2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

About as well as we figured it would.  No one thought Collaros would make the season. Sad to see him go out like that, but is what it is. If we have a prayer it will be with Harker and a run game.  Guess we will see.  Better it was game one than game 10

Rider fans had better hope that Harker doesn't get beaten up so badly and so often that he gets to be like Willy and other QBs who looked promising but had their confidence shattered permanently. Quarterbacks are the lifeblood of the league.

We shall see if Harker can adapt once defenses figure out his game. To me he was looking at his target the whole time, better be damned accurate on the passes if you're going to be doing that. 

Bottom line if you gotta rely on a raw rookie to save your asses, well good luck to you. 

Not sure why they are so enamoured with Harker..raw rookie..no experience..no reason to feel that way really cause he made a few throws and looked moderately decent in pre season against nobodies.

If they roll with him..expect 1 win out of his play..maybe 2 if lucky

Lost in all the talk in Regina because of Shimoni-gate, is the fact that their OL is a complete mess that saw 2 QBs concussed in a half of football directly and indirectly because they couldn't protect them. Bladek and Labatte are months away, and Shepley was a matador out there and is most definitely not ready for reps yet. The QB situation is going to continue to devolve for them because, like last year, they can't give a QB 3 steamboats to operate without him being a puddle of goo afterwards.

Was re-signing Collaros a terrible idea...definitely...what makes it laughable is that they expected him to survive behind a hopeless OL.

Edited by gcn11

22 hours ago, Wideleft said:

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League announced Monday that it has issued a two-game suspension to Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Simoni Lawrence.

And he could have been suspended longer if they had included this hit.

Same game, same dirty hit..

Lawrence is going to be watched..👀  as well he should be

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Lost in all the talk in Regina because of Shimoni-gate, is the fact that their OL is a complete mess that saw 2 QBs concussed in a half of football directly and indirectly because they couldn't protect them. Bladek and Labatte are months away, and Shepley was a matador out there and is most definitely not ready for reps yet. The QB situation is going to continue to devolve for them because, like last year, they can't give a QB 3 steamboats to operate without him being a puddle of goo afterwards.

Was re-signing Collaros a terrible idea...definitely...what makes it laughable is that they expected him to survive behind a hopeless OL.

And the funny...or is it bizzare part of this mess was the media there, and the fan base yammering on about how they are well set up with oline talent and depth...never really understood that thought...Having a bunch of guys coming in to compete (like all teams do) doesn't constitute depth and the word talent thrown around there a little bit too freely as well.

I don't see any team that would start Clarke..Bladek or either of their Tackles ahead of what they have...Even Labatte on most teams would be a toss up as he has been a walking band-aid the last year and a bit....just didn't get it...and it will be blatantly obvious over the next few games how weak they are there...and at QB

Ol Jonsie sure left them in a nice mess...and their management this year did them no help in free agency and the draft..picking no o-lineman in draft, or going after any in free agency, nor targeting any young up and comers either...they grab guys like Watson, Powell, Soli and Johnson..all between 31 and 35 yrs old...like wtf??!?

Unless they get lucky and pull off some trades (which won't happen) they are going to be a steaming pile for years yet...and trying to rebuild it all next year in free agency will cost them dearly, and be like BC...No depth at all scenario

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Marve had 2 blown out knees.... Harker I don't believe carries any baggage.  

Was it 2 or 3? I want to say he blew out one knee twice and the other knee once. Either way, forget armchair qb that guy was a wheel chair qb when he arrived. 

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

And he could have been suspended longer if they had included this hit.

Same game, same dirty hit..

Lawrence is going to be watched..👀  as well he should be

The rider fans have been seething and calling for blood and it has gotten to the point that its kind of softening the blow of how dirty he is as a player. 

9 minutes ago, do or die said:

Football teams and individual players......file numbers away, for future reference.    Somebody is going to give Lawrence an adjustment, at some point.....

Hes been cruising for a bruising for a long time. 

If this ended up being his last season in the cfl, i wouldnt be disappointing or surprised. The refs are going to be watching him close and calling things a lot tighter with him now. When you operate on the edge, you can go belly up in a hurry. 

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dickenson was so impressed with the Oline play he called out Shepley to the Media! Haven't see someone do something like in a long time. Hopefully more to come, I'm sure that's a great way to build up a locker room lololololololol

Dickenson was just being honest, which is honestly refreshing.  Watch the interview it's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

https://www.riderville.com/2019/06/17/june-17th-craig-dickenson-media-availability/

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I know that its been discussed but the Riders should have just signed Glenn instead of Collaros as the #1 QB and then brought in some guys to develop.

They tried for Harris and missed out...  I think they should of went for Jennings as a stop gap ... at least he can move and take a few hits.

Tried for Harris but there was no way they were going to get him. No slight against the Riders but Maas and Sunderland had the clear advantage. Riders would have had to spend Reilly type money to steal him. 

Jennings was realistic. But, seriously, why overpay for a scrub QB when you can just run anyone out to lose each week? 

I bet they thought Collaros would last a few months while they tested a backup. Didn't work out. 

It's not like Glenn had done much over the part two seasons. 

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Tried for Harris but there was no way they were going to get him. No slight against the Riders but Maas and Sunderland had the clear advantage. Riders would have had to spend Reilly type money to steal him. 

Jennings was realistic. But, seriously, why overpay for a scrub QB when you can just run anyone out to lose each week? 

I bet they thought Collaros would last a few months while they tested backup. Didn't work out. 

It's not like Glenn had done much over the part two seasons. 

If im the riders (gross) after watching how the D played last year, and knowing collaros history I would spend elite money on harris if thats what it takes. Failing that, id bring back collaros, look to bring in some one like jennings and trade for some one like MBT or better.  21 games from week 1 to the grey cup. If you cant expect your qb to play atleast 16 to 17 you need a new qb. You just cant spot 4-5 games to another team at minimum and expect to contend. 

The most collaros has played is 14. Over the past 6 seasons, hes averaged 12 games a year. 12/21 even 12/18 is tough to make the play offs with in the west. Little on contend.