2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Lazy, shiftless bastard Drew Edwards abandons 3Down, site to thrive without him

By Drew Edwards - September 17, 2019

https://3downnation.com/2019/09/17/lazy-shiftless-bastard-drew-edwards-abandons-3down-site-to-thrive-without-him/

I won't deprive 3Down of the click but Drew is formally walking away. 

Edited by JCon

20 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

No, no, no, they have this wrong. 

At least Davis Sanchez stood up for a Medlock to be higher.

04-A6-DC1-F-4-FFE-40-D1-A520-F208489-BD0

Where’s the respect?

There is such a large gap between what the media thinks of players' value and that of the coaches.  I know you would see a completely different list if the coaches were polled (anonymously).

50 minutes ago, MC said:

There is such a large gap between what the media thinks of players' value and that of the coaches.  I know you would see a completely different list if the coaches were polled (anonymously).

In most cases yes. This case is like 200% though. Cfl coverage in all mediums seems inclined towards click bait, flavor of the moment trash but this is poor quality even by those standards. 

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

In most cases yes. This case is like 200% though. Cfl coverage in all mediums seems inclined towards click bait, flavor of the moment trash but this is poor quality even by those standards. 

It is worse than that.  I often get the feeling that the media doesn't watch practices, talk to the coaches or break down games.  I understand fans not getting it, but I would hope that media would at least do their jobs.

7 minutes ago, MC said:

It is worse than that.  I often get the feeling that the media doesn't watch practices, talk to the coaches or break down games.  I understand fans not getting it, but I would hope that media would at least do their jobs.

Agree with that too, especially in TC. 

On 2019-09-17 at 1:28 PM, wbbfan said:

42 minutes ago, MC said:

Drew Edwards made an interesting point on his exit blog from 3Down on why he no longer enjoys covering the CFL as much:

There are a few other little things, all of which could justify their own self-serving rant. The inherent contradiction of competing with the CFL’s ever-expanding “media” division while also covering it; the ever-declining level of discourse in the age of social media; the perception that holding the league and teams accountable is somehow akin to hating them. These are minor irritations that, built up over a decade, became somehow burdensome.

We're losing quality journalism with the CFL's own media team. While I like Ed Tait and appreciate everything he's done, I wish he still did it for an independent newspaper. Better than nothing I suppose but he pulls his punches now, IMO, which makes sense for him. 

Local pinko commie rag, which is running on fumes,  no longer has a beat reporter. Just a columnist summarizing a game thats already happened.

Occaisonally TSN radio co host will take in a practice and drop a tweet or two. That is , essentially, media coverage for HTC.

For injuries, roster moves etc one has to go to cfl.ca

It's ridiculous, here.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Drew Edwards made an interesting point on his exit blog from 3Down on why he no longer enjoys covering the CFL as much:

There are a few other little things, all of which could justify their own self-serving rant. The inherent contradiction of competing with the CFL’s ever-expanding “media” division while also covering it; the ever-declining level of discourse in the age of social media; the perception that holding the league and teams accountable is somehow akin to hating them. These are minor irritations that, built up over a decade, became somehow burdensome.

We're losing quality journalism with the CFL's own media team. While I like Ed Tait and appreciate everything he's done, I wish he still did it for an independent newspaper. Better than nothing I suppose but he pulls his punches now, IMO, which makes sense for him. 

Thanks for sharing. Agree 100 percent. 

So, will 3DN go the way of the Dodo Bird or will Justin Dunk take over? Rather than say it gave writers opportunities to be journalists, I found it became a platform for some Fan Boyz to have a pedestal. Who can forget that classic column where the Riders Fan Boy fantasized about what hockey positions the Riders should play. Then there are the goofball comments. To me, it lost all credibility when they allowed fans to trash the teams they hate the most.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Edwards was too polite to say it's Priders who go berserk on social media when they detect a slight. Local TSN radio host, Marshall Ferguson, said the same thing earlier this season. 

Twitter is a digital psych ward and Prider fans have settled in nicely.

4 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Edwards was too polite to say it's Priders who go berserk on social media when they detect a slight. Local TSN radio host, Marshall Ferguson, said the same thing earlier this season. 

Twitter is a digital psych ward and Prider fans have settled in nicely.

There used to be quite a few psychotic Stamps fans there as well.  One Stamps poster would change his name daily. Then trash every other team & players in the CFL. His signature was always saying "historic McMahon Stadium" at some point in every post rather than calling it the dump that it is. I used to subscribe to 3DN. Got tired of the Fan Boyz articles & dip **** Stamps fans & cancelled well over a year ago.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There used to be quite a few psychotic Stamps fans there as well.  One poster would change his name daily. Then trash every other team in the CFL. His signature was always saying "historic McMahon Stadium" rather than calling it the dump that it is. I used to subscribe to 3DN. Got tired of the Fan Boyz articles & dip **** Stamps fans & cancelled well over a year ago.

ISO ? Lol.

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

ISO ? Lol.

Dip s h I t fans are dipshit fans. And in Calgary there are quite a few of them. They obviously don't go to a lot of games which is why they're so stupid. Stamps fans need about five straight non playoff seasons to teach them to be humble. Problem is, if they did go that long without a playoff spot then they'd be getting crowds like the Dinos… Be lucky if a thousand show up at McMahon.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, Zontar said:

Local pinko commie rag, which is running on fumes,  no longer has a beat reporter. Just a columnist summarizing a game thats already happened.

Occaisonally TSN radio co host will take in a practice and drop a tweet or two. That is , essentially, media coverage for HTC.

For injuries, roster moves etc one has to go to cfl.ca

It's ridiculous, here.

That absolutely sucks.  Hamilton fans are some of the very best in the CFL.