2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

In the next few weeks we could well see the Als pass the .500 mark. When was the last time that happened? 

Well stats fascinate me, so here we go:

Last time above .500: Technically, the last time they were above .500 was when they opened 2016 with a 1-0 record...
Before that though...you have to go back to 2014, when they managed to get to 9-8 in week 19. They would finish 9-9 (.500) on the year.

Last winning streak: Weeks 18-20 of the 2016 season. The games were pretty much meaningless though, as before the streak they were 4-11. For the last meaningful winning streak, you have to go back to 2014 when they strung together 6 wins to dig themselves out hole of 3-8 back up to a more respectable 9-8.

Last season above .500: 2012. This was also Calvillo's last full year as starting QB, he would play in 2013, but would not finish the season with them.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If any of this is true, should we be seeing some high profile releases in Montreal in the coming days to get them under the cap? "Consequences" and all that.

I'd say probably not. The CFL needs the Als to succeed. No way they'll weaken the team by releasing players or fine them as the new owners would have to pay.  I think you'll see a Mike Kelly quote, "It's a non issue. It's been handled internally".

7 hours ago, do or die said:

What to expect from a team playing 10 Canucks

That I dont understand. If they think they have that Canadian depth, why not play more American on their OL? One it's cheaper, and two it will probably better than what they have right now. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Funny how the Als don't want to comment on why Reed was let go but a series of "leaks" to the media has laid out what was going on in with him in Montreal to the point he was an evil scoundrel. The team said it was concerned about legal action if they divulged why Reed was fired yet found no problem having a mole telling the guy from RDS the problems so he could have a tweet storm. I don't like Kavis Reed but this is gutless .

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funny how the Als don't want to comment on why Reed was let go but a series of "leaks" to the media has laid out what was going on in with him in Montreal to the point he was an evil scoundrel. The team said it was concerned about legal action if they divulged why Reed was fired yet found no problem having a mole telling the guy from RDS the problems so he could have a tweet storm. I don't like Kavis Reed but this is gutless .

Who said that you can't have your cake and eat it, too?

43 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Last time above .500: Technically, the last time they were above .500 was when they opened 2016 with a 1-0 record...
Before that though...you have to go back to 2014, when they managed to get to 9-8 in week 19. They would finish 9-9 (.500) on the year.

Last winning streak: Weeks 18-20 of the 2016 season. The games were pretty much meaningless though, as before the streak they were 4-11. For the last meaningful winning streak, you have to go back to 2014 when they strung together 6 wins to dig themselves out hole of 3-8 back up to a more respectable 9-8.

Last season above .500: 2012. This was also Calvillo's last full year as starting QB, he would play in 2013, but would not finish the season with them.

(The fascinate me too) DAANNNNNGGGG! Oh how the mighty have fallen. The don mathews led als were one of the biggest terrors to the bombers in the last 30 years. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just now, Tracker said:

Who said that you can't have your cake and eat it, too?

Whats really funny is this is probably the best front office / administrative move and execution by the als in years. 

Id be interested to see how they would fair with MBT / fajardo as their QB. And itll be interesting to see if the als have to go on a cost cutting spree to get back under the cap. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Whats really funny is this is probably the best front office / administrative move and execution by the Als in years. 

Id be interested to see how they would fare with MBT / Fajardo as their QB. And itll be interesting to see if the Als have to go on a cost cutting spree to get back under the cap. 

Ummmm.... Adams isn't a heck of a lot better than either of those two. I suspect that the league is going to have to cut a deal with any new owners and give them a Mulligan for this year.

Edited by Tracker

Just now, Tracker said:

Ummmm.... Adams isn't a heck of a lot better than either of those two. I suspect that the league is going to have to cut a deal with any new owners and give them a Mulligan for this year.

I think Mbt would give them a decent upgrade and that both would be an upgrade, hense wondering how itd go. 

Agree, they cant tear down the team now that its not hot garbage and cant slap new owners with a penalty for reeds BS. 

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I like Adams. I don't know if he's capable of being a long term starter or a championship qb but he is perfectly suited for the CFL game. Hopefully Khari doesn't bail on him the first sign of trouble. Compared to Antonio Pipkin who has all the measurables like height, arm strength & athleticism but who just loses every game he plays. Adams gives the Als a better chance to win IMO.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sweet stats! Now find out the last time the Bombers started 5-0. That is of course they win on Friday. But if they do will it be the first time in club History? I cant think of another year they have.

10 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Why do people keep bringing up the Wethenhalls regarding Reed's firing. They don't own the team - the League does.

This was a CFL decision as it is stated. However, they would  have had to have known what was going on. Seems likely they would have. . This was going on under Andrew's watch.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

34 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Sweet stats! Now find out the last time the Bombers started 5-0. That is of course they win on Friday. But if they do will it be the first time in club History? I cant think of another year they have.

I think they said on the coaches show Bud Grants team did it one year....

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

How would they not have known what was going on? Seems unlikely. That's why they are being brought up. This was going on under Andrew's watch.

That's your opinion but do you have proof? I don't know one way or the other since there has been nothing in any of the reports that this was happening during Reed's first year in Montreal.

11 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

That's your opinion but do you have proof? I don't know one way or the other since there has been nothing in any of the reports that this was happening during Reed's first year in Montreal.

No, I don't have proof & why would I when I'm not a member of the media like an investigative reporter, an accountant, the police or a CFL official?  But I doubt there's no way an owner like the Wettenhall's wouldn't have known where every penny went on the Als football operations side.

12 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

What was our record to start 2001? Didn’t we start something like 2-2 then pulled off 12 straight wins or am I imagining that?

You were not.  2-2 for the first 4, then 12 in a row.  Lost the last 2 for a 14-4 record.

Edited by WBBFanWest

6 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Yup. Pierce led the team to a 7-0 start a few years back. 

7 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Well, going back to 1978, they've never started 5-0. For years before then, records are a bit murkier, so I don't want to mislead with incorrect information...

Other fun facts, the 1960 resulted in the of the best finishes for the team (14-2), and the 12-game win streak is 2001 is the Bombers longest ever as a franchise. The longest winning streak of active CFL teams is held by Calgary (22 wins straight during 1948-1949 seasons)

33 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yup. Pierce led the team to a 7-0 start a few years back. 

Close, but no, they went 7-1 through the first 8 games., losing to Calgary in Week 3. So it isn't considered a 5-0 start.