2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

My wild guess is that it's easier to sell the team if Kavis isn't the GM. Mack was 'promoted' cuz his salary is already included in the Mgmt SMS. New owners will put their own folks in charge, but that isn't happening until after the season is over.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Joe Mack pulls off the palace coup.

“Joe Mack will now have oversight of all football operations, but the team will be jointly managed with Khari Jones,” Alouettes President and CEO Patrick Boivin said in a team-issued statement.  “Specifically, coach Jones will now be responsible for our active roster on a daily basis, and Joe will oversee all player personnel and football operation matters, including salary cap, contracts, operations and logistics. Patrick Donovan remains Director of Football Operations. These are standout individuals and are steadfast on collaboratively doing what is best for this team to win.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/14/als-part-ways-gm-kavis-reed/

This feels like “out goes Trump, Mike Pence now in charge”

Wow, Khari goes from OC to co-GM / HC / OC in the space of 5 weeks. #onlyinthecfl

I don't remember #thanksjoemack but I do remember #IMWT from back in 2010 and 2011. Will Montreal trust Mack this time out? 

Mack seems to have done ok as a player personnel guy in Montreal, they've brought on some legit rookie American talent during his run -- Stanback, Bray, and Lewis at least.  Khari's just gotta keep him away from the draft table.

Edited by johnzo

4 hours ago, do or die said:

.... and drafting injured guys... and riding the Buck wagon too long

To be fair kongbo was hurt and others we've picked have been or coming off injuries too. Yeah rode poor buck into the dirt. 

I think in the off season Mack is replaced by an elite teams top Scout or co gm. With our guys being prime targets. 

Edited by wbbfan

38 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Holy hell. If the circumvention thing is true he should be barred from management positions in the CFL

Miscreants get all sorts of chances. No way in H would I ever hire the guy, but some one may and feel good that it’s a reclamation project. As a thief, all he’s good for is picking things up, and putting things down. 

Edited by Rod Black

If true, I don't see how the Als can claim that they took care of the circumventing the cap problem by firing Reed. He still cheated & therefore the Als should be subjected to whatever financial & player penalty that is appropriate. What message does it send to teams that don't cheat that nothing will happen to an organization if it does?

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If true, I don't see how the Als can claim that they took care of the circumventing the cap problem by firing Reed. He still cheated & therefore the Als should be subjected to whatever financial & player penalty that is appropriate. What message does it send to teams that don't cheat that nothing will happen to an organization if it does?

By taking the action before a complaint, they could claim they were responsible to the league rules. They may be subject to appropriate league sanctions if stipulated safeguards were not followed. The accusation of failure to follow CFL stipulated rules would rest with league management. If there is no rule, the team is in much better shape to defend charges. New management is in good stead by saying, “hey, we found it.” 

Just now, Rod Black said:

By taking the action before a complaint, they could claim they were responsible to the league rules. They may be subject to appropriate league sanctions if stipulated safeguards were not followed. The accusation of failure to follow CFL stipulated rules would rest with league management. If there is no rule, the team is in much better shape to defend charges. New management is in good stead by saying, “hey, we found it.” 

I do think if the league does a financial audit & they find improprieties then the Als should be subject to penalties like the other teams would be.  However, your point is valid.  Would the CFL penalize the new owners of the Als? Probably not.