2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I notice it's colder outside since he was suspended. So, not only are the Bombers doing worse, his suspension has made it colder.

He says he's working to have the sample tested. That takes a while but no recent updates. 

Yeah, because it wouldn't bother clean players if their teammate has been caught cheating but I see your point because thats the same as it being colder outside. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm going to say Nichols injury (which happened around the same time) was a much larger factor. Especially since Harris has basically been himself since coming back, argument could be made that he's been better.

I agree about Nichols. I'm just thinking it didn't help and may have bothered some players. Maybe not. Maybe players don't care if their teammates are getting suspended for juicing. Just part of the business I guess. 

14 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

We drafted a complete bust in Ekakatie so we actually made a worse pick than Vandervoort.  Saskatchewan drafted Judge behind us who looks like quite the player up to this point. 

11 hours ago, JCon said:

You can keep Judge and I'll keep Gray. 

But OMG what a horrible draft that turned out to be for us. Gray is the only bright spot. 

ROUND 1

OVERALL TEAM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB
WPG EKAKITIE, FAITH
IOWA
DL     1993-04-05

WPG GRAY, GEOFF
MANITOBA
OL     1994-11-08

ROUND 2

WPG SPOONER, QADR
MCGILL
OL     1992-08-07

ROUND 3

WPG CONTEH, ABUBAKAR
GRAMBLING STATE
DB     1995-10-02

ROUND 4

WPG MENARD-BRIERE, FELIX
MONTREAL
K     1993-02-06

ROUND 5

ROUND 6

WPG MAROUF, IAN
GUELPH
DL     1992-03-28

ROUND 7

WPG THERA-PLAMONDON, BRENDON
CALGARY
WR     1994-12-29

ROUND 8

WPG HENRY, TYLOR
ALBERTA

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Interesting note on an otherwise boring CFL news day.......

Itd be cool to see it happen in the GC winners market, or maybe in the market where the next GC will be hosted. Itd be cool if the GC being in a city meant several cfl league events in that city that year. 

It's been discussed many times before but...

A detailed look at why the CFL playoff format needs to be changed

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/24/a-detailed-look-at-why-the-cfl-playoff-format-needs-to-be-changed/

I won't deny 3Down their click but here's a sample...

How is it unfair? Gimme details.

Home games, byes and quality of competition. Three types of playoff reward for regular season record. Let’s take 2016 for our step by step example, since it’s clear, recent and contains all of the major themes.

League standings, independent of divisions:

Calgary 15-2-1
B.C. 12-6
Winnipeg 11-7
Edmonton 10-8
Ottawa 8-9-1
Hamilton 7-11
Montreal (seven wins), Saskatchewan (five), Toronto (five) out.

We can trace all the paths to the final game.

No. 5 Ottawa finishes with eight wins and a losing record but gets a first round bye and then a home game against either the 4th or 6th place team.

No. 1 Calgary’s reward for being best in the league isn’t bad with a bye and a home game, but they still have to play either the 2nd or 3rd best team, which is tougher than what Ottawa gets with seven fewer wins.

Winnipeg’s ‘reward’ for finishing 3rd in the league is a road game to the No. 2 team followed by a road game against the No. 1.

Edmonton, in 4th a game behind Winnipeg, also has two road games, but they’re against the No. 6 and No. 5 teams instead.

And seven-win Hamilton gets a home game against the No. 4 team with an eye on facing the No. 5 team next, compared to the other division runner up, 12-win B.C., hosting the No. 3 team and then going right on to the No. 1 team.

To encapsulate it all: 8-9-1 gets a bye and a home game against a weak team while 11-7 gets two road games against the two best teams. A better team a) plays an extra game, b) on the road the whole way, c) against tougher opposition, among other issues. The 5th place team gets far and away the easiest road to the Grey Cup. It says the 10-15 games that those top teams each won mean hardly anything because of geography.

17 hours ago, Zontar said:

Some of the East, yes. 

But let's  be realistic it's the East  side West dynamic that makes it appealing. Guy can't see the forest for the trees, in this case the numbers.

Exactly. I hate that, oh it's no fair, bs. You want "fair" go play checkers with your grandma. This is real life, get over it. Be better, work harder. 

I've mentioned this before... but IMO the best way to "solve this problem" is award #1 and #2 to the division winners and let the rest play where they fall... So right now it's

1. Hamilton (bye)
2. Calgary (bye)
3. Sask (home) vs 6. Edmonton 
4. Winnipeg (home) vs 5. Montreal

Obviously we, as Bomber fans, would prefer a home game against Montreal to a road game in Sask or Calgary... if Montreal happened to win it maintains an East and West semi final... there may be some years there's an "undeserving" bye team but that's just the way it goes... the team that gets a bye still wins their game the majority of the time so you'd very likely still maintain an east vs west Grey Cup...  

On 2019-10-24 at 11:14 AM, JCon said:

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/24/a-detailed-look-at-why-the-cfl-playoff-format-needs-to-be-changed/

Calgary 15-2-1
B.C. 12-6
Winnipeg 11-7
Edmonton 10-8
Ottawa 8-9-1
Hamilton 7-11
Montreal (seven wins), Saskatchewan (five), Toronto (five) out.

In this example it would change to 

1. Calgary (bye)
2. Ottawa (bye)
3. BC (home) vs 6. Hamilton
4. Winnipeg (home) vs 5. Edmonton

I think we still would've seen a Calgary vs Ottawa grey cup that year...

EDIT: I read the 3Down article and I see the author does make this suggestion

Edited by bearpants

Based on the importance of TV ratings the biggest fear the CFL has in changing the playoff format is that they end up with 2 western teams in the GC. I don’t deny it would be a great game but TV and ratings rule the world...especially TSN’s world. That is the economic reality.