2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

53 minutes ago, Atomic said:
1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not to derail this thread...but the issue with the content 1290 produces is they give too much airtime to the hosts to blather about stuff they don't know anything about.  Basically like pick two sort-of sports fans (always get the impression that Rick Ralph kind of hates his job) and let them talk about the headlines.  The morning and drive shows need better and more guests.  Anytime it's just the guys in the station shooting the **** it's incredibly uninformed and boring.  The morning show generally has terrible guests too, mostly bloggers.

Yup. They stopped paying their guests so now we get John Hodge and Nik Kowalski.

And Jared Clinton from the Hockey News on Wed mornings. That guy absolutely has the worst mono tone voice in this world. He annoys me the worst. I hate Wed mornings because of him lol!

7 minutes ago, Firekid said:

And Jared Clinton from the Hockey News on Wed mornings. That guy absolutely has the worst mono tone voice in this world. He annoys me the worst. I hate Wed mornings because of him lol!

I love Wednesday's for Jason Cole. Love that guy. Also love the Friday 6-pack. But that's about it. 

EDIT: I've created a new thread in the General Discussion on TSN 1290 so that, however tempting, we don't derail this thread. 

Edited by JCon

21 minutes ago, Firekid said:

The thing they did do right is giving the Illegal Curve guys a platform. I may not agree with them all the time, but I appreciate them.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He owes the WFC nothing...? That's absurd. This organization gave him his first opportunity to be a HC. This organization stood up for him when fans and media said he wasn't HC material and wanted him gone. This organization supported him as he learned the ins and outs of what it takes to be a HC in this league.

His "unique case" seems pretty irrelevant. His days as a player are probably a good memory for him but is that enough to lure him back there? The Argonauts are a dumpster fire. The fanbase is a shell of what it once was. The only "benefit" is Toronto's proximity to O'Shea's hometown (North Bay) but even that's a stretch, IMO. He'd have to foster a new relationship with that organization's stakeholders, its new GM, coaches, players, etc. Maybe the challenge is appealing but imagine the pressure that comes with it - especially with how poorly the Argos' 2019 is going.

I guess anything is possible but I'm not convinced he'd just bounce if the Argos came calling. He's established himself with the WFC and I think that matters more than whatever past glory he had elsewhere.

IMO O'Shea goes to Toronto for one of two reasons

1 - He wants to show he is a master at turning teams around so that he gets a shot down south (Doing what he did in YWG twice would almost certainly get him a shot).  I don't think MOS has any interest in NFL or running a major US College Football program so this is not high% in my mind.

2 - Someone convinces him that they need him in Toronto to save the franchise/CFL.

14 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

1 - He wants to show he is a master at turning teams around so that he gets a shot down south (Doing what he did in YWG twice would almost certainly get him a shot).  I don't think MOS has any interest in NFL or running a major US College Football program so this is not high% in my mind.

2 - Someone convinces him that they need him in Toronto to save the franchise/CFL.

Ambitious executives often gravitate to a new job in real crappy organizations to improve the outcomes. MOS doesn’t seem to be the type of guy to just sit back and relax. He came to the WFC with a vision and is part of his leadership style. He likes challenges. IMO. 

14 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

2 is the only legitimate reason......he is loyal to a fault, and while I'm certain he has a lot of loyalty to Wade and the WBBFC, he certainly must still have a sense of loyalty to the Argos as well...

I honestly don't think Oshea could save that franchise. Even with a winning product. Even with the Consistency of winning year after year. TO just doesn't want the CFL. Oshea is a big name in the CFL, but I guarantee that if you go ask the average person in TO who Oshea is and if he'd be a good coach for the argos, the response would be.."What's an argo?" lol...... ok maybe at minimum they wouldn't know who Oshea is.

Edited by Bigblue204

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

2 is the only legitimate reason......he is loyal to a fault, and while I'm certain he has a lot of loyalty to Wade and the WBBFC, he certainly must still have a sense of loyalty to the Argos as well...

I suspect that his loyalty is to his family and he will do what makes the most sense for them. 

O'Shea was an Argo.  He bled for them on the field.  He got his start in coaching as an Argo .. there's no denying his has history there.  He made his mark in coaching here, in Winnipeg, and is on the cusp of something pretty damned special.  This is the city that gave him a shot as a head coach, this is the organization that was steadfast in their support of him as he honed his craft and I suspect this will be the franchise he wins his first Championship with (as a head coach).  At the end of the day though, family trumps all and he will go where his family needs him to be .. where it makes the most sense for him to be.

I am surprised that the Bombers allowed O'Shea to go into the season as a lame duck coach.  That should not happen.

How sure of this are we?  I thought the contracts for OShea and Walters were the ending at the same time.

I'd be absolutely shocked if O'Shea moves to a new team in the off season.   He doesn't seem to be a chasing money kind of guy.   He's put in all these years into creating a team and culture based on what he believes in... he's finally reaping the rewards of that hard work and he's going to go to Toronto to start fresh with different ownership/leadership that may not follow the same ideology.

Even LaPo I don't really see him leaving at this point,   it's to good here right now.  

Only guy I'm worried/concerned about losing is Streveler.  I think he goes to the XFL next season to make big money and/or Toronto throwing him starter money.

1 minute ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I've said this a few times. I really really really dont see Chamblin getting axed after 1 year.even at 0-18. Popp yes, Chamblin no and the only reason as because they are still paying out Trestman and I cant see them affording 2 ex coaches and paying a third one. 

Unless I heard incorrectly regarding Trestman.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Ambrosie change the way the Operations SMS is applied. I suspect it will be amended that fired coaches don't count, the BOG will see how handcuffed they are with having to keep poor decisions and the league can't afford for teams to languish in mediocrity because of some stupid mgmt SMS. 

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I honestly don't worry at all about O'Shea leaving. He's got it pretty good in Winnipeg. We stuck by him when most other organizations wouldn't have and he's a loyal guy.

I could see PLAP leaving for an HC job this off season tho.

Rider fans still think hes going to the Riders next year to be the OC/ass. HC.....

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd be absolutely shocked if O'Shea moves to a new team in the off season.   He doesn't seem to be a chasing money kind of guy.   He's put in all these years into creating a team and culture based on what he believes in... he's finally reaping the rewards of that hard work and he's going to go to Toronto to start fresh with different ownership/leadership that may not follow the same ideology.

Even LaPo I don't really see him leaving at this point,   it's to good here right now.  

Only guy I'm worried/concerned about losing is Streveler.  I think he goes to the XFL next season to make big money and/or Toronto throwing him starter money.

theres no big money to be had in the XFL....

17 minutes ago, MC said:

I am surprised that the Bombers allowed O'Shea to go into the season as a lame duck coach.  That should not happen.

How sure of this are we?  I thought the contracts for OShea and Walters were the ending at the same time.

They intentionally stagger the GM and HC so the GM is the year after the coach. And what if MOS didn't want to re-up before his contract was over? 

Oshea won't leave what he has built....I bet he wants to become a legacy as a coach here...not a footnote

he's been here over 6 years now...and that is formative years for his kids too...so they have I am sure built some good bonds and friendships with the people and places here..so to uproot them now would be asking a lot

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Well done Edmonton:

👀 All eyes should be on this creative endeavour...

I'm glad this worked out for Edmonton but I don't think we need it here. They have 20k seats empty that they can easily open up. We can't do that here. Our sections may not be full but we having people in every section. We already added the Rum Hut tickets. 

Just now, Jpan85 said:

you could offer 20 - 15 dollar tickets in the upper portions of the upper deck. The free tickets for kids would make a ton of sense.

I have a pair of season tickets and I usually bring my oldest. If I could, I would bring my wife on my second ticket and bring my boys free. I would, of course, make my wife sit up high with the youngest. They're only there for the experience anyhow. 

So, kids getting in free, as long as it's not only with the $20 tickets, would be good for me.