2019 Main Training Camp

Mr Dee

11 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Looking at the 2017 draft class. It doesnt look like many are in the league still or have had much of an impact. 

Absolutely. For us, Gray is the only one left. Now if we get 5-10 years of him as a starting OL that is still a decent draft to me.Yeah but looking at that draft not too many teams did well.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

People are taking this too literal. Who knows what goes down between the organization and the players in private. Obviously he doesn’t want to be playing football right, it’s just a very vague answer. He’s not going to throw Thompskins under the bus he has too much class for that. 

Well it does sound like a lot more fun cruising around on AB's private jet and hanging out in Miami than being at TC.

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Absolutely. For us, Gray is the only one left. Now if we get 5-10 years of him as a starting OL that is still a decent draft to me.Yeah but looking at that draft not too many teams did well.

If we end up with an all-star calibre offensive lineman with a long career in Winnipeg i think we won that draft compared to what other teams did.   

Some really tough choices coming up for the coaching staff.

DL is really deep. If we parted ways with Roh and Nevis that'd free up a good chunk of money for NFL cast offs. Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Richardson, and Bryant would give us a great line. Di McCallister and roster jake Thomas as the back up interior guy. Griffiths and Lachance are both interesting guys, but I think only Griffiths sticks around. 

On the OL I think speller and couture are neck and neck. But experience will get couture the nod. Along with gray, Neufeld, Bryant, and Hardrick. I think Desjarlais will be the 6th man. Which leaves a choice to hide Eli or speller. I think Eli's upside has a big edge for being the guy to hide/develop.

Even RB. Obviously, no one will supplant Harris. I can't see Augustin beating out Oliveira. Brady just has too much raw talent, size, and skills (hands). Even then Augustine has done everything asked of him and deserves to be on a roster. Santiago looks dynamic and dangerous but I can't see where we would work him in or a reason to keep him on the PR with the above 3. 

The last preseason game is going to be huge for Mccallister, Bryant, Richardson, Nevis, and Roh. I feel like the contracts will make it hard for Nevis and Roh to outfight the new guys for spots. The young 3 are just soo explosive. 

I expect to see the starting core of the OL in front of Nichols, which is going to make the last guys even harder.  

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

DL is really deep. If we parted ways with Roh and Nevis that'd free up a good chunk of money for NFL cast offs. Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Richardson, and Bryant would give us a great line. Di McCallister and roster jake Thomas as the back up interior guy. Griffiths and Lachance are both interesting guys, but I think only Griffiths sticks around. 

On the OL I think speller and couture are neck and neck. But experience will get couture the nod. Along with gray, Neufeld, Bryant, and Hardrick. I think Desjarlais will be the 6th man. Which leaves a choice to hide Eli or speller. I think Eli's upside has a big edge for being the guy to hide/develop.

Even RB. Obviously, no one will supplant Harris. I can't see Augustin beating out Oliveira. Brady just has too much raw talent, size, and skills (hands). Even then Augustine has done everything asked of him and deserves to be on a roster. Santiago looks dynamic and dangerous but I can't see where we would work him in or a reason to keep him on the PR with the above 3. 

The last preseason game is going to be huge for Mccallister, Bryant, Richardson, Nevis, and Roh. I feel like the contracts will make it hard for Nevis and Roh to outfight the new guys for spots. The young 3 are just soo explosive. 

I expect to see the starting core of the OL in front of Nichols, which is going to make the last guys even harder.  

I would hope that we are going to keep Speller around as well as Eli. I think Speller would have some trade value and also some insurance in case they made the wrong choice going with Couture. I personally feel like Speller is probably the better center but if Couture is going to be a part of this team long term he's gotta win a starting job now and they are going to give it to him even if Speller is on par with him. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I would hope that we are going to keep Speller around as well as Eli. I think Speller would have some trade value and also some insurance in case they made the wrong choice going with Couture. I personally feel like Speller is probably the better center but if Couture is going to be a part of this team long term he's gotta win a starting job now and they are going to give it to him even if Speller is on par with him. 

Idk how much trade value either has. Someones gonna shake loose. I would love to see all three guys stick around somehow. Won't be easy though. 

53 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think its Neufeld/Couture/Gray/Desjarlais on the active roster with Speller on the two man reserve and Eli on the PR to start the season.

wonder if speller has less of a chance of being poached. I feel like Eli being able to practice would be huge. I'd rather not see him hidden on the IR.  

I can't wait to see gray pulling/playing zone read and smashing guys at the second level. 

52 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Has Neufeld even practised yet? Anyone know what's wrong with him?

Double nope. 

48-HOUR PRIMER:  (who else but Ed Tait)

All of that is a roundabout way of saying this Thursday’s final preseason game in Saskatchewan against the Roughriders is absolutely, positively massive for those either on the bubble for a roster spot, or trying to lock down work as a starter.

“When you have a competitive training camp like ours with lots of depth, then there are guys who are battling hard for roster spots,” O’Shea said Tuesday.

Cornerbacks (x2):

Chandler Fenner has been moved from the Dime/SAM linebacker spot to the field corner and looks to have one of the two jobs.

Winston Rose was superb early in camp before pulling up with an injury.

With Rose down – as well as Chris Humes, who started one game for the club last year – and reps available, Amari Coleman has been getting a lot of work there with the starting defence.

In addition to the above, still in camp and possible corner candidates (not including halfbacks Brandon Alexander and Marcus Sayles) are import defensive backs Mike Jones, Joe Este, Tyneil Cooper, Marcus Rios, Elijah Battle and Malik Boynton.

Receiver (1):

Four members of what would be a five-receiver set are locked in with Darvin Adams and Chris Matthews (although he is currently injured) along with Canadians Nic Demski and Drew Wolitarsky.

Still standing along with Kenny Lawler and Rasheed Bailey are Tim Wilson, Matt Hazel, Kenny Walker, Lucky Whitehead and Charles Nelson.

Offensive line (2; centre/guard):

Lock in Stanley Bryant, Jermarcus Hardrick and Patrick Neufeld (who has yet to practice, but is expected to be ready for Week 1) along the O-line.

Still remaining: The development of Gray, Desjarlais and Speller has fuelled the notion the Bombers could go all-Canadian on the interior, with Tui Eli also there for depth. But don’t yet rule out the notion of there being three Americans up front, either for Week 1 or down the road. There are still four other import linemen in camp in Jamar McGloster, Israel Helms, Tanner Farmer and Delroy Baker, Jr.

No. 3 quarterback:

Bryan Bennett looked very comfortable in his action in last week’s preseason game against Edmonton.

But newcomer Sean McGuire had his moments, too, completing six of 10 passes for 69 yards. If it’s about the now, then Bennett offers so much aside from his QB skills, including serving as the holder on placekicks and covering kicks on special teams. Yet, if it’s about the long-term, consider that McGuire is just 23 and just getting his feet wet in the three-down game.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like the contracts will make it hard for Nevis and Roh to outfight the new guys for spots. The young 3 are just soo explosive. 

Roh is the best pass rusher on the team, also a guy who makes plays all over the field.  They aren't cutting reliable veteran players in their prime, they are all-in to win this season.

Cut those guys, minus their bonuses and the replacements and you're saving well under $100,000 in real money/cap space.  Not even worth it.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Roh is the best pass rusher on the team, also a guy who makes plays all over the field.  They aren't cutting reliable veteran players in their prime, they are all-in to win this season.

Cut those guys, minus their bonuses and the replacements and you're saving well under $100,000 in real money/cap space.  Not even worth it.

Healthy Jeffcoat is much better at rushing the QB, and Willie Jefferson is a better pass rusher yet. Roh is a steady solid end who is good across the board and can get hot. But isnt great, and is redundant. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Healthy Jeffcoat is much better at rushing the QB, and Willie Jefferson is a better pass rusher yet. Roh is a steady solid end who is good across the board and can get hot. But isnt great, and is redundant. 

Disagree on Roh.  Only one in his league as a pass rusher is Jeffcoat, but Roh keeps his pads low and gets into his moves before his second step.  Jeffcoat is more of a pursuit rusher, great at holding his gap, not as consistently quick into the pocket.  Jefferson is a freak but doesn't have a lot of technical skill to get into the pocket, kinda all or nothing, great at reading QB eyes though and making plays on the ball.  Either way, Roh isn't going anywhere.  Those three are all special players, and all in their prime.  Some guy with a speed rush on a bunch of guys who are going to get cut in a preseason game isn't going to take their job.  If he hangs around and gets in due to injury and makes plays he has a chance.

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I am still thinking that Eli is going to step up soon once the rust is off and he is confident in his injury recovery and become a fixture on the O-line for time to come.

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

I am still thinking that Eli is going to step up soon once the rust is off and he is confident in his injury recovery and become a fixture on the O-line for time to come.

In the coach's show MOS said Eli was not in football shape and needed to work for quite a bit. He had NFL buzz before so I think everyone likes his potential. I know I was excited especially after losing 2 good young guys. Eli previously quit football so there is some question marks about will he be willing to stick it out on PR and all that but who knows the inner motivations? Its the so many moving parts that makes CFL football so interesting. 

Some decisions will involve whether the team thinks they can slip the players past the other clubs to be able to sign him to the PR.  Some of our guys are more a risk that way than others.  That is why we never put Foketi on the PR.

42 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

In the coach's show MOS said Eli was not in football shape and needed to work for quite a bit. He had NFL buzz before so I think everyone likes his potential. I know I was excited especially after losing 2 good young guys. Eli previously quit football so there is some question marks about will he be willing to stick it out on PR and all that but who knows the inner motivations?

Not in football shape because he's still recovering from an injury, right. 😉

1 hour ago, nate007 said:

Not in football shape because he's still recovering from an injury, right. 😉

OT, I know Neufeld won't need a lot of reps to be technically ready if any. But physically? It's a huge jump to go from offseason to regular season with 0 reps in Tc and preseason. It also raises questions of how long has he been hurt, and when will he be 100%?

I wish local media would get some better answers about what's going on with foketi and neufeld. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree on Roh.  Only one in his league as a pass rusher is Jeffcoat, but Roh keeps his pads low and gets into his moves before his second step.  Jeffcoat is more of a pursuit rusher, great at holding his gap, not as consistently quick into the pocket.  Jefferson is a freak but doesn't have a lot of technical skill to get into the pocket, kinda all or nothing, great at reading QB eyes though and making plays on the ball.  Either way, Roh isn't going anywhere.  Those three are all special players, and all in their prime.  Some guy with a speed rush on a bunch of guys who are going to get cut in a preseason game isn't going to take their job.  If he hangs around and gets in due to injury and makes plays he has a chance.

Agree to disagree on Roh. ogopogo was a better pass rusher as well. 

Jefferson is raw and needing further refinement. If he had high-end polish he would be in the NFL. But he gets better all the time and probably will end up in the NFL. Jeffcoat was handily leading the team in pressures until he got hurt, he doesn't sell out for pressure though. But most of our ends right now are disciplined and assignment sound. 

18 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

48-HOUR PRIMER:  (who else but Ed Tait)

All of that is a roundabout way of saying this Thursday’s final preseason game in Saskatchewan against the Roughriders is absolutely, positively massive for those either on the bubble for a roster spot, or trying to lock down work as a starter.

“When you have a competitive training camp like ours with lots of depth, then there are guys who are battling hard for roster spots,” O’Shea said Tuesday.

Cornerbacks (x2):

Chandler Fenner has been moved from the Dime/SAM linebacker spot to the field corner and looks to have one of the two jobs.

Winston Rose was superb early in camp before pulling up with an injury.

With Rose down – as well as Chris Humes, who started one game for the club last year – and reps available, Amari Coleman has been getting a lot of work there with the starting defence.

In addition to the above, still in camp and possible corner candidates (not including halfbacks Brandon Alexander and Marcus Sayles) are import defensive backs Mike Jones, Joe Este, Tyneil Cooper, Marcus Rios, Elijah Battle and Malik Boynton.

Receiver (1):

Four members of what would be a five-receiver set are locked in with Darvin Adams and Chris Matthews (although he is currently injured) along with Canadians Nic Demski and Drew Wolitarsky.

Still standing along with Kenny Lawler and Rasheed Bailey are Tim Wilson, Matt Hazel, Kenny Walker, Lucky Whitehead and Charles Nelson.

Offensive line (2; centre/guard):

Lock in Stanley Bryant, Jermarcus Hardrick and Patrick Neufeld (who has yet to practice, but is expected to be ready for Week 1) along the O-line.

Still remaining: The development of Gray, Desjarlais and Speller has fuelled the notion the Bombers could go all-Canadian on the interior, with Tui Eli also there for depth. But don’t yet rule out the notion of there being three Americans up front, either for Week 1 or down the road. There are still four other import linemen in camp in Jamar McGloster, Israel Helms, Tanner Farmer and Delroy Baker, Jr.

No. 3 quarterback:

Bryan Bennett looked very comfortable in his action in last week’s preseason game against Edmonton.

But newcomer Sean McGuire had his moments, too, completing six of 10 passes for 69 yards. If it’s about the now, then Bennett offers so much aside from his QB skills, including serving as the holder on placekicks and covering kicks on special teams. Yet, if it’s about the long-term, consider that McGuire is just 23 and just getting his feet wet in the three-down game.

No mention of Simonise in the receiver battle. He hasn't been secretly cut, has he? 

21 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

No mention of Simonise in the receiver battle. He hasn't been secretly cut, has he? 

Since it was about battles for open positions, Tait probably just has Simonise slotted as a back-up to Demski and/or Wolitarsky.  Same reason he didn't mention Streveler when discussing the QB's.