2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

20 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Come on, what good bands ever came out of Winnipeg?

Off the top of my head (current bands): JD Edwards Band, The Bros Landreth (Joey Landreth and Ariel Posen have great solo projects too), The Honeysliders, Moon Tan, Anything Johnny Moonbeam is associated with.... I'm sure there's plenty of other ones that I can't come up with right now...

Some classics listed in the thread too...

55 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The purpose of my list was bands that still exist and could actually play at half time... of course the Guess Who are, and will likely forever be, the most famous band to come out of Winnipeg... 

I realize Neil Young is not a band, but would he be the most famous of any musician to have come from the Peg?  Just curious...

19 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I realize Neil Young is not a band, but would he be the most famous of any musician to have come from the Peg?  Just curious...

Do people still claim him as a Winnipegger? I've always thought of him more as T-Bay.....

But how long was he in the city? I thought he lived in Ontario a lot longer and then moved away quickly after he got here...? Maybe I've got the timeline wrong...it's a good 20 years before my time...

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He went to Grant Park High School. He started out playing community clubs in town along with other bands. He's a Winnipegger. But he left in the late 60's.

Young and his mother settled into the working-class area of Fort Rouge, Winnipeg, where the shy, dry-humoured youth enrolled at Earl Grey Junior High School. It was there that he formed his first band, the Jades, and met Ken Koblun. While attending Kelvin High School in Winnipeg, he played in several instrumental rock bands, eventually dropping out of school in favour of a musical career.[31] Young's first stable band was the Squires, with Ken Koblun, Jeff Wuckert and Bill Edmondson on drums, who had a local hit called "The Sultan". The band played in Fort William (now part of the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario), where they recorded a series of demos produced by a local producer, Ray Dee, who Young called "the original Briggs".[32] While playing at The Flamingo, Young met Stephen Stills, whose band the Company were playing the same venue, and they became friends.[33] The Squires played in several dance halls and clubs in Winnipeg and Ontario.[34]

So I’m traveling through Saskatchewan doing some mini donut events this summer, and I turn on the radio and within 30 seconds—I kid you not—I hear and I quote “ye and years later my mother told me that the woman I was in a relationship with was my cousin” on 94.1 fm @Ripper Saskatoon I guess the stereotype is true