2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Listen, anything can happen "any given Sunday" (or Friday, as it were), but based on where we are right now and where Ottawa is, in terms of talent and injuries, there is no way we should lose to Jon Jennings....anything can happen, but it shouldn't.

You just gave Tburg a reason to be waiting in the weeds.

Related image

18 hours ago, Jacquie said:

That's your opinion but do you have proof? I don't know one way or the other since there has been nothing in any of the reports that this was happening during Reed's first year in Montreal.

This is about as close to proof that you're going to get, Jacquie. Even the Montreal Alouettes beat writer Stu Cowan doesn't believe Als President Patrick Boivin didn't know what was going on with the salary cap.  According to Cowan, "If Reed was indeed circumventing the CFL salary cap &  that was why he was fired, you have to figure that Boivin knew what his GM was doing and you have to wonder how long this was going on.  If Boivin didn't know what was going on as President & CEO of the team, that's even worse.  Boivin seems to have thrown Reed under the team bus".

There you have it. Cowan, who is close to the team figures Boivin probably knew what Reed was doing. Although he isn't 100% certain.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/stu-cowan-secrecy-over-kavis-reed-firing-paints-alouettes-in-bad-light?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is about as close to proof that you're going to get, Jacquie. Even the Montreal Alouettes beat writer Stu Cowan doesn't believe Als President Patrick Boivin didn't know what was going on with the salary cap.  According to Cowan, "If Reed was indeed circumventing the CFL salary cap &  that was why he was fired, you have to figure that Boivin knew what his GM was doing and you have to wonder how long this was going on.  If Boivin didn't know what was going on as President & CEO of the team, that's even worse.  Boivin seems to have thrown Reed under the team bus".

There you have it. Cowan, who is close to the team figures Boivin probably knew what Reed was doing. Although he isn't 100% certain.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/stu-cowan-secrecy-over-kavis-reed-firing-paints-alouettes-in-bad-light?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting stuff too.  Gets me curious as to how long it could have been going on and wondering whether the now departed Wettenhall owners also knew of this?

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You don't lose $12.5 million & not try to find where all the money was spent & how. Otherwise you do know.

And perhaps being why they decided to jump the ship and figured ehhh ... We'll just let Reed go down with it lol.

Embezzlement wouldn't surprise me though given the Wettenhalls' known ties to mobsters

Edited by USABomberfan

A few other ideas about the mess in Montreal crossed my mind.  Wonder if any of the unnamed sources popping up in that article was Mike Sherman.  Could any involvement of his in this rumored embezzlement case have led to the odd timing of his firing?  Could he have been about to be a whistleblower on this and Reed latched onto that firing him before he could?

I know all of this is just a ton of speculation on my part and not really with any base.  But two things are circulating in my mind.

1. The Wettenhalls had always said when questioned about the Als that they were never even considering selling them.  I mean, I know in a business things can always change an owner's mind, but it just seems odd to be so firm in that position and then just out of the blue decide to sell.  If this fraud was going on and they were in it, maybe someone threatened to go public with it and blackmailed them into selling the team, or they figured the fudged financial reports were going to be noticed soon and figured it was time to parachute out knowing Reed and maybe Bolvin would end up hanging for it.

2. Just like Reed's firing, Sherman's firing was so odd too.  I saw a new one there in firing the head coach not right after the previous season had ended, or even several weeks into the new one, but right before it even started.  It made no sense for the GM to be so sure he was keeping his head coach all that time, then suddenly not only fire him but lie about it saying that they had parted ways sending him quietly off into the night as it were.  And then now Kavis Reed gets axed right as the team gets to 2-2, also a strange development.

The Als executives have certainly attempted to keep what could be one of the biggest PR nightmares in franchise history under wraps, and if I'm one of the new owners I'd be calling for a full investigation into this.  But man, this just wouldn't surprise me in the least.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

A few other ideas about the mess in Montreal crossed my mind.  Wonder if any of the unnamed sources popping up in that article was Mike Sherman.  Could any involvement of his in this rumored embezzlement case have led to the odd timing of his firing?  Could he have been about to be a whistleblower on this and Reed latched onto that firing him before he could?

I know all of this is just a ton of speculation on my part and not really with any base.  But two things are circulating in my mind.

1. The Wettenhalls had always said when questioned about the Als that they were never even considering selling them.  I mean, I know in a business things can always change an owner's mind, but it just seems odd to be so firm in that position and then just out of the blue decide to sell.  If this fraud was going on and they were in it, maybe someone threatened to go public with it and blackmailed them into selling the team, or they figured the fudged financial reports were going to be noticed soon and figured it was time to parachute out knowing Reed and maybe Bolvin would end up hanging for it.

2. Just like Reed's firing, Sherman's firing was so odd too.  I saw a new one there in firing the head coach not right after the previous season had ended, or even several weeks into the new one, but right before it even started.  It made no sense for the GM to be so sure he was keeping his head coach all that time, then suddenly not only fire him but lie about it saying that they had parted ways sending him quietly off into the night as it were.  And then now Kavis Reed gets axed right as the team gets to 2-2, also a strange development.

The Als executives have certainly attempted to keep what could be one of the biggest PR nightmares in franchise history under wraps, and if I'm one of the new owners I'd be calling for a full investigation into this.  But man, this just wouldn't surprise me in the least.

There is an article on 3Down that indicates it was the league that fired Sherman and they didn't tell Reed about it ahead of time.

Edited by WinnipegGordo

34 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

There is an article on 3Down that indicates it was the league that fired Sherman and they didn't tell Reed about it ahead of time.

Similar thing was mentioned in the MTL gazette article that was just posted here about the league making the call to fire Reed too.  The league is atm of course the body who owns the Als.

I know what you mentioned about them possibly firing Sherman at the time and now kicking Reed out could be 2 unrelated incidents.  But somehow I just get this weird feeling that there are in fact dots connecting the two.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

how is 2001 so long ago that people around here aren't clear on the details??? It was the greatest season of Bombers football in what......the last 30 years? 

I mean i did remember it correctly actually .. and it was the most heartbreaking Bomber season for sure. 

Hard to say it was the greatest season when a team that good doesn’t win the Cup. 

A few things on the Montreal situation:

Gotta assume we're not talking about tiny amounts of money. Kavis is definitely not taking that money out of his own pocket.

If the Envelopes in the locker room is accurate, not only did the GM know about it, everyone did. That sounds like SOP for the team.

Once the league took the team over, they'd start looking at the finances. Now there's no line item for 'Under The Table' payments, but the money would show up pretty quickly.

The CFL couldn't allow the Under The Table transactions to continue, so they had to do something. Not sure why it took so long, but then again it took them over a month to suspend Lawrence.