2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I really don't care what Rider fans post on their board, nor do most people on this site.   What matters here is what you bring and post on this board.

Do you think coming to a Bomber website and making claims of collusion in favour of the Bombers from the CFL commissioner would get any reaction other then the one you were getting?  I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were doing here and got exactly the reaction you wanted.  Then feign innocence and saying it is odd when you get "jumped on".    In fact, coming from a Rider fan I would say it borders on trolling and would probably get a Bomber fan suspended for posting an equivalent post on Riderfans.

Ambrosie couldn't pass this in a vacuum.  Commissioner isn't a dictator.    All clubs, or at least the majority, had to agree to it.  And if you read the articles of the time, it was clear that there was a sort of arms race going on between clubs and coaching staffs that was outpacing league revenues and wasn't sustainable.  

Here is an article on who decided on the cap, a little insight on how they came to it, and a clear explanation that Winnipeg wasn't the only team unaffected.    In fact, Winnipeg isn't even mentioned in that area of the article.  

https://nationalpost.com/sports/cfl-implementing-new-operations-cap-before-next-season

Does it suck for Saskatchewan that this was implemented?  Sure. But in a league that has a history of shooting itself in the foot, has a long history of teams having to either be taken over by the league or saved by benefactors who don't care about losing money, is it a surprise that a cap like this is put into place to keep the league viable and more teams from going under?  Or the more likely scenario that this was put in to pre-empt the players pointing to all the money available that teams were spending and should be available to players prior to CBA negotiations.

I needed to repost this quote with bold and italics where appropriate because I’d agree but couldn’t articulate the thoughts near as well. 

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

When did I mention he colluded with them?  You guys complain non stop about the league catering to the Riders, maybe we should appoint Jim Hopson as next commissioner.  Then we will change the salary cap for coaches and management to a number than works for the Riders. Who cares if it doesn't work for others or isn't good for the league as a whole..

I’m sure a guy who played a decade with the Eskimos is a Bomber mole.

35 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I strongly suspect that this year there has been more Raptors merchandise sold than Rider gear.

As for Ambroise secretly plotting to become Commish only so that he can help the Blue Bombers and citing the coaching cap as proof, well that is just tinfoil hat, batshit crazy talk.

I strongly suspect the Rider store is the only retail shop in Saskatchewan 

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Calgary is still going to be a good team, but I think their D is also poised to take a step back which is massive. Their offense gets all the headlines, but it was their defense that carried them last year if you ask me. 

Singleton is a big loss all by himself. 

8 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Singleton is a big loss all by himself. 

their depth chart on the D side of the ball took massive hits all over. I'm not saying they won't still win games, but you absolutely can not look at their roster and say "they look every bit as good as previous years"....no, they absolutely do not LOOK as good....

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

their depth chart on the D side of the ball took massive hits all over. I'm not saying they won't still win games, but you absolutely can not look at their roster and say "they look every bit as good as previous years"....no, they absolutely do not LOOK as good....

At least their defensive coordinator is still there. 🤣

5 hours ago, Booch said:

do you have concrete proof of this?...numbers to back it up?

No I don't. I've read a few articles over the years that mention it.  Either way, the Riders sell more than anyone else by a enormous margin. If no one here wants to admit or acknowledge that, who cares. Doesn't matter to me.  I see a ton of responses, too many to respond to.  LOL  I just get a free beer for the post count. 

5 hours ago, Booch said:

that market has only one "major" sports team to spend entertainment dollars on...I don't count junior hockey as one, as Manitoba has as many if not more junior teams in the Provence as does Sask .

They have the Riders, Lacrosse and.....Usports...thats about it

WPG for example has Bombers..Jets..Goldeyes..Moose...now soccer...as well as the 2 universities..WHL..and the 2 other junior leagues so a lot of disposable income to be spread about the city...so averaging what we do is still pretty impressive when you look at the big picture

What junior teams does Manitoba have? Wheat Kings and the new one in Winnipeg.   Sask has Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

Hello, yes, I have a question about all the empty seats at Mosaic....

Paid attendance was over 28k.  There was maybe 15k fans at game. Thursday night exhibition game. I'm not too worried about it. 4 of my 6 seats were empty

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

What junior teams does Manitoba have? Wheat Kings and the new one in Winnipeg.   Sask has Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert

D-league sports isn't even the conversation for entertainment dollars compared to a $400 million dollar NHL team 

Lol come on man.

5 hours ago, Geebrr said:

They definitely don't sell out that stadium.

No one sells out every game do they?  Our average paid attendance is within 1500 seats of a sell out, we sell out a few times each year, not sure, never looked it up                                   https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/attendance/2018/

6 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

D-league sports isn't even the conversation for entertainment dollars compared to a $400 million dollar NHL team 

Lol come on man.

Yes I get that.  I asked question regarding the more junior teams Manitoba has over Sask that was mentioned in the post

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

MJHL

Stienbach Pistons, Virdon Oil Capitals, Portage Terriers, OCN Blizzard, Winkler Flyers, Winkler Blues, Selkirk Steelers, Swan Valley Stampeders, Neepawa Natives, Dauphin Kings, Waywascappo Wolverines..

Also the MMJHL which has ten teams and are all withing the city....sure not all WHL teams but teams that have paying customers none the less, and all within an hour of Winnipeg, and like I said in my original post don't really consider Jr Hockey in either province as it is not a professional league....fact of the matter there is one major sporting event for the entire province

I also have read a lot of stuff in articles over the years too...doesn't mean it's a 100 percent fact...does it?