2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Just now, Tracker said:

Loffler has had a lot of owies so far in his career and this is a serious one. I watched him in the last Als game and he didn't look all that effective. Even if he wants to take another shot at the CFL, teams would be understandably reluctant to sign him.

I was a big fan three years ago but his play has substantially gone downhill since then.  I do hope that he's still able to play though.  Good move by the Bombers to let him test other pastures.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was a big fan three years ago but his play has substantially gone downhill since then.  I do hope that he's still able to play though.  Good move by the Bombers to let him test other pastures.

If he can play in the CFL again, no matter where, that would be a bonus for him. I would be more concerned about him hobbling around like Bobby Orr- a 75 year old body in a 40 year old guy.

57 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, definitely on-field product could be to blame for the drop in viewership.  There are some downright stinky teams this year.  Bright side is, if this isn't the Bombers' year, then I don't know what.

So have we ever had a week 2 with only 3 games before? Not to mention 2 of those games were absolute laughers. Also week one had at least one game competing with the NBA finals which likely takes a bite out of viewer numbers too. 

11 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Without the benefit of hindsight, I’d say that Poblah was a good pick at the time but Waggoner absolutely was not. 

Waggoner had Shomari Williams 2.0 written all over him and lived up to those expectations. He was never going to be a a quality CFL starter. 

With that being said, the draft is a crapshoot and you swing and you miss sometimes. 

Hate to nitpick but did you ever watch Waggoner play in college? Because people who did (Buono) wanted him even before he was Canadian.

So many people forget this guy was on a negotiation list with the Lions before he ever was confirmed as a non import.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hate to nitpick but did you ever watch Waggoner play in college? Because people who did (Buono) wanted him even before he was Canadian.

So many people forget this guy was on a negotiation list with the Lions before he ever was confirmed as a non import.

People are evaluating these things with a whole heaping pile of hindsight. Wagoner and Poblah were going to come to the CFL when people thought they were Americans never mind their draft status.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

2019 - 1990 = 29 years.  But we will win it this year, so the drought will end at 28 years.  The longest drought is 31 years I believe.  Hamilton is the second longest drought.  Tough to think that the REDBLACKS already have a cup in their short existence, but c'est la vie.  

Here are each team's 20 years or longer (except Edmonton) Grey Cup droughts:

BC - 21 years (1964-85)

Edm -19 years (1956-75)

Cal - 23 years (1948-71), 21 years (1971-92)

Sask - 44 years* (team founded in 1910, could not play for the Grey Cup until 1921, barred from playing in 1940 due to different Western rules, so 1921-39, 41-66), 23 years (1966-89)

Wpg - 29 years (1990-present), 22 years (1962-84)

Hamilton - 20 years (1999-present)

Toronto - 31 years (1952-83)

Ottawa - 27 years* (40 years from 1976-2016, but no team from 1997-2001 and 2006-13)

Montreal - 21 years (1949-70), 16 years* (25 years from 1977-2002, but no team from 1987-95)

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Loffler has had a lot of owies so far in his career and this is a serious one. I watched him in the last Als game and he didn't look all that effective. Even if he wants to take another shot at the CFL, teams would be understandably reluctant to sign him.

He missed 4 games in 3 years here, including not being activated for the first week of his rookie year (the macho harris era). 3 games in 3 years is good for the way he plays football. Now in college he had iirc 2 major injuries and health was a big concern coming out. 

ACL is always a scary recovery. Hes 27 though and time is on his side. He recovered from the bad college injuries very well so there is reason to be optimistic that he can come back. 

1 hour ago, MC said:

The first few weeks of the CFL season are always a crap shoot.  With only 2 preseason games, almost complete lack of physicality in practices, and offseason turnover caused by the salary cap, the first part of the season is bound to be sloppy.  

Do we want to watch sloppy football that matters or have to suffer through two more weeks of unwatchable crap that is the NFL preseason?  Everybody needs to get over it. 

Ive always thought that the best balance would be a 3 game pre season. Have the first 2 weeks with a high roster cap. Then have a cut down to between 65-70 players and one more game. This is your roster, your PR and the primary guys battling for PR spots. Then have 3 days for the final cut down and roster shuffling, and 5 days of practice with your regular roster and PR before week 1 games. 

I think a part of pulling this off would involve eliminating mini camp. That would be replaced by improving the quality of FA camps. The CFLPA would obviously want the players to get more money as they would be playing 1 extra game, and in camp for probably 2 weeks longer. But it would easily be worth while imo. 

14 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And showing the same f****ing commercials over and over and over and over and over

I want to see that 7-11 commercial again. Not.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Thank you, am I the only one that doesnt like the Thursday night song?

I cant listen to it again. I wont. Not in any part or form. Id rather listen to pederson or suitor slurp the riders. Or to ford and black talk about that burger. Id rather listen to them all noisily eat that burger. 

Also the worst anthem ive ever seen at a bomber game. The dude was mumbling every couple of lines behind her vocals. Like he only knew 4 or 5 lines total. WTF soo bad. 

Is my football I.Q. so askew that it can't understand why you kick a FG on 1st down with 2:00 left and down by 10? Why yes,  yes it is. Therefore, someone please, explain this stategy to me.

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

Is my football I.Q. so askew that it can't understand why you kick a FG on 1st down with 2:00 left and down by 10? Why yes,  yes it is. Therefore, someone please, explain this stategy to me.

Left them enough time to get a 2 and out and get the ball back with a minute left. Going for the td on that drive may have left them needing to try an onside kick.

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

I can see kicking that field goal on 2nd down, then you have a chance to reset if some thing goes wrong. But I would have taken 1 shot at the end zone 100%. 

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Left them enough time to get a 2 and out and get the ball back with a minute left. Going for the td on that drive may have left them needing to try an onside kick.

Idk You could take 1 shot for free. Try and get ellingson in a 1 on 1 throw it to the corner where it cant be picked. 

11 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I guess the part I'm struggling with is you have 2 minutes to score at least 10 points, a TD and a FG. From that point on the field, you have a good chance to score the major. You may never have that chance again. But if you score the major, the FG could come from 50-55 yards, a much easier prospect. Wouldn't you rather be faced with a possible onside kick for a FG at the end rather than a long drive for a TD? 2 minutes is enough time for 2 TDs also. You could actually win the game, but not after the FG. 

Edited by J5V

14 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Works if play a team that has no hope of getting a first down...I mean **** Edmonton had two more possessions after that FG.

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I cant listen to it again. I wont. Not in any part or form. Id rather listen to pederson or suitor slurp the riders. Or to ford and black talk about that burger. Id rather listen to them all noisily eat that burger. 

Also the worst anthem ive ever seen at a bomber game. The dude was mumbling every couple of lines behind her vocals. Like he only knew 4 or 5 lines total. WTF soo bad. 

I was in the “mosh” ... 

my girlfriend, although beautiful has scary bad taste in music