2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

2 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I thought he said he made an offer and set his conditions, and then the league turned him down?

Here's what he said..   "It’s them that really walked away more then I walked away. It’s not the money…it’s about the conditions and timeline to take the team.”

I can't imagine if there was any chance of this team folding they would have walked away from this guy's money.   The league clearly has an option they prefer at their disposal.

5 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Here's what he said..   "It’s them that really walked away more then I walked away. It’s not the money…it’s about the conditions and timeline to take the team.”

I can't imagine if there was any chance of this team folding they would have walked away from this guy's money.   The league clearly has an option they prefer at their disposal.

Or they couldn't live with his conditions. It's a negotiation. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Or they couldn't live with his conditions. It's a negotiation. 

I think his conditions where that the league ran the team until the offseason and then he would take over and completely gut the operation and bring in his own people...

Basically he doesn’t want to buy the team and carry the loss for this season. I just think that the league wants an owner who’s willing to lose money for a period of time.  All I’m suggesting here is the team isn’t folding any time soon. The league would have taken whatever he was offering had that been a real possibility. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Coombs is still good enough that he will land on his feet soon.

Very much so. This would have been a golden opportunity for us a while ago. Right now all I could see him doing is being on our PR/IR at best. Unless we suddenly started 3 NI wrs which I dont see happening. 

Coombs:  It all depends on what he wants and his physical condition.  

The Alouettes: They are an essential part of the league and there will be a deal done. They have a place in the Montreal sports scene.  They are not the Canadiens, but that is like saying the New York Rangers aren't the Yankees.  There is lots of money in Montreal and there are options on buyers.  The league should be much more concerned about the plan and the commitment to build rather than the purchase price.  The CFL has learned that lesson from experience. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

And the CFL was not confident in this ownership group? Fascinating. 

Guzzo's response is even more telling.  Claims he told Maciocia he could choose the 6 "primary important positions" but should prioritize QC university athletes for the rest.

This guy would be a disaster as owner, I'm sure of it.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Guzzo's response is even more telling.  Claims he told Maciocia he could choose the 6 "primary important positions" but should prioritize QC university athletes for the rest.

This guy would be a disaster as owner, I'm sure of it.

Yeah he obviously doesn't understand how sports or more specifically, drafts, work.

Just now, wbbfan said:

Right? Holy smokes what a mess. Id rather the league continue flipping all the bills for them then let another dumpster fire run a team into the ground. (even further) 

Agreed. Just cause someone can afford to buy the team, that does not mean that the CFL should sell it to them, despite what others have said. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah he obviously doesn't understand how sports or more specifically, drafts, work.

Some owners have done stuff like this, al davis back in the day for instance. I feel like this is a case of a small time owner who wants the prestige of pro sports rather then getting some one big enough that they dont have to micro manage the team. Need more bob youngs and less of this junk. 

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This had all the makings of a Glieberguy redux.

QFT