2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

8 minutes ago, Zontar said:

OTT, one of the supposedly best managed and coached team in the league just hired Joe Paopao to try and fix an offense deliberately deprived of Harris, Ellingson, Spencer.

Sometimes it's clear and easy to pinpoint a teams decline.

They were one of the best managed and coached teams. Not this year. To be fair though, paopao is a brilliant offensive mind. Similar to plop he will tend to out think him self if left to play all every offensive down though. He does it with trick plays though. He was one of the best to involve RPO plays, shovel and other options runs etc long before the rest of football bought into it. He could be a really good fit in the right role. Also a coach players love and would run through a brick wall for. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

They were one of the best managed and coached teams. Not this year. To be fair though, paopao is a brilliant offensive mind. Similar to plop he will tend to out think him self if left to play all every offensive down though. He does it with trick plays though. He was one of the best to involve RPO plays, shovel and other options runs etc long before the rest of football bought into it. He could be a really good fit in the right role. Also a coach players love and would run through a brick wall for. 

Remind me when Joe Paopao proved that he was a brilliant offensive mind...?  He was a world class QB and just a terrible OC/HC - even on winning teams, their offence sucked under Paopao

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Remind me when Joe Paopao proved that he was a brilliant offensive mind...?  He was a world class QB and just a terrible OC/HC - even on winning teams, their offence sucked under Paopao

He turned a junk team into a solid offensive team with his playbook. His RPO and zone running plays made a very under talented RBs team competitive. Hes highly thought of and well respected as an offensive mind by the best coaches in the cfl from 80s to early 2k. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He turned a junk team into a solid offensive team with his playbook. His RPO and zone running plays made a very under talented RBs team competitive. Hes highly thought of and well respected as an offensive mind by the best coaches in the cfl from 80s to early 2k. 

Paopao was a disaster here and BC save for a run at the end of the 2000 season.  He sucked in Ottawa too, that team did not improve at all.  The only way he got anything going was using 7 OL.

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I blame this fiasco on Marcel Desjardins who more than ever this season has shown he really is the GM from Hamilton who ran that franchise into the ground. Not the guy who built the RedBlacks. Thinking he could win with Dominique Davis & Jonathan Jennings over Trevor Harris. Now his team is struggling. Great job, Marcel.

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The Reinebold/ Papoao combo just couldn't be beat.   Still remember Joe Pop, of all people.....ranting about it, on OB

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I blame this fiasco on Marcel Desjardins who more than ever this season has shown he really is the GM from Hamilton who ran that franchise into the ground. Not the guy who built the RedBlacks. Thinking he could win with Dominique Davis & Jonathan Jennings over Trevor Harris. Now his team is struggling. Great job, Marcel.

To be fair to Desjardins, he lost a very good QB, and a top receiver with no way to replace Harris with a QB of equal or near-equal ability. Hard to pick up and carry on like you did before under those circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To be fair to Desjardins, he lost a very good QB, and a top receiver with no way to replace Harris with a QB of equal or near-equal ability. Hard to pick up and carry on like you did before under those circumstances.

I think Desjardins let Harris leave rather than lost him.  But hey, whatever Antoine Pruneau says. Hope he's enjoying the losing.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

100%. Hubris to think that any thing he did was gonna work. 

3 hours ago, do or die said:

The Reinebold/ Papoao combo just couldn't be beat.   Still remember Joe Pop, of all people.....ranting about it, on OB

Nothing would have turned that team into a winner with the constant air lifts from nfl cuts starting the same week they signed, moves like picking reggie slack over AC etc. That was the worst talent miss management this team has ever seen. Reinebold is another really nice guy who was not meant for that kind of roll. He could be a HC etc of an ncaa team but his stuff was never gonna work as a pro HC. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Desjardins let Harris leave rather than lost him.  But hey, whatever Antoine Pruneau says. Hope he's enjoying the losing.

Seems like that to me too... don't really understand it... 5000+ yards last year, 70% completions...

Would have looked at a new OC before letting Harris walk

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Seems like that to me too... don't really understand it... 5000+ yards last year, 70% completions...

Would have looked at a new OC before letting Harris walk

At the same time, a better qb was available in FA, and better WRs. Harris seems like he was a pretty big cancer I can get replacing a guy like that. But you gotta get better. Not settle for junk. 

41 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

At the same time, a better qb was available in FA, and better WRs. Harris seems like he was a pretty big cancer I can get replacing a guy like that. But you gotta get better. Not settle for junk. 

Respectfully disagree.. I’ve been a Harris fan and believe he and has been a top tier for the past couple of years.

would have taken him over Nichols any day of the week. He’s good enough to win a championship 

3 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Respectfully disagree.. I’ve been a Harris fan and believe he and has been a top tier for the past couple of years.

would have taken him over Nichols any day of the week. He’s good enough to win a championship 

Over the last few years you can toss up nichols n harris. id lean towards harris as well. But BLM and Reilly have been much better then harris. Thats the elite tier. Masoli, nichols and harris have all had flashes of elite play but none have come close to maintaining that level of play for nearly long enough to unseat those two. I just dont see him taking a spot like that. Hes had a lot of weapons to work with, strong defences at his back, and too often has struggled in the red zone. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

That's Antoine Pruneau's opinion. I question motives when a player takes something that should be kept internal, public.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's Antoine Pruneau's opinion. I question motives when a player takes something that should be kept internal, public.

Thats true it should. But for it to come out like that after and when the RBs werent doing poorly over all it kind of speaks for it self imo.