2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And I saw independent scouting reports saying poblah hands down would have been a 1st overall pick. Just because he didn't work out (as many picks don't) doesn't mean the bombers were out of line spending a first round pick. Fact isn't they didn't spend a first someone else would have.

By all accounts Kito was a stud and easily a top three pick in the regular draft. I don't blame Joe Mack for taking him- it was a smart pick at the time.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Eli may very well be a better prospect but he also would have gone a lot higher if the other GMs knew he was intending to continue playing football.

I bet this guy is on the Riders roster within 2 weeks. He is better than Braden Schram at the very least.

True. Idk how good this guy is. being a rookie, with no camp, and under sized, does not bode well imo. Hes a guy Id take the growing pains with but you will see very quickly if he has what it takes. I would not want to be in that situation. And we are essentially starting 3 un tested OL right now. But those guys had multiple camps, and are adequate or better in size.

Henry got fined for his out of bounds bump on Davis.

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced three fines after Week 2 action on Wednesday.

Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive lineman Makana Henry was fined for unnecessary contact inside the bench area on Ottawa REDBLACKS quarterback Dominique Davis.

Edmonton Eskimos defensive lineman Nick Usher was fined for using the crown of his helmet to make contact with the head of BC Lions quarterback Mike Reilly.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive lineman Eddy Wilson II was fined for a tourist hit on Toronto Argonauts kicker Ronnie Pfeffer.

As per league policy, the amounts of the player fines were not disclosed.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/26/three-players-fined-week-2-action/

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Especially considering the state of the teams NIs at the time. 

and I don't get the angst over Waggoner either. Guy was a contributer on special teams at least and retired at a point when he might have gotten more responsibility. 

Some people just always have a bone to pick. It's the draft, it's hit or miss. 

It’s not a bone to pick it’s just looking like teams are less likely to use first rounders and with good reason

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Especially considering the state of the teams NIs at the time. 

and I don't get the angst over Waggoner either. Guy was a contributer on special teams at least and retired at a point when he might have gotten more responsibility. 

Some people just always have a bone to pick. It's the draft, it's hit or miss. 

Without the benefit of hindsight, I’d say that Poblah was a good pick at the time but Waggoner absolutely was not. 

Waggoner had Shomari Williams 2.0 written all over him and lived up to those expectations. He was never going to be a a quality CFL starter. 

With that being said, the draft is a crapshoot and you swing and you miss sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

TSN reports viewership is down overall...

Fans report that game announcers have a lot to do with it..

y'know ordinarily I'd be down with that but that Ticat-Argo game was so bad that I wish they'd just stayed with the Ricky Ray interview through the entire second half so at least they could reminisce about Argo highlights.

40 minutes ago, johnzo said:

y'know ordinarily I'd be down with that but that Ticat-Argo game was so bad that I wish they'd just stayed with the Ricky Ray interview through the entire second half so at least they could reminisce about Argo highlights.

yes, definitely on-field product could be to blame for the drop in viewership.  There are some downright stinky teams this year.  Bright side is, if this isn't the Bombers' year, then I don't know what.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, definitely on-field product could be to blame for the drop in viewership.  There are some downright stinky teams this year.  Bright side is, if this isn't the Bombers' year, then I don't know what.

ya know, I'd hate to think it would be because the opposition was very weak that we got to sip from the Cup....BUT after 27 yrs...... or is it 28 of drought at winning the classic....I'll take it....and I hope we beat up on a few teams on the way

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

ya know, I'd hate to think it would be because the opposition was very weak that we got to sip from the Cup....BUT after 27 yrs...... or is it 28 of drought at winning the classic....I'll take it....and I hope we beat up on a few teams on the way

2019 - 1990 = 29 years.  But we will win it this year, so the drought will end at 28 years.  The longest drought is 31 years I believe.  Hamilton is the second longest drought.  Tough to think that the REDBLACKS already have a cup in their short existence, but c'est la vie.  

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

2019 - 1990 = 29 years.  But we will win it this year, so the drought will end at 28 years.  The longest drought is 31 years I believe.  Hamilton is the second longest drought.  Tough to think that the REDBLACKS already have a cup in their short existence, but c'est la vie.  

Lost track and the years of frustration have obviously screwed up my memory...

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Couldn't have anything to do with a F.A. agreement that turns over 30% of each team's roster every year effectively destroying continuity and competence.  Can't blame TSN for that when the league and CFLPA are into self-mutilation.  

The first few weeks of the CFL season are always a crap shoot.  With only 2 preseason games, almost complete lack of physicality in practices, and offseason turnover caused by the salary cap, the first part of the season is bound to be sloppy.  

Do we want to watch sloppy football that matters or have to suffer through two more weeks of unwatchable crap that is the NFL preseason?  Everybody needs to get over it. 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Hopefully He can come back from this. 

Loffler has had a lot of owies so far in his career and this is a serious one. I watched him in the last Als game and he didn't look all that effective. Even if he wants to take another shot at the CFL, teams would be understandably reluctant to sign him.