2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Canadian football Hall of Fame running back Eric Lapointe and his group have been in discussions with the CFL to purchase the Montreal Alouettes, according to Le Journal de Montreal reporter Marc De Foy.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie and the board of governors were having exclusive conversations with one potential group in recent days and it’s led by Lapointe. The Alouettes were officially sold to the league on Friday, May 31.

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/05/cfl-currently-negotiating-sale-of-the-alouettes-with-eric-lapointes-group-report/

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Canadian football Hall of Fame running back Eric Lapointe and his group have been in discussions with the CFL to purchase the Montreal Alouettes, according to Le Journal de Montreal reporter Marc De Foy.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie and the board of governors were having exclusive conversations with one potential group in recent days and it’s led by Lapointe. The Alouettes were officially sold to the league on Friday, May 31.

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/05/cfl-currently-negotiating-sale-of-the-alouettes-with-eric-lapointes-group-report/

Yest 3 days ago they said they were told they were out of the running..

Sooo..

Is D Trump writing for 3down nation now?

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Is he really that bad that he can't stick with a team?  He seemed decent whenever I watched him play.

Ratio victim. HAM will go with an all import rec corps and when a cdn does play it will be mike jones backed up by Brian Jones . They also drafted two recs.

Edited by Zontar

I hate to say it but the Als will probably fold at the end of the season.  No serious businessperson will take ownership of the Als without major concessions from the league.  That would be paying a portion of the losses for the forseeable future (2020 and beyond).  It will take years to increase the season ticket base and corporate support back to what it once was.  At that point, it will be a break-even operation.  Not much incentive for these wannabe owners.  I think they are mostly tire kickers anyways.  BOG won't agree to subsidizing operations for an indefinite period of time.

9 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I hate to say it but the Als will probably fold at the end of the season.  No serious businessperson will take ownership of the Als without major concessions from the league.  That would be paying a portion of the losses for the forseeable future (2020 and beyond).  It will take years to increase the season ticket base and corporate support back to what it once was.  At that point, it will be a break-even operation.  Not much incentive for these wannabe owners.  I think they are mostly tire kickers anyways.  BOG won't agree to subsidizing operations for an indefinite period of time.

Lol. Hot takes

17 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Didn't Guzzo say today that he offered the league what they wanted and they turned him down???  So on what planet is this team about to fold ?

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lol. Hot takes

There just isn't much incentive long term for anyone to take over the Als and sustain huge losses for at least a couple seasons...no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  The team will be a break even operation at best when the stadium is full and the increase in franchise valuation will be minimal to offset those early losses.  That't the difference between the CFL and big-4 pro leagues.  Teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB can have 8 figure losses on an annual basis, but the franchise values increase at greater annual rate.  An owner can sell and still come out far ahead financially.  There is no hope for being made whole owning a CFL team.

2 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

There just isn't much incentive long term for anyone to take over the Als and sustain huge losses for at least a couple seasons...no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  The team will be a break even operation at best when the stadium is full and the increase in franchise valuation will be minimal to offset those early losses.  That't the difference between the CFL and big-4 pro leagues.  Teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB can have 8 figure losses on an annual basis, but the franchise values increase at greater annual rate.  An owner can sell and still come out far ahead financially.  There is no hope for being made whole owning a CFL team.

I don't quite see it that way.  With the Global iniative the CFL is moving towards being able to have teams that average around 20k fans per game become profitable.  Its only going to take a few years and there will be a significant increase coming from the league.  The team has been poorly run and with the right owner with the right Montreal based connections I think they will be able to do just fine. 

18 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't quite see it that way.  With the Global iniative the CFL is moving towards being able to have teams that average around 20k fans per game become profitable.  Its only going to take a few years and there will be a significant increase coming from the league.  The team has been poorly run and with the right owner with the right Montreal based connections I think they will be able to do just fine. 

You're putting a lot of stock in foreign money coming. And, as soon as it does, the players are going to get their piece. 

Costs are going up but revenue does appear to be increasing significantly.