NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

JCon

31 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/nfl/if-field-becomes-raider-nation-for-nfl-pre-season-game-557344442.html

So are we gonna have an odd-looking square piece of turf in the field where they are putting the goalposts?

It's already there and has been for a few weeks.  You probably wouldn't notice it from the stands unless you looked for it though (as I did during the Calgary game).

So the Raiders seem to have some kind of promotional thing going on, on the corner of Osborne and River Ave right in front of the LC. However, I can't figure out what it is. (And haven't had time to go out and see/ask) But they have a big Raider logo and a couple of girls in golf shirts standing around. Haven't found anything on social media about it. The girls aren't talking to people or really doing much but chatting between themselves. Is this the "week of activities" type of stuff that was suppose to take place to get Winnipeg pumped for this complete joke of a game?

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Including those responsible for bringing the game here? This failed miserably with multiple attempts in the huge market of Toronto. Why was it going to succeed here?

Promoters just think they can charge anything they want, including outrageous prices & people will open their wallet & show up. That's not true at all. This game would have failed in every other Canadian city because of ticket prices. This promoter especially seems out of touch with reality.

4 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Including those responsible for bringing the game here? This failed miserably with multiple attempts in the huge market of Toronto. Why was it going to succeed here?

This is a one-off. That was part of permanently establishing Toronto as part of the Buffalo market. Different scenario altogether. 

And, the early games were successful. 

honestly, I'm not sure why anyone here would get too worked up about it. The Bombers aren't out anything...they get a flat fee "rent" for their space, and the stadium is gonna look like a million bucks on TV (not to mention some Winnipeg/Manitoba exposure during that whole documentary thing the NFL Network is doing on the Raiders right now...) so whatever...if it doesn't sell well that's fine. We're an NHL/CFL town....

57 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

From what i understand its a middle man not the nfl thats bungled this up. might be wrong. 

It is for sure, but let's not get it twisted:

Every player in the CFL wants to play on that field in that league if they could.

I don't need to see our team Twitter account being painfully unfunny calling out the field size.

It is embarrassing 

Key question..... will they show Antonio's new helmet? Talk about it, tell us where it's made, how it's different than the old helmet, details about it's construction, really good football stuff like that?

I listen to US sports radio a lot, and  I've heard far more about the helmet, than any other single subject related to the NFL. That and Jerry Jones witticisms.

That's part of why nobody really cares.

Edited by Mark F

21 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Key question..... will they show Antonio's new helmet? Talk about it, tell us where it's made, how it's different than the old helmet, details about it's construction, really good football stuff like that?

I listen to US sports radio a lot, and  I've heard far more about the helmet, than any other single subject related to the NFL. That and Jerry Jones witticisms.

That's part of why nobody really cares.

Our sole broadcaster spends half of actual games talking about hamburgers on sale. 

37 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It is for sure, but let's not get it twisted:

Every player in the CFL wants to play on that field in that league if they could.

I don't need to see our team Twitter account being painfully unfunny calling out the field size.

It is embarrassing 

I thought it was hilarious. You should probably try to relax a bit more.