2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

56 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

They have none on the list they provided. It's bigger then just 10 players.

true, the list of 10 by each team was a concession by the league to appease the fans that was inquiring why it existed,  why it wasn't available to fans, and who was on it... needless to say, the list each team provides each year for public consumption probably contains little information of substance... most of the names being released are probably those on their list that have the lowest probability of  actually playing in the CFL... 

not that I'm a conspiracy theorist normally, this situation does beg the question, if you have nothing to hide why are you hiding it? teams share their personal list every day with the league who then makes everyone's list available to every team... the list can contain 45 players and can be changed as frequently as a team would like with no limits imposed... so, they have no problem sharing this information among themselves, but seem to have an issue with sharing this information with fans and the public at large...

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

They have none on the list they provided. It's bigger then just 10 players.

Definitely. I was aware of that. I just thought it was curious that the team with arguably the worst QB situation in the CFL (and has been for quite a while) wouldn't take an opportunity to release the names of at least a couple of negotiation list QB's to give the fans some tiny glimmer of hope. Even pie-in-the-sky hope like "hey, maybe Tua Tagovailoa would rather play in Montreal than for whatever NFL team drafts him in the first round. You never know!". 

45 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

not that I'm a conspiracy theorist normally, this situation does beg the question, if you have nothing to hide why are you hiding it? teams share their personal list every day with the league who then makes everyone's list available to every team... the list can contain 45 players and can be changed as frequently as a team would like with no limits imposed... so, they have no problem sharing this information among themselves, but seem to have an issue with sharing this information with fans and the public at large...

Great questions. I have no idea, but, I have ranted before about the CFL's veil of secrets around stuff like negotiation lists, injury reporting. Weird because other pro leagues, like the NFL and NBA, are becoming more transparent with information to fans as a way to engage them more. The CFL to me takes a rather ho hum approach to fan engagement. If I were part of the CFL executive I would be losing my mind trying to figure out how to get fans more engaged and actually paying for tickets in the big markets. 

6 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Great questions. I have no idea, but, I have ranted before about the CFL's veil of secrets around stuff like negotiation lists, injury reporting. Weird because other pro leagues, like the NFL and NBA, are becoming more transparent with information to fans as a way to engage them more. The CFL to me takes a rather ho hum approach to fan engagement. If I were part of the CFL executive I would be losing my mind trying to figure out how to get fans more engaged and actually paying for tickets in the big markets. 

there is a reason why they hide this information and not wanting everyone to know who is on these list... it's all about keeping players/players agents in the dark more so than fans...

if you ever wonder why there could be a shortage of QBs in this league, look no further than the negotiation list as possible reason... if I'm a QB I can only sign with a team if a) I am on that team's list, or b) I'm not on any one's list... if I make an inquiry to the Bombers to try out or sign with them, they can't sign me if I'm on somebody else's list... also, if I happen to be on their list, they have a negotiation advantage salary wise... the team only has to offer an amount to be considered 'fair' and either you accept that amount or are prohibited from signing with anyone else for a year...

42 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The kid from Eastern Washington is interesting as their alums include Nichols, BLM and Adams and MR played in the same conference. I mean for Bryant he did get displaced by the likely 2021 NFL #1 overall.

He did. Went 12-2 in his last year as a starter losing college football playoff game to Alabama.

7 hours ago, JCon said:

https://www.tsn.ca/the-enduring-mystery-of-cfl-negotiation-lists-1.981621

Naylor did a story on it last year.

Yes, you just put the guy on before he's signed or on someone else's list. This is one of those bizarro things that's uniquely CFL. 

This is how I would do it. Take the NFL draft names and distribute them as per season rankings. Nice and even.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I saw Arbuckle was starting but not that BLM was 6 gamed. Wow. Must not be healing quite as quickly as they thought. Obviously, they could pull him off at any time but I thought he was close. 

Interesting but makes sense.   Huff is really trying to save cap space for either Singleton or Michel if either or both get cut from their NFL teams.  Apparently Arbuckle wasn't throwing at practice yesterday  because he was experiencing some shoulder soreness.  

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

Interesting but makes sense.   Huff is really trying to save cap space for either Singleton or Michel if either or both get cut from their NFL teams.  Apparently Arbuckle wasn't throwing at practice yesterday  because he was experiencing some shoulder soreness.  

Sounds like both of those guys are doing great...  I don't think they're coming back