NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

JCon

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

People falling all over themselves saying how they won't be going because the prices are too high.... ok?  Stay home then?  It's going to sell out easily.

I told a buddy of mine I don't think it will sell out, maybe get 25-28,000. But won't sell out at those prices. Still a solid crowd.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ugh to much for me to justify,  I can get tickets for really good seats to a regular season Vikings game for a much lower price. 

That's the funny part of it. They think we're dumb I guess.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't understand the "I could go to a Vikings game" argument. I go to Vikings games all the time. That is not this. The novelty is that it is in Winnipeg. Also I spend a grand every time I'm in Minne but that might just be a "me" problem...

It is a hilarious comment. A Vikings game is $500 easy just to go for 2 days and only watch the game. Minimum.

18 minutes ago, Mark F said:

That's the funny part of it. They think we're dumb I guess.

For sure.  After hitchhiking to Minneapolis and sleeping on a bench at the bus station, they will be impressed at how we can intelligently save money.

I can't help but notice with a few exceptions, the same people who are claiming they won't go because of the price are the same people who said they wouldn't go long before they price was announced.

Go.  Don't go.  Few care.  But being one of those people who claim they didn't want go to the Heritage Classic because "the ice conditions of an outdoor game can't be consistently maintained which makes the outcome suspect but the points still count in the standings which could effect a playoff position just to have a cash grab and everyone is tired of these already they aren't special anymore blah blah"...spending hundreds of dollars to rent a chair for 3 hours to watch millionaires make billionaires richer will never not be a stupid way to spend money.  Pay your hydro bill.  Save up for a vacation.  Give it to a breakfast program at a youth drop-in center.  It's your choice.  The price for this event, however, is completely in line with events of this nature.

It's also not a regular season game, with starting players.

comparing somewhat different things.

worth it for a serious NFL fan, but not a casual fan. I hope they sell the place out.

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You're basically paying to be able to say you've seen Antonio Brown and Aaron Rodgers play.

You may be.

I am a Vikings fan, I hate Green Bay and am indifferent towards Oakland.

I bought my ticket. Good chance this is a once a lifetime chance to watch the most popular league in the world play in my city.

I'll support it. It is worth the cost.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

More PR for the CFL. 

Awesome piece, Rodgers working on making it a home game haha.

22 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You're basically paying to be able to say you've seen Antonio Brown and Aaron Rodgers play.

Im not sure you'll see much of those guys. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

People falling all over themselves saying how they won't be going because the prices are too high.... ok?  Stay home then?  It's going to sell out easily.

My greatest interest in all of this will be ticket sales and the nature of the crowd at the game. I'm really not sure either way, Its a largely different crowd then we will see at bomber games IMO. But the drawing power could be huge. 

39 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It is a hilarious comment. A Vikings game is $500 easy just to go for 2 days and only watch the game. Minimum.

It really depends on the person. Some people go down to the shop or mix in shopping etc. I've known people to red-eye out to high-end US golf courses, play a round sleep in the vehicle and drive back. For me, if I can set up a double dip to watch the jays/raptors and an NFL game that's worth it. I'm the type to pay more for better though. 

This is certainly a different thing, to see an NFL game in Winnipeg. As said very likely the only time it'll happen. And the amount of people who will pay anything for an experience, especially an exclusive one, is astronomical. 

You guys are dreaming if you think this game will draw lots of people from the northern states who are packer fans.  Check out Stub Hub for one of green bays pre-season games - lots of $6 - $10 tickets.  But sure, they will come here (assuming they have a passport which many don't) and spend $300 per ticket plus gas and hotel  no problem right.  Same thing, with Saskatchewan and northern Ontario - don't have to deal with the border, but they prices will turn off most NFL fans. It's an exhibition game too in which the starters will play for a half if your lucky...all for more then $300.  The burden of the purchase will fall almost exclusively on Winnipeggers...probably over 90%.

I can go to Minny and back with a friend by car:

split gas - $50

split 3 nights at 3* hotel -  $180

Vikings regular season ticket - $60 - $120

Twins Baseball game - $25

and pick one of the following options:

Zoo with parking - $20

Museum/Art Gallery - many are free

Valley Fair - $35

And the price will be slightly higher then the $330 I pay for a meaningless exhibition game at home.  The trip offers not only far greater quantity but far greater quality of entertainment (regular season vs. exhibition game).