2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

8 hours ago, Ripper said:

OK.  Just so this can be at a conclusion.  In your opinion, do you think its possible that fans of another team either the most effected or certainly one of the most effected, would make comments regarding the team least effected when the commissioner is from same city?  When the cap number set out was already compliant with said cities team?.  Not saying its right or wrong, not saying its true or false. Just saying is it possible that a comment may be made regarding that?  We both know the answer to that. Its odd that many are jumping on me about this when its easy to see where said opinion and comments would be directed if shoe was on other foot. Wasn't looking for argument, my post was actually a joke response to the mafia comment. It just took on a life of its own from there. 

So you're saying, that some rider fans think he worked with the Bombers to make sure they wouldn't have to let any coaches go but other teams would. By that measure, the Bombers would have had either a) the cheapest staff in the CFL or b) the smallest staff in the CFL or c) both. And some how the bombers benefited more then other teams? I'm not sure I understand the point or how this helps the  bombers more then other teams.

Also I fully believe the Commish is a Bomber fan. Thing is, professionals know how to separate personal feelings and professional responsibilities. Maybe Rider fans dont think hes professional, that's fine most are stupid anyway...shouldn't they start worrying about people spying on their practice?

8 hours ago, Ripper said:

OK.  Just so this can be at a conclusion.  In your opinion, do you think its possible that fans of another team either the most effected or certainly one of the most effected, would make comments regarding the team least effected when the commissioner is from same city?  When the cap number set out was already compliant with said cities team?.  Not saying its right or wrong, not saying its true or false. Just saying is it possible that a comment may be made regarding that?  We both know the answer to that. Its odd that many are jumping on me about this when its easy to see where said opinion and comments would be directed if shoe was on other foot. Wasn't looking for argument, my post was actually a joke response to the mafia comment. It just took on a life of its own from there. 

I really don't care what Rider fans post on their board, nor do most people on this site.   What matters here is what you bring and post on this board.

Do you think coming to a Bomber website and making claims of collusion in favour of the Bombers from the CFL commissioner would get any reaction other then the one you were getting?  I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were doing here and got exactly the reaction you wanted.  Then feign innocence and saying it is odd when you get "jumped on".    In fact, coming from a Rider fan I would say it borders on trolling and would probably get a Bomber fan suspended for posting an equivalent post on Riderfans.

Ambrosie couldn't pass this in a vacuum.  Commissioner isn't a dictator.    All clubs, or at least the majority, had to agree to it.  And if you read the articles of the time, it was clear that there was a sort of arms race going on between clubs and coaching staffs that was outpacing league revenues and wasn't sustainable.  

Here is an article on who decided on the cap, a little insight on how they came to it, and a clear explanation that Winnipeg wasn't the only team unaffected.    In fact, Winnipeg isn't even mentioned in that area of the article.  

https://nationalpost.com/sports/cfl-implementing-new-operations-cap-before-next-season

Does it suck for Saskatchewan that this was implemented?  Sure. But in a league that has a history of shooting itself in the foot, has a long history of teams having to either be taken over by the league or saved by benefactors who don't care about losing money, is it a surprise that a cap like this is put into place to keep the league viable and more teams from going under?  Or the more likely scenario that this was put in to pre-empt the players pointing to all the money available that teams were spending and should be available to players prior to CBA negotiations.

7 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Childish... or just plain stupidity.

Whatever idea/plan Randy Ambroise has (for CFL), it has to be voted/approved by the CFL Board of Governors, and I believe every team has representation. If only the Bombers is OK with it, it should not been approved. The vote should have been 1-8, if you think of it. 

Unless of course, you think that the CFL Commisioner can do whatever he wants without the approval of the board. 

He can! And hes on a witch hunt to end the riders "reign" of being "Canada's team". Hes obsessed with it!!

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah prior to him being commissioner the bombers colluded with him to set themselves up..is that what you are implying?. Sure sounds like it..I thought you had more sense and intelligence than most of that clan on your forum..

When did I mention he colluded with them?  You guys complain non stop about the league catering to the Riders, maybe we should appoint Jim Hopson as next commissioner.  Then we will change the salary cap for coaches and management to a number than works for the Riders. Who cares if it doesn't work for others or isn't good for the league as a whole..

8 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Unlimited money😂

That is what I think of when I get to Regina 

Not sure if you are uniformed or being funny.  The Riders sell more merchandise than the rest of the league combined, and more than all the NHL teams in Canada, except the Leafs and Habs.  Yes more than your precious Jets too.  So yes, paying coaches isn't a problem

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

When did I mention he colluded with them?  You guys complain non stop about the league catering to the Riders, maybe we should appoint Jim Hopson as next commissioner.  Then we will change the salary cap for coaches and management to a number than works for the Riders. Who cares if it doesn't work for others or isn't good for the league as a whole..

well whats your point though...the Bombers had more or less already met the league requirements due to having quality coaches and not over spending stupidly...even though they could have put motre into it with their "unlimited" funds as well...don't understand your comments

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Not sure if you are uniformed or being funny.  The Riders sell more merchandise than the rest of the league combined, and more than all the NHL teams in Canada, except the Leafs and Habs.  Yes more than your precious Jets too.  So yes, paying coaches isn't a problem

do you have concrete proof of this?...numbers to back it up?

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

And you're the reason why we have a salary cap on coaches now... We've seen what frivolous, over the top spending by teams can do to the cfl in the past. Hense it gets reigned in. Being the only team in such a market with no competition helps, no splitting at all going on. And isn't that based on information that was only released twice in the past 10 years or so? Merchandise sales have diminishing returns over time. 

Rider fans these days like to complain about limits on spending. But man they do NOT want privately owned teams to be able to unleash hell on the free agent market again. Take the riders highest estimated income for the past 10 years, assume its the average, then double it. Its still peanuts for private owners.  

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

do you have concrete proof of this?...numbers to back it up? He is pointing to one year, 2014 when the Riders achieved record merch sales. At no point did they outsell every NHL team, nor did it combine to more than the rest of the league combined.

He doesn't, because they don't exist.

Edited by gcn11

and based on financial league records haven't the Bombers the last few years had more profit on the bottom line?

I give Ripper some agreement that they sell a lot of green swag around the league but it's all they have to back really, and there are lots ...more like tons of defectors who leave that god forsaken place once they are old enough so ya...they but stuff in other cities..

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

And you're the reason why we have a salary cap on coaches now... We've seen what frivolous, over the top spending by teams can do to the cfl in the past. Hense it gets reigned in. Being the only team in such a market with no competition helps, no splitting at all going on. And isn't that based on information that was only released twice in the past 10 years or so? Merchandise sales have diminishing returns over time. 

Rider fans these days like to complain about limits on spending. But man they do NOT want privately owned teams to be able to unleash hell on the free agent market again. Take the riders highest estimated income for the past 10 years, assume its the average, then double it. Its still peanuts for private owners.  

For sure. The Riders like to equate profitability with being the richest. Simply not true. Without spending limits in place there are several owners in the CFL that could spend them into oblivion. We would be toast too. It is ridiculously stupid to think that the Riders could spend more than the rest of the league. They could spend more before losing money, but make no mistake, they would get trucked in a spending free for all.

Edited by gcn11

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

and based on financial league records haven't the Bombers the last few years had more profit on the bottom line?

I give Ripper some agreement that they sell a lot of green swag around the league but it's all they have to back really, and there are lots ...more like tons of defectors who leave that god forsaken place once they are old enough so ya...they but stuff in other cities..

The green swag machine has dropped of considerably since 2015.

a team who had to be saved by telethons and selling bogus worthless team shares to save their butts in the losing years shouldn't be trumpeting this endless money tripe anyway...has already been stated that attendance there has dipped due and a toilet bowl of a season this year I'm sure will take it's toll on their gate...thats how it works there...at least in our dry spell we still put anywhere from 27 to 29k butts in the seats...I recall looking back on attendance figures when they perpetually sucked and they were in the very low 20's and a few seasons in the high teens

Edited by Booch

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

But you said, and I quote, "they look every bit as good as years past".........?

Well.. It was i who said that and you quoteded me wrong as well..  "Calgary looks to be just as good as years past."   I hope they finally take a few steps back, but each year, they seemingly manage to stay strong regardless of who comes and goes.. Huffer, Dickenson and BLM seem to have a bag of magic.. or.. The rest of the league just sucks. 

35 minutes ago, Ripper said:

They definitely don't sell out that stadium.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

a team who had to be saved by telethons and selling bogus worthless team shares to save their butts in the losing years shouldn't be trumpeting this endless money tripe anyway...has already been stated that attendance their has dipped due and a toilet bowl of a season this year I'm sure will take it's toll on their gate...thats how it works there...at least in our dry spell we still put anywhere from 27 to 29k butts in the seats...I recall looking back on attendance figures when they perpetually sucked and they were in the very low 20's and a few seasons in the high teens

It is literally the only pro team in the city. I bet the Goldeyes make as much money as that lacrosse team in Saskatoon.

that market has only one "major" sports team to spend entertainment dollars on...I don't count junior hockey as one, as Manitoba has as many if not more junior teams in the Provence as does Sask .

They have the Riders, Lacrosse and.....Usports...thats about it

WPG for example has Bombers..Jets..Goldeyes..Moose...now soccer...as well as the 2 universities..WHL..and the 2 other junior leagues so a lot of disposable income to be spread about the city...so averaging what we do is still pretty impressive when you look at the big picture

The Riders sell a ton of merchandise or at least they did until the past few years. It's gone really quiet on their sales recently. I wonder why? 

Anyhow, I hate the idea of salary cap on management and coaching but do understand why they think it's necessary. Also understood why the Riders pushed for it. It was a league decision and certainly doesn't benefit the Bombers as we'll have trouble retaining our great coaching staff and management in the future. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Typical rider fan using old numbers. Hey anyone else remember how loud they complained before the salary cap for players was enforced? Like I said, don't overpay a known prick like Jones you got no problems.

BUT HE WAS THE GREATEST DEFENSIVE MIND OF ALL TIME.

Too bad he gutted the team but did have more success with the defense then i expected last year. 

In All seriousness, when the 3 of the 9 teams in the league are having issues getting fans to attend games or making a profit, i think a salary cap is a necessary mechanism to keep the league alive.

Its also why i really like the idea of CFL 2.0 with getting internation viewers to tune into games, increasing viewership is one of the main ways to increase stagnant revenue.  

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Too bad he gutted the team but did have more success with the defense then i expected last year. In All seriousness, when the 3 of the 9 teams in the league are having issues getting fans to attend games or making a profit, i think a salary cap is a necessary mechanism to keep the league alive.

Its also why i really like the idea of CFL 2.0 with getting international viewers to tune into games, increasing viewership is one of the main ways to increase stagnant revenue.  

Jones was a shining example of the "peter principle"- just like Reinbold, and the Riders will be paying his tab for another couple of years. The Riders did so well last season due mainly to a solid defence plus the Lions and Esks were not good and the Bombers had mid-season problems. But all this is logic and, as Rider fans repeatedly demonstrate, you cannot use logic to defeat an emotional belief. Its like using dance to explain architecture.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Jones was a shining example of the "peter principle"- just like Reinbold, and the Riders will be paying his tab for another couple of years. The Riders did so well last season due mainly to a solid defence plus the Lions and Esks were not good and the Bombers had mid-season problems. But all this is logic and, as Rider fans repeatedly demonstrate, you cannot use logic to defeat an emotional belief. Its like using dance to explain architecture.

They're still replaying the WSF in their heads with Collaros starting instead of Bridge and convinced it would have made a difference. 

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Typical rider fan using old numbers. Hey anyone else remember how loud they complained before the salary cap for players was enforced? Like I said, don't overpay a known prick like Jones you got no problems.

35 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Too bad he gutted the team but did have more success with the defense then i expected last year. 

In All seriousness, when the 3 of the 9 teams in the league are having issues getting fans to attend games or making a profit, i think a salary cap is a necessary mechanism to keep the league alive.

Its also why i really like the idea of CFL 2.0 with getting internation viewers to tune into games, increasing viewership is one of the main ways to increase stagnant revenue.  

The days pre salary cap / enforcement were crazy and lopsided. And not in the favor of the prairie teams.