2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

There's one play that Bishop made that totally sticks in my mind.

Can't remember who we were playing but Bishop walks up behind center and gets ready to call signals. The defence must have been trash talking because he pauses briefly, looks at them and holds up 7 fingers. He then starts the play, drops back and throws a beauty pass to one of our receivers who takes it in for the TD. One of the commentators says "Who does he think he is? Babe Ruth?" 

31 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Can't remember who we were playing but Bishop walks up behind center and gets ready to call signals. The defence must have been trash talking because he pauses briefly, looks at them and holds up 7 fingers. He then starts the play, drops back and throws a beauty pass to one of our receivers who takes it in for the TD. One of the commentators says "Who does he think he is? Babe Ruth?" 

I think he even pointed to the receiver he was going to send the bomb to as well... and they were something like 50 yard from the endzone

I remember that as well.... so good

1 hour ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Nice trick, given that the book on Bishop was that he had to take off all his clothes in order to count to 21.

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The strongest arm in bomber history imo. Insane. The 10 yard ish pass early one he was virtually on his knees. 

The real amazing thing in that highlight is the als being first in the league. 

I remember when at practice,the punter was booting 60 yard punts from one sideline to Bishop at the other side and Micheal was literally just flicking his wrist and rifling the ball back to the punter on the other side like it was nothing. Bishop by far had the strongest arm in Bomber history,its just too bad he could barely hit the broad side of a barn.

52 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I remember when at practice,the punter was booting 60 yard punts from one sideline to Bishop at the other side and Micheal was literally just flicking his wrist and rifling the ball back to the punter on the other side like it was nothing. Bishop by far had the strongest arm in Bomber history,its just too bad he could barely hit the broad side of a barn.

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Couldn't read a defense....not sure how well he could comprehend a playbook.....but so many physical gifts.

You know that was definitely the knock on Bishop throughout his career in the CFL... but given how often he was brought into shitty situations with little to no time to actually learn a playbook it's hard to judge how much of his inadequacies were the result of the situation he was put into.   The fact is that for the seasons he spent in Toronto he did a pretty adequate job as QB.

Look at 2009... yeh his numbers sucked, but how many QB's would really be able to come in halfway through a season and have great numbers running the Mike Kelly offense?

I almost think the period from 2010 - 2014 wouldn't have been so bleak if we had just kept Bishop around for the whole time (although Buck was nice to have when he was healthy)

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

For discussion as who had the strongest arm: Matthew Teague and Joe "747" Adams. Teague threw so hard that he tore the skin off the palms of receivers 10 yards downfield.

Hand injuries are fairly common among strong arm qb's, especially ones that aren't great and don't know how to use touch and take some thing off the ball.  Jamarcus russell broke more fingers with passes then picks and tds combined. (maybe the hardest tosser in history)

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When Brock was with the Rams he said in his book he threw the ball 95 yards in practice once. Brock had a better grasp of his offense than Bishop did of his playbook. Bishop was a much more athletic qb who had wheels. He liked to run. Brock liked to stay in the pocket & throw the ball.

Agree, and that explosive leg drive, hip torque is the difference imo. Same as looking at the hardest pitchers in baseball from the 70s-80s vs now. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Couldn't read a defense....not sure how well he could comprehend a playbook.....but so many physical gifts.

If you could put bucks heart and football IQ into bishops body... 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Montreal wants to set a record..

Hes trying to hit for the cycle like kevin glenn, in 1/3 the time. Hes gotta be up to half the league already. 

Simoni Lawrence's appeal hearing for his hit to the head of Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Zach Collaros is set for July 9, meaning the Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker will get to play in three games after he was originally suspended for two games by the CFL earlier this week, according to TSN's Farhan Lalji. 

Geez, how hard can that be?

5 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

You know that was definitely the knock on Bishop throughout his career in the CFL... but given how often he was brought into shitty situations with little to no time to actually learn a playbook it's hard to judge how much of his inadequacies were the result of the situation he was put into.   The fact is that for the seasons he spent in Toronto he did a pretty adequate job as QB.

Look at 2009... yeh his numbers sucked, but how many QB's would really be able to come in halfway through a season and have great numbers running the Mike Kelly offense?

I almost think the period from 2010 - 2014 wouldn't have been so bleak if we had just kept Bishop around for the whole time (although Buck was nice to have when he was healthy)

Bishop was knocked for not being smart which i don't think was the case.

Atleast while with the bombers, he was at home down south when he got the call and started the first week he was here.    If i recall correctly he stopped listening to the calls MIke Kelly was calling and started running his own plays and Kelly was livid.  I also recall that he was shaking his head at kelly on the side line, ran the play, it was blocked/picked and he turned at Kelly with his arm up and yelled i told you so.

Kelly was an egomaniac.  He may have done alot better had he been humble and didnt try to make it all about him and his way.. The pistol package and jet package etc.  What a ******* tool.. I'm been a fan since i was a kid in then late 80s, and Kelly is the only Coach i have ever hated and wanted them to DIE.  I couldn't wait for Kelly.

Reinbold was horrible, but was really likable and the players loved him

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Which team has the best starter, backup situation?

Bombers with Nichols-Streveler is very good.... as is BLM-Arbuckle... Arbuckle doesn't have much experience yet but he's going to be a good one.

Beyond that, I don't think anyone could even make a legitimate case. Ticat fans might say Masoli-Evans but that's just wishful thinking.

SSK and MTL aren't even in the conversation. TOR doesn't have a legit #1 but two very good backups... EDM has Kilgore backing up and BC has O'Brien, both of whom have proven only that they should not be pro QBs.

Quarterback depth in the CFL seems to be at an all time low. Hope everyone stays healthy.

10 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Dude Montreal’s season is doomed already. Kevin doesn’t need that crap. 

Sure would be odd to have Kevin Glen’s head coach be the guy whose starting job he took back in the day. Imagine if Ricky Ray hasn’t retired and was playing for Jason Maas and the Esks right now.