2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

20 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

No way would I take a gamble with him coming back from such a serious injury, I guess if the price is right, but with it being such a heavily QB-driven league, he'll fetch a high price somewhere... Ottawa, Toronto, maybe? Of course, he'll most likely re-sign with Hamilton, players usually like to stay where they have set up shop, if they can.

I wouldnt want to either, I hope its not us. But im sure some one will. Imo If ott doesnt clean house I could see them doing some thing like going for masoli and trading for franklin/MBT or signing one of the vets like collaros. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I wouldnt want to either, I hope its not us. But im sure some one will. Imo If ott doesnt clean house I could see them doing some thing like going for masoli and trading for franklin/MBT or signing one of the vets like collaros. 

It really is a shame, he was having a career year before that injury, guess you could say the same for Nichols though. Sadly, the football gods are often cruel and unforgiving.

3 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

It really is a shame, he was having a career year before that injury, guess you could say the same for Nichols though. Sadly, the football gods are often cruel and unforgiving.

been an unreal year for qbs. its nice to have soo many young guys flourishing but its tough to see soo many brutal injuries to vets.  

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah Harris is obviously the MOP, but people decided when he was suspended they wouldn't vote for him so we will see an undeserving representative. 

Sure, but I highly doubt it's Fajardo. He's exceeded expectations like Nichols in 2017, but he's not even an upper echelon QB let alone MOP.

Edited by gcn11

16 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Sure, but I highly doubt it's Fajardo. He's exceeded expectations like Nichols in 2017, but he's not even an upper echelon QB let alone MOP.

oh yeah he is totally ****, but Trevor Harris got hurt and missed too much time, BLM got hurt and missed too much time, Arbuckle didn't get enough time with BLM coming back. The media loves to hang off the nuts of the riders so yeah I can see them giving the west MOP to Fajardo, but it'll be the most undeserved recognition ever. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

oh yeah he is totally ****, but Trevor Harris got hurt and missed too much time, BLM got hurt and missed too much time, Arbuckle didn't get enough time with BLM coming back. The media loves to hang off the nuts of the riders so yeah I can see them giving the west MOP to Fajardo, but it'll be the most undeserved recognition ever. 

I just don't see how a West QB will win this year with such outstanding performances by Burnham, Harris, and Begelton. No QB should win by default.

27 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I just don't see how a West QB will win this year with such outstanding performances by Burnham, Harris, and Begelton. No QB should win by default.

Burnham plays on a crappy team, that hurts him, and further to that neither Begelton or Burnham have tremendously eye popping stats. Yes good and been good all year, but milt only won MOP as a receiver for setting records. 

Andrew Harris is the obvious answer to west MOP, but like i said, the people on their high horses decided he was out of the running because of the suspension. 

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Burnham plays on a crappy team, that hurts him, and further to that neither Begelton or Burnham have tremendously eye popping stats. Yes good and been good all year, but milt only won MOP as a receiver for setting records. 

Andrew Harris is the obvious answer to west MOP, but like i said, the people on their high horses decided he was out of the running because of the suspension. 

I wonder how his "proof" that he took tainted supplements is coming along. I'd sure like to see that. I hate to be the one to say it but am I the only one that has noticed that Bomber fortunes took a huge nosedive after Harris' failed drug test and subsequent suspension?

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Wonder if that "disqualify Harris for his suspension" attitude would carry over to Vernon Adams Jr. in Montreal?

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

I wonder how his "proof" that he took tainted supplements is coming along. I'd sure like to see that. I hate to be the one to say it but am I the only one that has noticed that Bomber fortunes took a huge nosedive after Harris' failed drug test and subsequent suspension?

I'm going to say Nichols injury (which happened around the same time) was a much larger factor. Especially since Harris has basically been himself since coming back, argument could be made that he's been better.

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

I notice it's colder outside since he was suspended. So, not only are the Bombers doing worse, his suspension has made it colder.

He says he's working to have the sample tested. That takes a while but no recent updates. 

29 minutes ago, Esks1975 said:

Was Adams Jr. suspended for failing a drug test? If not, I would guess not.

No, he was suspended for breaking the rules, like Harris. But obviously "it wasn't performance enhancing, so we can trust his numbers and not Harris' !" So, Simoni Lawrence got suspended for his illegal hits, which is part of his performance and his style of play. Will he get knocked for his illegal style of play which could enhance his play-making (receivers fear the big hit?)

Obviously apples and oranges, but if selective morality is going to be a factor in voting and not performance-based, then consider 2 things:

1) Brandon Banks got busted for violating the league's drug policy in 2016 and still got the team and Eastern nominations for Best Special teams player, and was voted as a divisional all-star, and he is a leading candidate for east MOP this year, so how do voters reconcile that if they ignore Harris on principle?

2) Here are Harris' numbers before the positive test, after the test and before the suspension (appeal period when he knew he'd been caught), and after the suspension:

BEFORE TEST: (4 games)

rushes 58, yards 378, avg. 6.5, TDs 0, long 52, rush per game 14.5, yds. per game 94.5

receptions 18, yards 101, avg. 5.6, TDs 2, long 20, rec. per game 4.5, yds. per game 25.3

touches 76, yards 479, avg. 6.3, TDs 2, long 52, touch per game 19, yds. per game 119.8

AFTER TEST/PRE-SUSPENSION: (6 games)

rushes 83, yards 530, avg. 6.4, TDs 3, long 56, rush per game 13.8, yds. per game 88.3

receptions 28, yards 236, avg. 8.4, TDs 1, long 34, rec. per game 4.7, yds. per game 39.3

touches 111, yards 766, avg. 6.9, TDs 4, long 56, touch per game 18.5, yds. per game 127.7

AFTER SUSPENSION: (5 games)

rushes 69, yards 408, avg. 5.9, TDs 1, long 21, rush per game 13.8, yds. per game 81.6

receptions 21, yards 171, avg. 8.1, TDs 1, long 74, rec. per game 4.2, yds. per game 34.2

touches 90, yards 579, avg. 6.4, TDs 2, long 74, touch per game 18, yds. per game 115.8

So has there been a significant enough drop-off to suggest he was getting enhanced play because of the drugs in his system? This of course assumes he isn't still using, which would be quite surprising given he got caught once, is likely being tested more closely now, and given his stance that this was accidental would REALLY be taking a risk of destroying any of what is left of his reputation if he got caught again.

I make no determination personally if he should or should not be left off for his conduct, but if I were a voter these are questions I would ask myself and expect to explain if asked by others.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

No, he was suspended for breaking the rules, like Harris. But obviously "it wasn't performance enhancing, so we can trust his numbers and not Harris' !" So, Simoni Lawrence got suspended for his illegal hits, which is part of his performance and his style of play. Will he get knocked for his illegal style of play which could enhance his play-making (receivers fear the big hit?)

Obviously apples and oranges, but if selective morality is going to be a factor in voting and not performance-based, then consider 2 things:

1) Brandon Banks got busted for violating the league's drug policy in 2016 and still got the team and Eastern nominations for Best Special teams player, and was voted as a divisional all-star, and he is a leading candidate for east MOP this year, so how do voters reconcile that if they ignore Harris on principle?

The bolded portion is a good point, and something I had forgotten. Everything above it is pretty crazy lol.