2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Clearly there were some teams who were not all that interested in him who fed some BS to 3downnation hoping that whoever ended up with him would over pay. If he was a top 15 calibre player in this past year's draft I think we would have seen a team propose a 2nd round pick for him.  At least 5 CFL teams didn't think he was worthy of a 3rd round pick. 

14 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Clearly there were some teams who were not all that interested in him who fed some BS to 3downnation hoping that whoever ended up with him would over pay. If he was a top 15 calibre player in this past year's draft I think we would have seen a team propose a 2nd round pick for him.  At least 5 CFL teams didn't think he was worthy of a 3rd round pick. 

Has supplementals been this late before? I figure adding a OL is not going to affect starting line up this year anyway but it is late.

47 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Starting centre for three years in div1 FBS, with some pro experience and no NFL interest... don't think anyone needed to feed BS to 3DN, that's a top prospect profile every year.

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Starting centre for three years in div1 FBS, with some pro experience and no NFL interest... don't think anyone needed to feed BS to 3DN, that's a top prospect profile every year.

I won't argue this guy's credentials but it does seem like every supplemental draft prospect gets talked up as a potential 1st overall pick had they been in the regular draft.  The way the system is set-up, it makes sense that teams try to pump the tires on these guys so that other teams over-pay for them like we did with Poblah & Waggoner.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Sask might have realized that no one else is really in the market for a Centre...  

We definitely overpaid for Poblah and Waggoner - didn't Laurent go for a 2nd or 3rd...?

Poblah was one of those, "Who is this guy?" picks but Waggoner looked to be able to play but decided his future was elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Has supplementals been this late before? I figure adding a OL is not going to affect starting line up this year anyway but it is late.

We took wolitarsky june 27 of 2017.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Eli is a better prospect imo. Hes good certainly, but not plug n play by any means. A guy who develop and take the growing pains with for sure. But missing TC is huge. 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Poblah was one of those, "Who is this guy?" picks but Waggoner looked to be able to play but decided his future was elsewhere.

Both were guys who offered to make our active roster right away, at a time we were thing on NI talent. With no other means of getting any better NI talent at the point in time we got them, and with hope that our picks the following years would be high not low. Both of those guys would have been first round picks no doubt, they just didnt work out. Way she goes. 

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Just not sure what other teams have offered 1st round picks in the supplemental...  there was Montreal last year for Johnstone - but is he actually better than Gibbons or Desjarlais...?

Tough call - Wolitarsky is an absolute steal... would have been second round pick at least and we gave up nothing (still picked up Petermann)

Waggoner was a huge miss...  no way anyone is picking him over Singleton

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So I seem to recall more teams than Winnipeg bidding a first for poblah. 

I think that was another Mack justification...  like Brendan LaBatte was 'always' going back to Sask and Reilly was 'already signed' in BC so why try...

Lots of #fakenews in that era...

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think that was another Mack justification...  like Brendan LaBatte was 'always' going back to Sask and Reilly was 'already signed' in BC so why try...

Reilly was never coming here and pretty sure Toronto did bid a first on poblah too. You say fake news, I say reasons.

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Poblah had a solid resume when he entered the draft. The question about him were his hands...and we all know how that worked out.

yeah I remember thinking at the time "Hey Poblah Ray Neufeld wants his hands back" - and then I smiled at my own cleverness and went about my day.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

League wide hype was strong for poblah. Look at that era in the draft. And see how many big, athletic division 1 wrs with good college stats (2k yards, 15 tds, 150 catches, and some return duties) went after the first round. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Just not sure what other teams have offered 1st round picks in the supplemental...  there was Montreal last year for Johnstone - but is he actually better than Gibbons or Desjarlais...?

Tough call - Wolitarsky is an absolute steal... would have been second round pick at least and we gave up nothing (still picked up Petermann)

Waggoner was a huge miss...  no way anyone is picking him over Singleton

Thats just revisionist history. Singleton was thought to be good, but not by any means a franchise star NI. There is a reason he was available at a ratio breaker position when the stamps picked. Waggoner was a good back up and very good teams player who decided to retire young going into his prime. Singleton was a phenom anomaly. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We took wolitarsky june 27 of 2017.

Eli is a better prospect imo. Hes good certainly, but not plug n play by any means. A guy who develop and take the growing pains with for sure. But missing TC is huge. 

Eli may very well be a better prospect but he also would have gone a lot higher if the other GMs knew he was intending to continue playing football.

I bet this guy is on the Riders roster within 2 weeks. He is better than Braden Schram at the very least.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Eli may very well be a better prospect but he also would have gone a lot higher if the other GMs knew he was intending to continue playing football.

I bet this guy is on the Riders roster within 2 weeks. He is better than Braden Schram at the very least.

Damning with faint praise. As in: "For a fat girl, you don't sweat very much".

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Reilly was never coming here and pretty sure Toronto did bid a first on poblah too. You say fake news, I say reasons.

He was on their neg list that's all...  like I said #fakenews and an overpayment