2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

So who is going the other way....for either of these guys.....Collaros WAS a good qb....concussion susceptibility makes him a very risky proposition...Franklin looked good behind a good o line in Edm...I'd say he's the better bet...In any event could either guy get up to speed this late in the season...'maybe'...I'd say we've backed ourselves into a corner ...flip a coin and hope....our options are very limited...BUT we have to make a move or a very good team will meet the end of their season quickly....US

Watched Walker going through the motions for the 'Arenogoods'....could he be part of a package deal...Expect to hear more shortly as time is ticking on the trade deadline....Sooner we get whoever is 'supposedly' coming our way, and in the lineup, the better...So will it be '''deal'///or no deal...Decisions...decisions

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Imagine the reaction if collaras played for Winnipeg and beat the riders in the playoffs?

That thought popped into my head when I saw they made an offer for him... the flipside is losing to Sask with Collaros behind center (for as long as that would last).  They have enough stuff to yap about already so no thanks to taking Rider trash off the scrap heap..

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's amazing how far Franklin's stock has fallen... from a star QB in waiting to being worth less in trade value than a guy who can't last more than a few snaps.

Edited by bigg jay

Not a huge fan of having Collaros as the Bombers QB, but for the life of me, I can’t think of a better realistic solution. Status quo and the club will be lucky to win another game this season. Having said that I truly believe the problem is play calling on both sides of the ball, but that’s very unlikely to change. The offense is very one dimensional.  Whom ever called the last game on defense should continue calling the plays. The front 7 looked way more aggressive. 

10 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Not a huge fan of having Collaros as the Bombers QB, but for the life of me, I can’t think of a better realistic solution. Status quo and the club will be lucky to win another game this season. Having said that I truly believe the problem is play calling on both sides of the ball, but that’s very unlikely to change. The offense is very one dimensional.  Whom ever called the last game on defense should continue calling the plays. The front 7 looked way more aggressive. 

Hall still isn't back from dealing with his family issue so you might get your wish.  It's addition by subtraction in my mind.

18 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Hall still isn't back from dealing with his family issue so you might get your wish.  It's addition by subtraction in my mind.

Was the defence better in the last game due to Hall’s absence?  Perhaps the bigger influence was having someone play safety that could actually make plays. My vote is a REAL Safety. 

4 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Was the defence better in the last game due to Hall’s absence?  Perhaps the bigger influence was having someone play safety that could actually make plays. My vote is a REAL Safety. 

Montreal will be a good test of the Hall vs not Hall difference as they shredded him last time.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Montreal will be a good test of the Hall vs not Hall difference as they shredded him last time.

That statement has no consideration for Alexander at safety vs Hecht at safety.  You want to make a comparison you need a sample that includes Hall calling the defence with Alexander at safety.

8 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

It just goes to show you that an all star QB can make even the General Manager look good.  Popp was once the wonderkid of the CFL and as soon as AC retired his career to a quick drop off. 

The shine came off quickly but I think he did himself no favours by taking on the coaching duties in Mtl. 

It's not as simple as that.  From his days in Baltimore to the early days in Montreal Popp found high-end talent at most positions.  Montreal had one of the best o-lines in the league for most of his tenure, some of the best receivers, top corner, top linebacker, the best running back of all time and top Canadian talent.  Sure, he had Ham and Calvillo, but for them to reach their full potential Popp had to surround them with high end talent....and that he did.  Towards the end of this tenure with the Als, it was apparent he was no longer bringing in the talent he once did...not just at the Qb position.  Whether that was a result of his contacts drying up or a lack of drive, I do not know.  This did appear to carry over to his tenure with Toronto.  Two consecutive terrible seasons with some of the worst defense we have seen in recent years.