2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Doling out extra punishment for a hit for causing a concussion of  a guy who gets chronic concussions and arguably had no business playing is quite a precedent.

While I don't know about 6 games, I think one or two games susp plus a fine is fair enough.

But your continually bringing up Collaros's injury history in an attempt to minimize Lawrence's actions is way off base.  A cheap shot is a cheap shot either way you dice it up.

I mean, I don't always agree with the league's definition of a high hit or flags that get thrown on QB sacks.  But there's a reason why those flags are thrown regardless of what size the QB is or the impact of the hit.

If you want to debate whether or when the league should tell a player to hang it up because they've had too many concussions, fine.  I think that's legitimate.  But the rules are clearly defined as to which hits are legal and which are not, and Lawrence's was illegal.  /Of debate.

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Doling out extra punishment for a hit for causing a concussion of  a guy who gets chronic concussions and arguably had no business playing is quite a precedent.

The “thin skull doctrine”. It means the perpetrator gets no relief because of a fragile victim. But collaros shouldn’t have been playing. Mind you there are many guys that shouldn’t be playing. This is a brutal sport. 

Edited by Rod Black

It was a cheap shot by Simoni no doubt about it.  He went in head first and made no attempt to hold up.  Yes, Collaros is more susceptible to concussions given his past history but that should in no way diminish Lawrence's actions.  2-games would be ideal but he will probably only get 1.  CFLPA will probably appeal it down to a fine, but the commissioner should step in and overrule this otherwise the league looks like a joke in its stance on concussions and protecting the players.

UGh, now we will have to hear from Rider fans all season, after they lose games, how they likely would have won if Collaros had been playing.

44 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Much as I abhor Simoni's flagrant cheap hit, iy is well established that you cannot make a penalty retroactive. It is up to the league and players to agree to an appropriate consequence to something like this.

Ummm, all penalties are retroactive.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Riders fans are now playing the "WHAT IF" game. 

Seems the relief of finally shedding Collaros contract is out weighing the outrage over the hit. Took one game for Fajardo to fall out of fashion. Lots of recriminations over Rider bungling the QB file.

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It was a cheap shot by Simoni no doubt about it.  He went in head first and made no attempt to hold up.  Yes, Collaros is more susceptible to concussions given his past history but that should in no way diminish Lawrence's actions.  2-games would be ideal but he will probably only get 1.  CFLPA will probably appeal it down to a fine, but the commissioner should step in and overrule this otherwise the league looks like a joke in its stance on concussions and protecting the players.

UGh, now we will have to hear from Rider fans all season, after they lose games, how they likely would have won if Collaros had been playing.

Well. Ambrosie is working for the Bombers and called a hit on Collaros. So there wont be any additional punishment for SL. The entire league is against the ArseRiders. Only Rider QBs are targeted and only Rider QBs get knocked out of games. Its business as usual for Canadas Team. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

I’m sorry but three other QBs took heavy questionable hits this week - these quarterbacks got up and shook it off so we’re not talking about it

lawrence hit was dirty but every other QB in the league would have got up and we’d be talking about a fine or 1 game...

The one Pipkin took where he got both horse collared and facemasked was kinda flagrant.  I don't know if I'd call it as bad as SL's or if you tack a fine for that one though.  The one on Nichols I think it was possibly could have drawn a flag for the defender pile driving or putting a bit too much weight on him.  But it certainly wasn't a suspension or fineable offense in my books.

But all that to say we definitely are better than TiCats fans because nobody on this forum defended Jackson Jeffcoat when he roughed up Brandon Bridge the way he did.

4 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

The one Pipkin took where he got both horse collared and facemasked was kinda flagrant.  I don't know if I'd call it as bad as SL's or if you tack a fine for that one though.  The one on Nichols I think it was possibly could have drawn a flag for the defender pile driving or putting a bit too much weight on him.  But it certainly wasn't a suspension or fineable offense in my books.

But all that to say we definitely are better than TiCats fans because nobody on this forum defended Jackson Jeffcoat when he roughed up Brandon Bridge the way he did.

To play devils advocate, Simoni did not ‘lead with his head’... his shoullder made contact technically

Cflpa has a legit case with the other defender pulling collaros down by the jersey just as Lawrence launched

What I lament is the loss of talented CFL athletes to head shots. No athlete should be sidelined because he has been intentionally concussed. I want to see the best players play. We've lost way too many fine young men to intentional head shots. It must end and the punishment needs to be swift and severe. 

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

I’m sorry but three other QBs took heavy questionable hits this week - these quarterbacks got up and shook it off so we’re not talking about it

lawrence hit was dirty but every other QB in the league would have got up and we’d be talking about a fine or 1 game...

How any quarterback can absorb an illegal hit should not have anything to do with how the league should deal with the punishment.  I don't know why a guy who might suffer a concussion should be treated any differently than a guy who has never had one. The result of the hit should not be considered. 

Reviewing the play quite a few times I can not see how Lawrence can convince anyone he was going to tackle him. With the position of his arms that could not have happened.  It is hard to accept a player would go to injure a member player who like himself is trying to earn a living.  It's even harder to accept that the PA is not supporting the one hurt .

22 minutes ago, LeBird said:

How any quarterback can absorb an illegal hit should not have anything to do with how the league should deal with the punishment.  I don't know why a guy who might suffer a concussion should be treated any differently than a guy who has never had one. The result of the hit should not be considered. 

Reviewing the play quite a few times I can not see how Lawrence can convince anyone he was going to tackle him. With the position of his arms that could not have happened.  It is hard to accept a player would go to injure a member player who like himself is trying to earn a living.  It's even harder to accept that the PA is not supporting the one hurt .

They gave him a 25 yard penalty...

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

Much as I want the Riders to sink like stones in a well, if Collaros cannot come back, this is just horrible.

The horrible decision was re-signing him in the off-season, Collaros is done, he's not going to get better even if he takes the rest of the season off to recover, the damage to his brain is permanent.  For the sake of all concerned it's time to move on.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

so Glenn turned down the Riders...thats funny and Glenn is a very smart man obviously who wants no part of that fiasco, as well as values his health as he'd get killed behind that o-line

There very average tackles with Shepley/Clarke/Blake with Scram as the 6th next week is going to be god awful

9 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

No one is "defending" what he did. The over the top multiple game punishment, hand wringing, phony virtue signalling was the beef.

"I care more about this issue than you because I want a 4 game suspension. What, you want only a one game suspension,  what are you, a monster?" 

It's so tiresome.

12 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I think any logical fan knew Collaros wasn't going to play all year.  He was damaged goods. I don't think that excuses the hit, if anything it probably encouraged it to a certain extent.  Odell Willis took him out last year and basically ended our season. For me it really bothered me to see it end that way for Zack.  Basically the last 2 games of his career he took nasty head shots and the league did nothing about it.  I agree a 2 game suspension is warranted and should not be pled down to a fine by the CFLPA.  Maybe other qb's wouldn't have been hurt on that hit, but you have to honestly ask yourself if want to roll the dice if Nichols is going to get up after that hit.  Or Better yet, What if Harris doesn't get up after that hit, your season would be over without him.  Its easy for people to dismiss things when their team isn't involved, but the league is a community. As a league are we ok with head shots on our qb's when they are sliding feet first?  Interesting incident in the Eskimo game, a Esk's player was flagged for basically same thing. When they showed the replay in slow motion you could see the player making a huge effort to NOT make head contact, which he didn't do. The flag was thrown in error as it turned out. It was a reminder to show how Lawrence mad zero effort to avoid contact with the head when he was in same situation.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Would a 25 yard penalty make you feel any better if you lost Andrew Harris for the year?

I didn’t realize that making rider fans feel good was part of the cfl mandate

and no I didn’t feel great when Kevin Glenn was the victim of a late hit or when buck played thru too many concussions - but it’s football

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Would a 25 yard penalty make you feel any better if you lost Andrew Harris for the year?

The outcome of injuries is never factored into penalties and shouldn't be. 

25 yard penalty and two game suspension is enough for that hit. 

Remember when khari Jones career was ruined by Ed Philion diving on his knees and rolling them up 4-5 seconds after the whistle? No penalties no suspension. Remember when kg couldn't play in the grey cup? We've all been there.

Harris gets up from that hit. So do all our QBs. Our team isn't one man deep. If any one guy went down we are still a good play off team. 

The riders rolled the dice on severely damaged goods and he went down time and time again. Yet the riders kept bringing him back and leaning on him. 

Edited by wbbfan

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

so Glenn turned down the Riders...thats funny and Glenn is a very smart man obviously who wants no part of that fiasco

My opinion but Dickensen mentioned salary cap limitation to how much they wanted to pay a qb.  I gathered that Glenn wanted more money than the Riders wanted to pay a backup