NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

JCon

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Anyway,

So this game will definitely draw fans from the Northern states. 

You think?  There's preseason tickets on StubHub for under $50 for all teams in that area, some GB tickets for $10.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Wonder how much of a risk the Bombers are taking, or if they are simply providing the facility for a fixed fee with some incentives for sales.

15 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You think?  There's preseason tickets on StubHub for under $50 for all teams in that area, some GB tickets for $10.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Wonder how much of a risk the Bombers are taking, or if they are simply providing the facility for a fixed fee with some incentives for sales.

No doubt the Bombers have been promised a minimum  plus a percentage of the gate over a certain amount.

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

You guys are dreaming if you think this game will draw lots of people from the northern states who are packer fans.  Check out Stub Hub for one of green bays pre-season games - lots of $6 - $10 tickets.  But sure, they will come here (assuming they have a passport which many don't) and spend $300 per ticket plus gas and hotel  no problem right.  Same thing, with Saskatchewan and northern Ontario - don't have to deal with the border, but they prices will turn off most NFL fans. It's an exhibition game too in which the starters will play for a half if your lucky...all for more then $300.  The burden of the purchase will fall almost exclusively on Winnipeggers...probably over 90%.

I can go to Minny and back with a friend by car:

split gas - $50

split 3 nights at 3* hotel -  $180

Vikings regular season ticket - $60 - $120

Twins Baseball game - $25

and pick one of the following options:

Zoo with parking - $20

Museum/Art Gallery - many are free

Valley Fair - $35

And the price will be slightly higher then the $330 I pay for a meaningless exhibition game at home.  The trip offers not only far greater quantity but far greater quality of entertainment (regular season vs. exhibition game).  

Then don't go.

Wade Miller was on the radio yesterday and made it very clear that the club did not set the prices.   He was mostly happy to showcase the stadium and hopefully some of the players who come for the game and who will be cut,  those guys may change their opinions of the CFL and maybe a few would be more open to playing for the Blue Bombers down the road.  

For myself I have the money I could go,  I'd just  rather spend the  money and make a trip of it going down to Minneapolis.  More value for the dollars spent IMO.   

I'm sure they'll get close to selling out.  

22 hours ago, mbrg said:

I'll wear my Reggie White Packers jersey.

I assume it will be easy to spot Raiders fans as they'll all have machetes.

I inherited a machete from my dad and I have never figured out what to do with it. Now I know. If I could find that eye patch, it might come in handy too. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then don't go.

You have to understand, many people saying the value isn't there aren't complaining. I think it's a valid point that the price is going to prevent the event from selling out and probably limit the potential profit of selling out at a lower price.

I hope it sells out - for the good of the bottom line - but I have my doubts. 

I don't think the Bluebombers bottom line is driven by attendance..I bet they get a flat venue fee, and most likely profits from concessions and parking, so whatever money is brought in is straight profit

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

I bet they get a flat venue fee

I'm almost 100% sire of this... I remember reading something in the FreeP regarding concerts at IGF and this was the story, I believe... 

There's basically two ways for the stadium to book large events. Either they go out and "buy" an event and act as the promoter/co-promoter or an outside promoter rents the building for an event they bought. This NFL game definitely seems like On Ice Entertainment bought the rights to the game and is renting the stadium. The Bombers assume less risk but On Ice stands to gain more if the event sells out. Still, it's within the Bombers best interest to sell that sucker out and get as much concession money as possible.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

You have to understand, many people saying the value isn't there aren't complaining. I think it's a valid point that the price is going to prevent the event from selling out and probably limit the potential profit of selling out at a lower price.

I hope it sells out - for the good of the bottom line - but I have my doubts. 

Just the storyline & analogy used... Ya da, ya da, I can go to Minneapolis, I can sleep on the floor in a flea bag hotel or the back seat of my buddy's car, I can share gas with my friends, I can bring sandwiches & bottled water instead of eating in restaurants….  Somehow making a so called cheap trip to Minneapolis to watch the Vikings  is somehow better value than watching the game here.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess. 

I agree prices are high but why are we acting surprised? That's the promoter setting the price. However, if you really want to go then you'll go.

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then don't go.

Sigh.  My point is people are overstating the novelty of this thing.  Yeah, it's in Winnipeg for the first time ever, but combined with the fact that Minneapolis is within easy driving, along with other NFL markets, and it being an exhibition game, takes away that aspect.  The prices will be a further detriment.  $330 for upper deck seats, over $300 for seats at the goal line, $250 or $280 for seats at the back of the end zone (which will be a mile from the field of play since an NFL field is 30 yards shorter).

Pre-sale might be at 4,000 tickets sold by the looks of things which is pretty terrible, considering the hype and easily accessible pre-sale codes.  Majority of seats for heavily hyped events happen in pre-sale so this is pretty much confirming my thoughts. 

It's also funny that the promoter has the Black Hole near the non-alcoholic section - guy really did his research. 

Edit:  It appears there are 5,000 seats sold

Edited by blueandgoldguy

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just the storyline & analogy used... Ya da, ya da, I can go to Minneapolis, I can sleep on the floor in a flea bag hotel or the back seat of my buddy's car, I can share gas with my friends, I can bring sandwiches & bottled water instead of eating in restaurants….  Somehow making a so called cheap trip to Minneapolis to watch the Vikings  is somehow better value than watching the game here.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess. 

I agree prices are high but why are we acting surprised? That's the promoter setting the price. However, if you really want to go then you'll go.

The thing is you don't have to stay at a super cheap hotel or eat sandwiches to make a cheap trip to Minny.  It's quite easy to stay at a 3-3.5 star hotel like a Marriott for $120 or so a night and split with a friend.  Plenty of decent cheap dining options that aren't fast food but don't have to cost you an arm and a leg for eating out as well.  Good breakfasts can cost you $10 in plenty of places.  Heck the Marriott I stayed at last time in Minny had an all-u-can eat breakfast buffet for $12.  Add in Viking tickets for $60 - $120 and other awesome attractions that are free or cheap and you can keep your spending to an amount not much more then what you would spend for a pair of $330 upper deck tickets to IG Field.

18 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

The thing is you don't have to stay at a super cheap hotel or eat sandwiches to make a cheap trip to Minny.  It's quite easy to stay at a 3-3.5 star hotel like a Marriott for $120 or so a night and split with a friend.  Plenty of decent cheap dining options that aren't fast food but don't have to cost you an arm and a leg for eating out as well.  Good breakfasts can cost you $10 in plenty of places.  Heck the Marriott I stayed at last time in Minny had an all-u-can eat breakfast buffet for $12.  Add in Viking tickets for $60 - $120 and other awesome attractions that are free or cheap and you can keep your spending to an amount not much more then what you would spend for a pair of $330 upper deck tickets to IG Field.

Then. Don't. Go.

13 hours ago, Atomic said:

Then. Don't. Go.

Holy @$$, discussing tickets prices and comparables is a perfectly valid topic on a discussion forum. It also has nothing to do with going or not going.

You don't have anything productive to add to this particular branch of the conversation?

Then. Don't. Comment.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Holy @$$, discussing tickets prices and comparables is a perfectly valid topic on a discussion forum. It also has nothing to do with going or not going.

You don't have anything productive to add to this particular branch of the conversation?

Then. Don't. Comment.

There's only 2 answers here. Go or Don't Go.  Do people want to hear continually why anyone doesn't want to go? People can spend THEIR MONEY anyway they want.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There's only 2 answers here. Go or Don't Go.  Do people want to hear continually why anyone doesn't want to go? People can spend THEIR MONEY anyway they want.

No one is asking a question that needs an answer.

We're discussing the pricing of a particular event in a particular market. And if that pricing will affect the success of that event.

Both people who are going and are not going or contributing.

The only thing that isn't helpful is people responding with "don't go".