2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

On 2019-07-23 at 10:21 AM, wbbfan said:

Perhaps some thing like the NBA where cfl teams can offer a super max deal (which would involve capping the amount a single player can earn, which would be good) after 3 years of service. 

Ive always thought teams should be compensated when losing a star player in FA that they developed. Like the MLB system, but not costing as much as first round picks. More neg list players and less for teams that sign more fas, stuff like that. 

that did not stop player movement in NBA because the players make too much money to make it matter. The difference between 150 and 175 million dollars is just ink not lifestyle. It won't work in CFL because there is not enough money in the cap to move that much to a player. BC Lions exhibit 1.

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

that did not stop player movement in NBA because the players make too much money to make it matter. The difference between 150 and 175 million dollars is just ink not lifestyle. It won't work in CFL because there is not enough money in the cap to move that much to a player. BC Lions exhibit 1.

You arent going to stop it, not in this day and age. You can only slow it down. Or try to. 

When ever you any amount of money, you can always find a way to spend it foolishly. Bc isnt remotely the only team to spend foolishly recently or otherwise. The jon ryan deal is worse imo. 

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I don't know why he has to say "And he will score!!...No, he is caught at the 10"

My take is that he's always fishing for some sort of signature call (i.e. Golden goal, Do you believe in miracles etc.) that he tries to oversell what is happening at the time. I hate it when we will throw a screen pass and that side of the field is out of camera view, Roddy gets all excited (screen pass to Harris - LOOK OUT!) and it gets blown up for a 2 yard gain or something. Stop winding me up for what I think is going to be a big play and it turns out to be a nothingburger.

That's why he blows and Cuthbert is the best.

36 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

My take is that he's always fishing for some sort of signature call (i.e. Golden goal, Do you believe in miracles etc.) that he tries to oversell what is happening at the time. I hate it when we will throw a screen pass and that side of the field is out of camera view, Roddy gets all excited (screen pass to Harris - LOOK OUT!) and it gets blown up for a 2 yard gain or something. Stop winding me up for what I think is going to be a big play and it turns out to be a nothingburger.

That's why he blows and Cuthbert is the best.

What i would give for the cfl to be free of him, pederson and sutter.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

My take is that he's always fishing for some sort of signature call

check this out:

“Let’s get ready to rumble” has been licensed for a variety of different purposes over the years. It’s been used in a few video games and has been used in some commercials. It is now known that his catchphrase has generated some $400 million dollars in revenue from licensing deals, 👀 making it one of the most profitable catchphrases ever. The interesting thing about all of this is that Michael Buffer isn’t a massive company or a product, he’s just one man. Michael Buffer proved that all you need is a good voice, an iconic catchphrase, and a trademark and you can elevate yourself to the stars.

https://worthly.com/richest/lets-get-ready-rumble-turned-400-million-catch-phrase/

Maybe RBlack is hoping to be the next Michael Buffer!

Maybe Rod could use "I didn't do it"

Edited by Mark F

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The culture shock in terms of work to prep for each week as well as to continually improve at the Pro level is really daunting. That combined with the reality of concussions and other injuries I feel scares off a lot of young players. Pro football, like fighting, is often not a career path for people with a wide array of options. 

Sure,  other than we took a chance with a late 4th round pick,  not the 1st overall, 

And 

New Orleans traded two picks to move up to draft him,  and he's still playing, even starting for them ( once he's done his weed related suspension) so earning an NFL game cheque would make most people less interested in the CFL 

Just now, Guestingreen said:

Sure,  other than we took a chance with a late 4th round pick,  not the 1st overall, 

And 

New Orleans traded two picks to move up to draft him,  and he's still playing, even starting for them ( once he's done his weed related suspension) so earning an NFL game cheque would make most people less interested in the CFL 

Josiah st John-  even though he did dress for a couple seasons - his interest in playing you can Question

5 minutes ago, Guestingreen said:

And 

It wasn't a good comparison, but DO was/is never coming up here.

23 minutes ago, Guestingreen said:

And 

The analogy is not perfect but it was still a wasted pick. Even I had heard, prior to the draft, that Onyemata had absolutely no interest in playing in the CFL.