2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Re: MOS contract........he's never had an agent and does his own deals. Nothing will get done in season, because he's locked in on the here and now, as we all know. Here's hoping that as soon as the season is done, they get something done.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Re: MOS contract........he's never had an agent and does his own deals. Nothing will get done in season, because he's locked in on the here and now, as we all know. Here's hoping that as soon as the season is done, they get something done.

O'Shea's not leaving Winnipeg. As someone once said "The next guy to bring the Grey Cup home to Winnipeg will find himself dipped in gold and planted on top of city hall."

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Excellent point. Thanks for the reminder. And, he doesn't have much to lose. Unless this team completely unravels through the rest of the season, he's going to be one of the top paid coaches in the league going forward. 

37 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Toronto is going to get a new crew for 2020, I believe. On a related note, how many years do MOS/Walters have on their deals? Might be time for an extension.

People here have been demanding an extension for O'Shea since he started here.  Some seem quite angry about it at times.  It just doesn't bother me.

We're talking about his shorts again, right?  Time to extend the legs and wear some pants like the good coaches do?

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

People here have been demanding an extension for O'Shea since he started here.  Some seem quite angry about it at times.  It just doesn't bother me.

We're talking about his shorts again, right?  Time to extend the legs and wear some pants like the good coaches do?

Yesterday's presser, he was in a shirt, slacks and sport coat....I didn't know who the hell he was.....

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Westwood is terrible at his job. Actually 1290 could use a ton of upgrades.

my understanding is that there's not a lot of money invested in that building, soooooo......you sorta get what you pay for. Being so far out of market, I don't really listen to it, but I've been told it's extremely Jets-centric

The fly in the ointment is the CFL head office. I have long harboured a suspicion that the CFL was instrumental in Ricky Ray's move to Toronto. Whether we like it or not, O'Shea would be both really popular in Toronto with a very high profile and would give the organization instant credibility. Heck, he might even get Ray to come out of retirement as a player/OC. God knows, even as Ray is, he is still head and shoulders above anything the Argos have as QBs. Could there be pressure put on the Bombers to let O'Shea go to Toronto? That is also O'Shea's home, and for many, home has a great attraction.

Just now, Noeller said:

my understanding is that there's not a lot of money invested in that building, soooooo......you sorta get what you pay for. Being so far out of market, I don't really listen to it, but I've been told it's extremely Jets-centric

Not to derail this thread...but the issue with the content 1290 produces is they give too much airtime to the hosts to blather about stuff they don't know anything about.  Basically like pick two sort-of sports fans (always get the impression that Rick Ralph kind of hates his job) and let them talk about the headlines.  The morning and drive shows need better and more guests.  Anytime it's just the guys in the station shooting the **** it's incredibly uninformed and boring.  The morning show generally has terrible guests too, mostly bloggers.

With Walters, we have him under contract for another year and he's been in Manitoba 9 years which may mean he's got decent Manitoba roots. You can't steal a GM under contract, correct? With MOS, I'd like to see an extension and he has been here 6 years and he has a great group to work with but yeah the threat of MLSE stealing them concerns me.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not to derail this thread...but the issue with the content 1290 produces is they give too much airtime to the hosts to blather about stuff they don't know anything about.  Basically like pick two sort-of sports fans (always get the impression that Rick Ralph kind of hates his job) and let them talk about the headlines.  The morning and drive shows need better and more guests.  Anytime it's just the guys in the station shooting the **** it's incredibly uninformed and boring.  The morning show generally has terrible guests too, mostly bloggers.

Yup. They stopped paying their guests so now we get John Hodge and Nik Kowalski.

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yup. They stopped paying their guests so now we get John Hodge and Nik Kowalski.

Yeah, I don't have accurate numbers for them, but I don't think they're as financially well off as they'd hoped to be by now...

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

...I actually find the 1290 morning show consistently annoying.

Oh, it's pathetic. Toth and Westwood destroyed the morning show. It's like listening to two senile codgers bicker about the weather. TSN1290 is hot garbage. Listening to Wide Lefty talk about sports not called football should seriously qualify as a form of torture. He's on par with Rod Black.

1 minute ago, CodyT said:

Off topic here but to me the CFL has a lot of bad bad football teams this year. The product is showing on the field and we’re watching some bad, boring football games 

I’m trying to determine if the bombers are 5-0 good or there is just a lot of dumpster fire ..

Yeah, it's been pretty bad. I'm sure there are a number of factors, including the heavy turnover in the off-season, new rookie coaches and a lack of depth at QB. 

I still think the Bombers would be right up with the Stamps of the past few years. They have been the standard. Would be a great match-up, that's for sure. 

I expect the teams to get much better as the season goes on. The product will improve. Might be too late to grab that international audience that they were hoping for though. 

51 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Westwood is terrible at his job. Actually 1290 could use a ton of upgrades.

Whether he's been told to be this way or just took it upon himself to do it, Westwood's job is to be contrarian and "pick fights" with Jim Toth to make the show "edgy" and "balanced". Anyone irritated by it just justifies Westwood's M.O., that old show biz axiom that "I don't care what they say about me, so long as they are talking about me".

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Oh, it's pathetic. Toth and Westwood destroyed the morning show. It's like listening to two senile codgers bicker about the weather. TSN1290 is hot garbage. Listening to Wide Lefty talk about sports not called football should seriously qualify as a form of torture. He's on par with Rod Black.

His football knowledge is pretty bad too. He's clearly just a fan and not a real student of the game. 

It's worse when he goes on about the "locker room" and how things are. Then, they comment on how Wheeler may not be in touch with some of the younger players on the team because things have changed so much since he entered the league 10+ years ago. Well, do you think MAYBE things have changed a bit since YOU entered the CFL? 

I could go on and on but I won't. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

You think a coach who finally has a winning record and dominant team will ditch for a complete tire fire with no fans?

Usually no. 

But Mike O'shea is a unique case. The guy lived and breathed Argo football for two decades.

He owes us nothing. He's been instrumental in turning this franchise around from the laughing stock to an elite team and destination. 

O'shea is loyal and won't renege on the team, but if the HC job is open in Toronto this offseason I could absolutely see him leaving. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Usually no. 

But Mike O'shea is a unique case. The guy lived and breathed Argo football for two decades.

He owes us nothing. He's been instrumental in turning this franchise around from the laughing stock to an elite team and destination. 

O'shea is loyal and won't renege on the team, but if the HC job is open in Toronto this offseason I could absolutely see him leaving. 

He owes the WFC nothing...? That's absurd. This organization gave him his first opportunity to be a HC. This organization stood up for him when fans and media said he wasn't HC material and wanted him gone. This organization supported him as he learned the ins and outs of what it takes to be a HC in this league.

His "unique case" seems pretty irrelevant. His days as a player are probably a good memory for him but is that enough to lure him back there? The Argonauts are a dumpster fire. The fanbase is a shell of what it once was. The only "benefit" is Toronto's proximity to O'Shea's hometown (North Bay) but even that's a stretch, IMO. He'd have to foster a new relationship with that organization's stakeholders, its new GM, coaches, players, etc. Maybe the challenge is appealing but imagine the pressure that comes with it - especially with how poorly the Argos' 2019 is going.

I guess anything is possible but I'm not convinced he'd just bounce if the Argos came calling. He's established himself with the WFC and I think that matters more than whatever past glory he had elsewhere.