2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

He is just along for the ride.  Hand off to Harris and don't do anything dumb Matt. Don't try to throw too many passes , we don't want any turnovers. 

31 and 14 over last couple years...seems like a good strategy 😁 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Stats are funny aren't they.  They can tell a story many different ways, just depends how we want to look at them. I am glad you are happy with Matt, its just another year running the sands of time out of Harris's career.  

Just now, Rod Black said:

A SK fan idea for a post on “How to make friends and influence people” at Morning Big Blue. 

The whole premise is stupid. As if Nichols just hands off. Guy throws TDs and protects the ball. They just feel inadequate because they were told that they were on their way up when really the team was just getting gutted.  They are nothing and have been nothing for so long. They just listen to people like Pederson and Nye, drinking the green-toilet water. 

13 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Stats are funny aren't they.  They can tell a story many different ways, just depends how we want to look at them. I am glad you are happy with Matt, its just another year running the sands of time out of Harris's career.  

yeah they are funny...really funny as people yapped about Collaros being a 10-4 starter last year and  "back" and maybe...maaaaybeee one of the wins was a direct result of his play...how much sand do you think is left in just as old Powell with no QB whatsoever to help ease his pain and work load and a patchwork crappy o-line?...I bet nine times out of 10 whatever qb you trot out there won't have Nichols like stats...no INT's...3 TD'S 30+ points scored winning time of possession...be like 2-3 picks...multiple 2 and outs...no TD passes and maybe offence produced in the high teens 

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

The whole premise is stupid. As if Nichols just hands off. Guy throws TDs and protects the ball. They just feel inadequate because they were told that they were on their way up when really the team was just getting gutted.  They are nothing and have been nothing for so long. They just listen to people like Pederson and Nye, drinking the green-toilet water. 

Well sure. An enduring demonstration of the worst kind of fan there is. 

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Saskatchewan, also known as the “Quarterback Controversy Capital of Canada,” - Darrell Davis

sask...the place where The Roughriders have subsequently gone six full games (including one playoff contest) and three additional quarters without an aerial score.

Bet havinf a scrub like Nichols wouldn't have led to that...just saying

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

sask...the place where The Roughriders have subsequently gone six full games (including one playoff contest) and three additional quarters without an aerial score.

Bet havinf a scrub like Nichols wouldn't have led to that...just saying

Yes and the Riders don't have a Streveler either, although I'm sure Ripper would think of him as a Ham 'N Egger too. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

In fairness Bishop was what 12 - 0 with Toronto at one point in time?   The stats don't tell the full truth. 

That being said if it's simply easy enough to hand off a ball to an all star RB then shouldn't Fajardo have an easy time and a tonne of wins because of Powell? 

I don't think anyone thinks Nichols is some kind of hall of fame all time great qb.   He is however smart enough to avoid making huge mistakes and I would think if we had a guy like Jennings throwing the ball that we would of lost many more games with all the unnecessary turn overs.  

As for Harris and sands of time.... we drafted his replacement who looks real good and Streveler will be the QB at that time.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I wish I could like this comment x5. It's SOOO true. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Right like the riders stats last year. They sucked with Collaros, and only got worse without him. When was the last time Nichols was shut out? I can't remember myself, but maybe you do. Or can you tell us which team won the WSF? I can't remember if it was the home team or not. Well at least Collaros had more TD passes than most back up qbs right? That would be ridiculous if he didn't. If there's something I want out of my QB, it's lots of td passes and no interceptions. Who cares if they win or not. That doesn't matter.

Also, sands of time out of harris's career....might be the dumbest thing you've said yet. Congratulations on pointing out that the best RB in the league only has a few more years (if lucky) left in his career. I'm surprised you could do the math on that. I guess we will have to come to terms with the fact that the Bombers might only have the leading rusher for at least 1 more year...oh how sad.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

He is just along for the ride.  Hand off to Harris and don't do anything dumb Matt. Don't try to throw too many passes , we don't want any turnovers. 

I'm sorry.. and i'm not being a hommer here, but Nichols is underrated by most fans in the CFL as he is not as flashy as Rielly or bo Levi.  He plays with what is called by Lapo and in past seasons we had only one deep threat that was always covered (Adams) and they were forced to dump it off of make shorter throws.   These were all pretty effective and we moved the ball and scored alot of points.   Now that we have multiple Deep threats (adams, mathews, whitehead,Wolitarsky et all) we have already seen Him and Lapo stretch the field multiple times in preseason and last week.  I believe that this will continue to happen throughout the season assuming those receivers are open and can make the catches. 

I'm perfectly happy with the well rounded offence we have currently and wouldn't want to swap out Nichols for Rielly or Bo Levi with their associated salary. I think we have the potential to be a high scoring offence while balancing between deep, mid, short throws and a ground game.  Its going to be very hard for teams to defend and shutdown when we have the potential to go anywhere on the field.  I think Nichols is essential to us being successul and and Collaros, David, Harriss Et al would not be able to deliver. 

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Right like the riders stats last year. They sucked with Collaros, and only got worse without him. When was the last time Nichols was shut out? I can't remember myself, but maybe you do. Or can you tell us which team won the WSF? I can't remember if it was the home team or not. Well at least Collaros had more TD passes than most back up qbs right? That would be ridiculous if he didn't. If there's something I want out of my QB, it's lots of td passes and no interceptions. Who cares if they win or not. That doesn't matter.

Also, sands of time out of harris's career....might be the dumbest thing you've said yet. Congratulations on pointing out that the best RB in the league only has a few more years (if lucky) left in his career. I'm surprised you could do the math on that. I guess we will have to come to terms with the fact that the Bombers might only have the leading rusher for at least 1 more year...oh how sad.

Don't forget 300 yards passing! It's the most important stat of all. Also, thanks for mentioning the back-up QB thing. I didn't realize Streveler threw 2 more TD passes than Collaros last year. That's amazing. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Just a gut feeling, but I really hope this works out....Lapointe didn't have the capital to make this work long term, but I definitely think he should be involved. A former Als player with a connection to their most recent glory days, and clearly a good businessman. If, between him and Starke, they have the funds to do this properly, this is the best situation. Eff the sleazy dragon's den guy....

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just a gut feeling, but I really hope this works out....Lapointe didn't have the capital to make this work long term, but I definitely think he should be involved. A former Als player with a connection to their most recent glory days, and clearly a good businessman. If, between him and Starke, they have the funds to do this properly, this is the best situation. Eff the sleazy dragon's den guy....

First order of business in turning around a franchise, get a product on the field people want to watch.  No one wants to plunk down $50 to watch a bunch of losers.  Unlike Winnipeg though, the fanbases in most cities won't sit through and tolerate mediocrity and just keep supporting the team anyway.  They want to see winners.  So fix the product on the field first.