2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

23 minutes ago, do or die said:

Their D line (traditional strength) and corners didn't look that good.   Of course, one game in.....

They look mortal this year.  Been a long time since we could say that. Hate to say it as a Riders fan but you have a potential shot at being a first place team this year.  Injuries and what not, but definitely the best shot in recent years I would say.  Lots of football to play yet. 

59 minutes ago, Tracker said:

As a conditioning coach?

🤣 Maybe... I mean the life style he lived to perform at such a high athletic level is astounding. If he would have taken his strength and conditioning as serious as Pro milt from a young age I cant even imagine the heights he would have reached. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

They look mortal this year.  Been a long time since we could say that. Hate to say it as a Riders fan but you have a potential shot at being a first place team this year.  Injuries and what not, but definitely the best shot in recent years I would say.  Lots of football to play yet. 

And very little of it to be played by the Riders.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

But, how is that possible with such a "Ham 'N Egger" QB like Matt Nichols?

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

A strong statement from the Commissioner of the CFL:

the league has put on a tactical master class in how to deal with a situation like this. I wish the PA had gone about this differently, but I get it from their perspective. Money, always taking the side of the suspended party, they are consistent at least. This puts the onus on the players and PA reps on each team to go back to the PA and push for change. Especially all those players tweeting about how cheap/dirty the shot was and how punishment / better in game over sight was needed.

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

A strong statement from the Commissioner of the CFL:

Mr. Ambrosie would do well to let the players association tend to their business in defending a member that would lose over 10% of his salary. If it were in the neighbourhood of 15 grand, that’s a very hefty fine that would not be given in the case of a conviction for an assault in a criminal case. 

However, he is standing on the side of angels by advocating safety. 

In this case I believe even the players and practiced observers (TSN analysts and other media) were not lining up with Lawrence.

The CFLPA must have their own guidelines to deal with guilty parties as well as the little more innocent. They have to stand with all the players,

BUT

In some cases that would be harder to do.

The CFLPA stood strong in the latest negotiations with the CFL 

They must stand strong again, in the interest of player safety, and stipulate the 2 game suspension will carry forward, but perhaps, the game day cheques can be re-arranged this time.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

OMG, you are contradicting Rod “swami” Pedersen.  I agree with your post, Bombers do have a d3cent shot this year.  I knew ther were some reasonable Rider fans out there.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

In this case I believe even the players and practiced observers (TSN analysts and other media) were not lining up with Lawrence.

The CFLPA must have their own guidelines to deal with guilty parties as well as the little more innocent. They have to stand with all the players,

BUT

They must stand strong again, in the interest of player safety, and stipulate the 2 game suspension will carry forward, but perhaps, the game day cheques can be re-arranged this time.

The CFLPA has a duty to represent. They are required by law to represent a grievor even zealously. As far as we know Collaros hasn’t filed grievance for the league not protecting him. ZC is not a party to this dispute. 

Ambrosie could very easily have picked up the phone, informed the Association what the plan was, discussed it, and sought agreement on the quantum of penalty. He was not obligated to follow this method, but it is prudent. 

Nothing stops the league and the association from agreeing to penalties for identified infractions, such as substance abuse=Blah blah blah penalty, failing to report=blah blah penalty. The penalty is understood for a defined infraction, in writing, by all parties, and avoid some the cost of the legal proceedings that Ambrosie is writing about. 

Like the league doesn’t know that cheap shots happen, have happened and will continue to happen? 

If the CFLPA refuses to appeal on behalf of Lawrence in this situation then that makes them the judge of whether he is guilty or not. That is not their job. I don't like Ambrosie's statement here because he is clearly trying to drive a wedge between the members of the CFLPA. If he is so set on Lawrence receiving a 2 game suspension then he could have ruled it a 4 game suspension and let the CFLPA predictably appeal it and bring it down to 2. To ask the CFLPA to refuse to represent their own membership is asinine.

33 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

BUT

CFLPA represents Lawrence too.  They aren't necessarily condoning the act, but Lawrence pays dues too.  If he wishes to grieve/appeal, that's his right and they are his reps.  He pays dues.  He's well within his right.

12 hours ago, Zontar said:

The full diaper that is Prider World didn't begin when Collaros got signed or even got hurt.

It began the day Jones publicly undermined Durant for refusing a pay cut

Which begat The Plan . Which begat revolving door QBs.

Which the usual suspects slapped their flippers together like trained seals in support rather than show a lack of support for Jones.

So don't let them spin this like this is some overnight emergency suddenly thrust upon them. 

Ala the bombers firing Doug Berry, hiring Mike Kelly who I turn fired Kevin’s glen and then signed Lefors before realizing he ****** up and then forced him to renegotiate a lower contract before signing Mike Bishop ( I loved that guy even if the rest of the team sucked) 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

If the CFLPA refuses to appeal on behalf of Lawrence in this situation then that makes them the judge of whether he is guilty or not. That is not their job. I don't like Ambrosie's statement here because he is clearly trying to drive a wedge between the members of the CFLPA. If he is so set on Lawrence receiving a 2 game suspension then he could have ruled it a 4 game suspension and let the CFLPA predictably appeal it and bring it down to 2. To ask the CFLPA to refuse to represent their own membership is asinine.

Precise observation on what Ambrosie has done here. He is jeopardizing his relationship with the association by vilifying them for performing their duty. His disdain for them is a weakness, in his role. 

There is no evidence that Ambrosie is insincere in his desire for player safety. He’s implemented an additional bye week, fewer pads at practices. 

He needs to get the P.A. Involved in a cheap shot strategy which through his animus just made more it more difficult to achieve. 

I don’t mind this avenue.. arbitrator, but this should have been talked about in the negotiations

“Wow that's something I haven't seen before. CFL going after CFLPA for appealing the Simoni Lawrence suspension. If they want to appeal, great. But an arbitrator should be allowed to tack on another game if he sees fit. People would think twice about appealing.” - Joey Alfieri

From discussions I've heard, the PA can tell a player they won't appeal on their behalf if the punishment is reasonable and historically in line with past penalties 

In this case the argument could be made that no one had received a 2 game suspension for similar offenses in the past , thus is uncharted territory and has to be appealed 

I don't personally agree with it, but process must be followed 

Like so many times before two players of the CFLPA are involved in an incident. One player gets hurt as the result of a grade 2 roughing penalty and the other gets a 25 yards penalty plus a two game suspension.  The PA notifies the League  it will appeal the suspension as has been the case in most other instances. Where is the will to promote safety?  So at some point does it get included in a suit?

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Precise observation on what Ambrosie has done here. He is jeopardizing his relationship with the association by vilifying them for performing their duty. His disdain for them is a weakness, in his role. 

There is no evidence that Ambrosie is insincere in his desire for player safety. He’s implemented an additional bye week, fewer pads at practices. 

He needs to get the P.A. Involved in a cheap shot strategy which through his animus just made more it more difficult to achieve. 

The grandstanding is the quickest way to lose everybody’s respect as a leader.

What needed to happen was the league come up in the off-season with penalty criteria with the PA and GM’s on board.  First offense auto ejection and 25 yard penalty.  Next offense ejection and one-game suspension with escalating suspensions from there.  All of this auto reviewable such that a ref in the heat of a game at game speed can’t jeopardize this situation with a missed call.

No party would have disagreed with this in the off-season.

12 hours ago, J5V said:

But, how is that possible with such a "Ham 'N Egger" QB like Matt Nichols?

He is just along for the ride.  Hand off to Harris and don't do anything dumb Matt. Don't try to throw too many passes , we don't want any turnovers. 

Edited by Ripper