east of WPG , where you can get those numbers,  won't be enticed . Nice to think they would but it's just not the reality. 

This year's World Series record low ratings is a similar scenario.

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

For the hardcore fans maybe but to get big numbers you have to get the max number of casuals tuned in.. Casuals east of WPG , where you can get those numbers,  won't be enticed . Nice to think they would but it's just not the reality. 

But the expos are winning 

13 hours ago, Zontar said:

The NFL doesn't do East/West. Doesn't hurt the Superbowl ratings.

I'm not sure why anyone in Ontario would care if it's the RedBlacks versus anyone in the West unless you're from Ottawa? 

It's not like the Québécois will care any more if it's Toronto vs BC or Winnipeg vs BC 

Casuals will watch regardless. 

It's only the crap East that wants to maintain the current system.

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

West never seems to complain about weak East opponents fattening up  their regular season win totals.

The moaning about weak east teams only pops up at the end of the year . Take care of your division games get a home playoff and you have nothing to cry about.

Might be less parity in the west if the eastern teams were a legit threat to beat people consistantly.

On 2019-10-26 at 10:40 AM, JCon said:

I'm not sure why anyone in Ontario would care if it's the RedBlacks versus anyone in the West unless you're from Ottawa? 

It's not like the Québécois will care any more if it's Toronto vs BC or Winnipeg vs BC 

Casuals will watch regardless. 

It's only the crap East that wants to maintain the current system.

I mostly agree but at the same time I can see why the east division teams want to host both play off games. A lot of in stability financially for those teams. 

Calgary’s going to be pissed..

While Eskimos head coach Jason Maas said Trevor Harris will practice this week, he is unlikely to play for Edmonton against the West-leading Riders. Is resting their star quarterback until the playoffs the right move for the Esks?

And Saskatchewan gets another one loaded for them..

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Calgary’s going to be pissed..

While Eskimos head coach Jason Maas said Trevor Harris will practice this week, he is unlikely to play for Edmonton against the West-leading Riders. Is resting their star quarterback until the playoffs the right move for the Esks?

And Saskatchewan gets another one loaded for them..

all season they've played glorified CIS teams, and sometimes for only 3 quarters....what a ******* joke that team is.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

all season they've played glorified CIS teams, and sometimes for only 3 quarters....what a ******* joke that team is.

Why should Edm risk their starters in a mean nothing game to help the Stamps?   Each team puts themselves in the position they are in, simple as that. 

Edited by Brock Streveler

On 2019-10-26 at 10:34 AM, TBURGESS said:

The NFL doesn't do East/West. Doesn't hurt the Superbowl ratings.

I quoted this to address @Bigblue204 who answered "confused" to your post... I'm not sure if you're confusion was because you don't follow the NFL format or you just disagreed with the comment... but I'll provide an explanation anyways...

In the NFL they have two conferences (AFC and NFC) and each is divided into 4 geographical divisions... But the conferences - i.e. each side of the playoff bracket - are not geographical... so the NY Jets are in the AFC and the NY Giants are in the NFC... same with the LA Chargers (AFC) and LA Rams (NFC), etc... the best recent example would be New England playing NY Giants a couple times... which is basically an all-east coast match up...

28 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I quoted this to address @Bigblue204 who answered "confused" to your post... I'm not sure if you're confusion was because you don't follow the NFL format or you just disagreed with the comment... but I'll provide an explanation anyways...

In the NFL they have two conferences (AFC and NFC) and each is divided into 4 geographical divisions... But the conferences - i.e. each side of the playoff bracket - are not geographical... so the NY Jets are in the AFC and the NY Giants are in the NFC... same with the LA Chargers (AFC) and LA Rams (NFC), etc... the best recent example would be New England playing NY Giants a couple times... which is basically an all-east coast match up...

I just reacted that way as I don't think it's a fair comparison. The NFL was never about east vs west. Its division system is a completely different beast.

Edited by Bigblue204

47 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I just reacted that way as I don't think it's a fair comparison. The NFL was never about east vs west. Its division system is a completely different beast.

The NFL has never been about geography.  Apparently it hurts their brains.  Dallas has always been east of New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Raleigh, Atlanta, Detroit and Chicago on the map they use.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

yes. that's the point I made.

So your argument is "We've always done it this way, so we have to continue to do it this way. If we don't... problems.".

The only reason you don't want to compare the NFL to the CFL is because it doesn't work for your argument.

On ‎2019‎-‎10‎-‎26 at 11:40 AM, Zontar said:

West never seems to complain about weak East opponents fattening up  their regular season win totals.

The moaning about weak east teams only pops up at the end of the year . Take care of your division games get a home playoff and you have nothing to cry about.

No one has a more inflated record from feasting on the weak East over the past several years than the Hamilton Ti-Cats.

5 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

No one has a more inflated record from feasting on the weak East over the past several years than the Hamilton Ti-Cats.

Not sure that it helps all that much.  They still only play eastern teams 8 times a year - just like the Bombers do.  They have the same advantage that all the best teams in a division have - they don't have to play themselves.