2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do think if the league does a financial audit & they find improprieties then the Als should be subject to penalties like the other teams would be.  However, your point is valid.  Would the CFL penalize the new owners of the Als? Probably not.

New CFL partners in ownership at the Als would have every right to have buyers remorse if the league decides to go on an overly aggressive investigation. Joe Mack could be in ship though. Poor start to a relationship, id think. 

Edited by Rod Black

4 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Cheating the cap yet he fields a team like that? Amazing. In all seriousness though, circumventing the cap and charging staff for plane tickets....ban him for life.

I'm not sure that's what happened.  I could be misreading,  but it sounds like he was billing the team for his personal trips.

11 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

He’s a thief. 

I really really hope this is the last we have seen of Reed in the CFL. 

Better management in Sask was good for the league (addition by subtraction) Reed canned, khari taking over the HC job, what could be stable owners with local roots for MTL, alot of good things happening this year. 

Tor  still needs to be fixed but that won't be quick or easy.

Maybe they are still under the cap now.   And maybe it was the team coaching salary cap and not players?   Either way they could six game a few players to stay under the cap and I thought the cap needed to be met at the end of the year.    Ie cut people to stay u see it before vet contracts are guaranteed

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I really really hope this is the last we have seen of Reed in the CFL. 

Better management in Sask was good for the league (addition by subtraction) Reed canned, khari taking over the HC job, what could be stable owners with local roots for MTL, alot of good things happening this year. 

Tor  still needs to be fixed but that won't be quick or easy.

Khari is such a great guy. He has the success formula. A professional. 

Montreal has new ownership, with light at the end of the tunnel. 

While watching the Argos and Blue on Friday, I couldn’t quite understand how they could fall so far from being champs just  20 months ago. Well they did have crappy attendance then also. Solid Canadian ownership/management, like the Trevelings, would be a tremendous boost. 

There has been consequences to Reed's screwing with the rules- he has been fired, the coach has been fired and Mack has to be on very thin ice. I do not expect Mack to survive the coming purge and the best he can hope for is to survive the season with his salary. I cannot see how the CFL can punish the team to any extent. The team is staggering at best with a flicker of hope and the truth is that the CFL is much better off with a vibrant team in Montreal. Reed is done in the CFL and probably in all of pro football. he will be lucky if he is not charged with fraud.                                                                                                                                                                       

Edited by Tracker

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

There has been consequences to Reed's screwing with the rules- he has been fired, the coach has been fired and Mack has to be on very thin ice. I do not expect Mack to survive the coming purge and the best he can hope for is to survive the season with his salary. I cannot see how the CFL can punish the team to any extent. The team is staggering at best with a flicker of hope and the truth is that the CFL is much better off with a vibrant team in Montreal. Reed is done in the CFL and probably in all of pro football. he will be lucky if he is not charged with fraud.                                                                                                                                                                             po

There’s a spot for him at Widener College with no budget responsibilities. 

20 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Everyone thought Chris Jones was the CFL's biggest villain, all dressed in black with his safe house full of practice players. Yet there was old Konsequences Kavis...hiding in the reeds while embezzling from his own club.

Well, he was. We need villains. 

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Everyone thought Chris Jones was the CFL's biggest villain, all dressed in black with his safe house full of practice players. Yet there was old Konsequences Kavis...hiding in the reeds while embezzling from his own club.

Jones stole money from the Rider organization, the difference is he put it in his contract and got the flat-billies to agree to let him do it.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do think if the league does a financial audit & they find improprieties then the Als should be subject to penalties like the other teams would be.  However, your point is valid.  Would the CFL penalize the new owners of the Als? Probably not.

As someone who works in the field, it is the responsibility of Als management to detect fraud, not the auditors. This is a huge misconception in accounting.

31 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

As someone who works in the field, it is the responsibility of Als management to detect fraud, not the auditors. This is a huge misconception in accounting.

I would agree with a financial audit as I'm sure kavis's trips etc are probably below the threshold for materiality and even then it's not the financial auditors responsibility to know if he's actually scouting or whatever he said he was doing on the trip. But I think he's suggesting the league comes in and does some kind of forensic audit.

13 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

He looks even sleepier now! Good luck Montreal! Kiss your Canadian talent and draft picks goodbye.

I have a feeling he won't be there for long. Certainly not long enough to do much damage. 

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

Claybrooks has figured out what is going wrong:

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/10/listen-18608.html?cb=1563200554.900891

I coach good.  They play bad.     This won't end well......

I read that quote this morning and went "Oooooohhhh". For those who want a TLDR, Claybrooks: "Not my fault".....