2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

That's more on the OC than Reilly. Every time they show the all 24, there's one receiver in the short zone, none in the medium zone and the rest are deep. Hard to go to the 'hot' route when you do that.

It'd be interesting to see if a similar game plan was deployed in Edmonton - I strongly suspect that was case. 

I doubt any professional offence has no designed hot routes on every passing play. Hot routes are specific to pressure reads. If Reilly is not reading pressure (which I doubt happens very often) and making calls, and, or receivers are not breaking off routes, that is on the players.

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I doubt any professional offence has no designed hot routes on every passing play. Hot routes are specific to pressure reads. If Reilly is not reading pressure (which I doubt happens very often) and making calls, and, or receivers are not breaking off routes, that is on the players.

There are usually more receivers going deep when Reilly is behind centre.  

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I mean, he also returned home to be closer with his family and friends while still playing the sport he loves. Hard to fault him for that.

It's the schadenfreude-esque tone to the comment, IMO. And saying he fits in well with that "group of pylons"... It sort of insinuates Chungh is one, too. And we all know that's just hot bullshit.

Whatever. He is a pylon. Along with the other 4 pylons. Foucault was the worst pylon of all of them. Truth is that line absolutely stinks.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Laing fined for his hit on Nichols.

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced three fines after Week 5 action on Wednesday.

Toronto Argonauts defensive lineman Cleyon Laing was fined for a high hit on Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats receiver Brandon Banks was fined for making unnecessary contact on an on-field official in Saturday’s game versus Calgary.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive back Delvin Breaux was fined for making unnecessary contact out of bounds on Calgary Stampeders running back Ka’Deem Carey.

As per league policy, the amounts of the player fines were not disclosed.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/17/three-players-fined-week-5-action/

That one was ridiculous! Should have been ejected. Extremely dangerous and Carey was somewhat hurt on the hit and could have really been hurt bad.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Conversation

This is bullshit

! I want U to review this type and I want a personal meeting with u about this one I not letting this one slide by easy !!

In response to his fine 

Good luck getting a meeting with Ambrosie, BB. File a grievance. 

Would like to see his contact with the ref though. 

Edited by Rod Black

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Pretty he didn’t forget how to block during the off-season. OL play is more about cohesion as a group. 

No, but his shortcomings in pass protection could be masked by the great players around him. He’s always been an above average run blocker and below average pass blocker. On this team, that’s a recipe for disaster. 

22 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Pretty he didn’t forget how to block during the off-season. OL play is more about cohesion as a group. 

Or he played well with the Bombers because there was more talent surrounding him on that line. He was paid huge bucks  by the Lions & brought in to be a leader & I just don't see it.  Looks like another great move by Hervey.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Is there video out there of what Banks was fined for?  I don't remember seeing it happen.

I just reviewed 7 minutes of video of the game. Couldn’t find it. That’s about the only effort I’ll put into the research. The charge “unnecessary contact with an on field official”. Murkier wording than nudging, bumping or face licking. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Really don't know what he did wrong there.

12 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Just press the twitter feed, you’ll see the video. It isn’t much...but it is disrespect

Well thanks very much! 

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Well if the ref really did step on his foot then I can see his point.

I’d agree with the point. Yup. Cleats hurt! Could say he was protecting himself. A natural reaction. The official is heavier than banks. 

Im wondering if walking together, ”joined”, became the officials issue. Who gets to have personal space at the point of initial contact. The play was over. We don’t see the Banks offered evidence in completeness before the two got together. 

Incidental, momentary contact happens frequently enough. 

Couple of seasons ago Carter pranced half the distance of the field to chest bump coach Campbell. Carter claimed he had a head injury. 

Edited by Rod Black

22 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Apparently that is the same as driving a guy who was out of bounds head first into the LED board 

Wow. Wasn’t aware that the Banks type of contact was considered unnecessary. Players will need to give a wide berth when the whistles are blown to let the officials perform their functions without “Unnecessary contacted”. 

Edited by Rod Black