2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No ****- it's like the football gods are wearing ******* watermelons on their heads.  

I'll see your 2019 with our 2018, and raise you a 2014- at least you're not trolling the Louisiana bayou for retired retreads 

Edited by VoR

32 minutes ago, VoR said:

I'll see your 2019 with our 2018, and raise you a 2014- at least you're not trolling the Louisiana bayou for retired retreads 

No. Worse.

Chicago. Tried to pry him out of his retirement gig at Tim Hortons.... he turned us down apparently.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

4 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It's not as simple as that.  From his days in Baltimore to the early days in Montreal Popp found high-end talent at most positions.  Montreal had one of the best o-lines in the league for most of his tenure, some of the best receivers, top corner, top linebacker, the best running back of all time and top Canadian talent.  Sure, he had Ham and Calvillo, but for them to reach their full potential Popp had to surround them with high end talent....and that he did.  Towards the end of this tenure with the Als, it was apparent he was no longer bringing in the talent he once did...not just at the Qb position.  Whether that was a result of his contacts drying up or a lack of drive, I do not know.  This did appear to carry over to his tenure with Toronto.  Two consecutive terrible seasons with some of the worst defense we have seen in recent years.

I completely disagree. I doubt he lost his touch in finding talent. The common denominator is the QB. I don’t care how good your supporting cast is. Without a really good QB. A good coach or GM can look like the 2nd coming of forest Greg.  

18 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I completely disagree. I doubt he lost his touch in finding talent. The common denominator is the QB. I don’t care how good your supporting cast is. Without a really good QB. A good coach or GM can look like the 2nd coming of forest Greg.  

Its not so much losing the touch, as prospects and the game change. he doesnt seem to have kept up to date. I doubt he is ruined, but he is damaged goods right. Itll be tough for him to get his next GM job in the cfl. I could see him taking a lesser role. 

The challenge is not only having a good starting QB...it is also supplying your coaching staff depth across the roster and especially depth at QB.....and if you haven’t Got it you better figure out how to get it. That is the difference between being proactive and reactive. Did Sask and Hamilton just luck out st QB depth...maybe but the fact is they had it.

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd take Franklin for a late late round draft pick.   I'd only want him as a warm body in case of emergency.      ZC is a useless move,  the guy  is one hit away from being completely scrambled.    MBT while insane at least is healthy and at times can move the ball. 

To trade a warm body &/or a draft pick for Colaros would be an insanely stupid move for all the obvious reasons. He may only last a single play like he did this season with the Riders. The risk is too high. 

11 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

This is why I wanted the Bombers to give meaningful reps to back up QB's when the time was right...... Nichols never achieved more than the " game manager " moniker.  

9 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Did he also scoff at the rumour that he will be fired if the Bombers don't win a playoff game this year?......which likely will happen ( the Bombers not winning a playoff game) if they don't make a QB move!

you don't need to fire guys with an expiring contract so he'd be right to scoff at that. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Why would they make this announcement?  They have some decent players on their roster to build up with, why announce to the world that they're ready to trash what they have and start from scratch with no assets.  T.O. doesn't need another complete rebuild they need gradual improvement spurred by a good O-Line and a decent QB.  It's a good thing they brought John Murphy on board, at least he knows what he's doing, I have no use for Pinball and his yammering gullet, can't build a team on inspirational catch phrases and hallelujahs.