2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Don't bring common sense into the conversation with a Ripper.

Powell, their prize offensive FA, got 4 carries last Saturday.

Funny that he talks about Harris' age, but forgets Powell is basically the same age.

Hey cmon - that's 'load management' just like Kawhi ...   Dickenson realized that the Riders were completely outclassed and decided to rest the league's best running back in anticipation of a game they could actually win...  brilliant and classy...  just amazing really.

49 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hey cmon - that's 'load management' just like Kawhi ...   Dickenson realized that the Riders were completely outclassed and decided to rest the league's best running back in anticipation of a game they could actually win...  brilliant and classy...  just amazing really.

Duh....Dickenson was saving Powell for the winning drive. 😗

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah that falls on pretty deaf ears cause we got some guys who have been here long term and want to stay here long term... Maybe Hervey shouldn't contribute to the problem and build a team the way Kyle Walters did... drafting drafting drafting and more drafting. 

to be fair, if you suck at drafting you can't really do that. The draft is a crap shoot anyhow,  Remeber how great we were at drafting players or trading our picks for so many years?

I think the biggest part of our "success" in the last few years is that they Kept Oshea after some initial struggles and the players really like him and the other coaches.  They have weeded out players that maybe didn't fit the characteristics they wanted off the field and brought in really good players to help strengthen the team even more (harris, Jefferson, Biggie, rose, etc etc).  This coupled with the ability to get multiple draft players playing time makes the team stronger overall.   No one wants to play on a losing team but having a good environment to play in and a good support system lets people look over some over those issues. There is a lot of community interest in the team here vs BC, TO and until recently montreal.

Hervey may be an idiot, but you can't draft well in one year and expect the team to be instantly competitive. 

32 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

to be fair, if you suck at drafting you can't really do that. The draft is a crap shoot anyhow,  Remeber how great we were at drafting players or trading our picks for so many years?

I think the biggest part of our "success" in the last few years is that they Kept Oshea after some initial struggles and the players really like him and the other coaches.  They have weeded out players that maybe didn't fit the characteristics they wanted off the field and brought in really good players to help strengthen the team even more (harris, Jefferson, Biggie, rose, etc etc).  This coupled with the ability to get multiple draft players playing time makes the team stronger overall.   No one wants to play on a losing team but having a good environment to play in and a good support system lets people look over some over those issues. There is a lot of community interest in the team here vs BC, TO and until recently montreal.

Hervey may be an idiot, but you can't draft well in one year and expect the team to be instantly competitive. 

Hervey also had Paul Jones opinion to rely on in Edm. on player personnel matters, he shooed away Rigmaiden and installed a flunky he brought with him from the Esks. as chief U.S. scout, no idea who they have covering Canada.

11 hours ago, Booch said:

Bighill as well missed what..4 games too..and was obviously hurt when he came back

But he doesnt have to do it all this yr anyway..so will have less stats..and also less runs against us where a LB piles up stats.

He is part of the top defense..so must be doing something right

From the Bighill files:

Adam Bighill does not believe his play has dropped off one bit. 

“I’ve seen it since I’ve been in the CFL — sometimes, plays come your way and sometimes they don’t,” Bighill said Thursday after practice at IG Field. “Sometimes you have three tackles in a game and you played a fantastic game and it’s hard for people to even notice because you only had three tackles.

“I feel like I’ve had a handful of those games this year.”

Bighill has recorded 32 tackles, or an average of four per game, which isn’t coming close to last season when he had 105 tackles in 18 games (5.83 per game).

“You’ve got to think too that teams are playing us a little bit differently this year, based on what we did last year and some of the success I had last year, scheming things differently,” said Bighill, who signed a lucrative three-year contract extension with the Bombers in the off-season. “That has maybe not allowed me to do some of the things I did last year.

“Tackles aren’t always super indicative of performance. It means that you’ve obviously had a chance to be productive but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve been doing your job. Having a lot of tackles? Maybe you’ve made 70% of them eight or 10 yards down the field. As a linebacker, you’re flowing to the ball, you have a motor, but we also want to be making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.”

You’re not sitting in our meeting rooms or listening to the direction (Bighill) gives, the conversations he has with his teammates, the questions he asks,” Bombers coach Mike O’Shea said. “On the field you’re not listening to him put guys in the right spots and make checks to make sure everything is going smoothly. That’s the job of a middle linebacker. These are all things he does extremely well, besides his athleticism, besides his understanding of offences and plays and how he maneuvers around the field to give different looks and put himself in good position.”

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

From the Bighill files:

Adam Bighill does not believe his play has dropped off one bit. 

“I’ve seen it since I’ve been in the CFL — sometimes, plays come your way and sometimes they don’t,” Bighill said Thursday after practice at IG Field. “Sometimes you have three tackles in a game and you played a fantastic game and it’s hard for people to even notice because you only had three tackles.

“I feel like I’ve had a handful of those games this year.”

Bighill has recorded 32 tackles, or an average of four per game, which isn’t coming close to last season when he had 105 tackles in 18 games (5.83 per game).

“You’ve got to think too that teams are playing us a little bit differently this year, based on what we did last year and some of the success I had last year, scheming things differently,” said Bighill, who signed a lucrative three-year contract extension with the Bombers in the off-season. “That has maybe not allowed me to do some of the things I did last year.

“Tackles aren’t always super indicative of performance. It means that you’ve obviously had a chance to be productive but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve been doing your job. Having a lot of tackles? Maybe you’ve made 70% of them eight or 10 yards down the field. As a linebacker, you’re flowing to the ball, you have a motor, but we also want to be making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.”

You’re not sitting in our meeting rooms or listening to the direction (Bighill) gives, the conversations he has with his teammates, the questions he asks,” Bombers coach Mike O’Shea said. “On the field you’re not listening to him put guys in the right spots and make checks to make sure everything is going smoothly. That’s the job of a middle linebacker. These are all things he does extremely well, besides his athleticism, besides his understanding of offences and plays and how he maneuvers around the field to give different looks and put himself in good position.”

Well, he's certainly no punter, but he's doing his best to be a leader.

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I really do believe that notion that our DL is so dominant, a lot of plays aren't even getting to that 2nd level as much as they were last year, so he's not even getting the opportunity to make as many plays.

Yeah I don't recall a season in some time where so may rushing attempts are snuffed out at the line..or for a loss...it does factor in to things like stats.

2 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Nice. So he's well placed to be our first pick in next year's draft.

IMO - our first pick will be a DB.

We've gone CND at safety and that's probably the spot where we could use an upgrade the most... linebackers are fairly set as IMP and on the DL we've already drafted our Thomas replacement/backup for Kongbo.

Fairly obvious we don't need to spend an early pick on OL for the next draft given our current situation (maybe a later round pick on someone who needs training but has the right body).  Receiver could be an option for an early CND pick depending on how much they like Demski/Petermann, RB I think we're set with Oliviera/Augustine/Harris.

43 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

IMO - our first pick will be a DB.

We've gone CND at safety and that's probably the spot where we could use an upgrade the most... linebackers are fairly set as IMP and on the DL we've already drafted our Thomas replacement/backup for Kongbo.

Fairly obvious we don't need to spend an early pick on OL for the next draft given our current situation (maybe a later round pick on someone who needs training but has the right body).  Receiver could be an option for an early CND pick depending on how much they like Demski/Petermann, RB I think we're set with Oliviera/Augustine/Harris.

It's Kyle Walters, he taking a lineman of some type with his first pick guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't think Hecht deserves the heat he's taking on here, but I would absolutely be in for taking a good safety if there is one...

Agreed. I wasn't expecting much from him this year but I think he's been a pleasant surprise. Serviceable atleast. I haven't noticed him in a bad way nearly as much as I did Loffler over the last couple of years. He's had quite a few nice pass break-ups and a handful of sacks. Cant really complain.

32 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think Walters goes BPA with our 1st pick.

Pretty safe bet. I think the key with him is upside. He swings for the fences with the high picks. Some times they miss, but when they hit they contribute in a big way and quick. 

If he drafted a campbells soup can right now, id trust the pick. Hes earned it easily. Even when you might want another guy, you get his approach. And his approach works.