2019 Main Training Camp

Mr Dee

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

The QB of this iteration of the Blue Bombers doesn’t need to carry anyone to the playoffs. That’s entirely the point. Basically, all he would need to do is not blow games. Even with a few games blown by the QB last season, the team still made the playoffs easily. There’s absolutely no way that one could make a reasonable argument that Streveler would have played worse than Nichols in either the Rider or the Stamp games in the playoffs last season. I recognize that Nichols was certainly playing hurt last season and there’s a reasonable reason to expect a better performance out of him this season but it’s far from a certainty. I make no apologies for not being a fan of the guy. It terrifies me that if this strong core of the Bombers fails to win a cup, I’m certain that it will be he and Lapo who are ultimately to blame the most. 

If that is still true this year, we're in trouble - other teams will adjust.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

If that is still true this year, we're in trouble - other teams will adjust.

The Bombers under O'Shea and LaPolice have the ultimate responsibility for the Bomber's fortunes and so far have won exactly one playoff game in their tenure. Walters has provided all of the necessary pieces and if the team does not advance to the cup, questions will have to be asked of the coaches.

“I got a lot out of the (NFL experience), but there was a point last fall where I made a decision this is where I’d turn my focus. It took a while to work things out contract-wise, but this is exactly where I want to be," - Geoff Gray

"You can already feel the team mentality here, even with it being early on. Everyone’s here to win a job, but everyone’s here to make the organization better for that ultimate goal. It’s a great atmosphere."

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea was candid about his affinity for the local guy.

"He’s extremely athletic, he’s very strong in the weight room, (he’s) got a lot of flexibility. He’s got a lot of bend for an offensive lineman," O’Shea said. "Super smart guy. He’s as smart as they come, so he learns easy.

"He’s a rare combination of just his size, his athleticism, his strength and his intelligence. So, you look for him to really contest for a spot."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/gray-readyto-rock-for-blue-510100662.html

Edited by Mr Dee

The Bombers training camp roster features 93 names, not including the non-counters like the three Winnipeg Rifles players – LB Cole Sneesby, RB Brandon Urcluoli and DB Troy Wilson – and CFL/U Sports QB Apprentice Sawyer Buettner of the University of Ottawa.

Bombers training camp is loaded with local products who played their high school or college ball here: Andrew Harris, Oliveira, Nic Demski, Thomas Miles, Geoff Gray, Abu Conteh, DJ Lalama, Tariq Lachance and Dylan Schrot.

The Bombers have a vacancy at the weak-side linebacker spot after Jovan Santos-Knox signed with the Edmonton Eskimos this offseason. That leaves Kyrie Wilson as the front-runner to replace him.

“Kyrie has been in the ranks,” said Bighill. “He’s been learning, he’s been working hard, he’s been focused. I love the way he prepares and approaches the game. From there it’s his time to show he can do it and I’m going to be right there helping him. I’m excited to see what he can do.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/19/notes-camp-day-1-recap/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Matthews, Jefferson making a big impact: Chris Matthews approached a wall of media, and just before the red lights of the cameras came on and microphones were thrust into his face, took a moment to shake everyone’s hand. - Ed Tait

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“I got a lot out of the (NFL experience), but there was a point last fall where I made a decision this is where I’d turn my focus. It took a while to work things out contract-wise, but this is exactly where I want to be," - Geoff Gray

"You can already feel the team mentality here, even with it being early on. Everyone’s here to win a job, but everyone’s here to make the organization better for that ultimate goal. It’s a great atmosphere."

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea was candid about his affinity for the local guy.

"He’s extremely athletic, he’s very strong in the weight room, (he’s) got a lot of flexibility. He’s got a lot of bend for an offensive lineman," O’Shea said. "Super smart guy. He’s as smart as they come, so he learns easy.

"He’s a rare combination of just his size, his athleticism, his strength and his intelligence. So, you look for him to really contest for a spot."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/gray-readyto-rock-for-blue-510100662.html

Really excited to see what he can do up here with a full camp. All the potential in the world could be a T or a G. 

Also, love the idea of Desjarlais and Gray both playing first-team reps at guard. Head to head battle for a guard/reserve spot while shoulder to shoulder in the trenches. That's just great coaching. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Really excited to see what he can do up here with a full camp. All the potential in the world could be a T or a G. 

Also, love the idea of Desjarlais and Gray both playing first-team reps at guard. Head to head battle for a guard/reserve spot while shoulder to shoulder in the trenches. That's just great coaching. 

And some horseshoe-up-the-butt luck combined with darned good drafting.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So  Skunk you actually like what I said about you? That just proves you are just an attention *****. 

My god dude, just stop. Haven’t you been asked to stop like, I don’t know, a million times by now? If someone treated you the way you treat people around here, you’d be full of complaints.

do better.

Certainly nothing wrong with the Nichols/Streveler debate....Let's put it this way....a little push to keep your game sharp, by a guy who would like to have your job, can only be good ...They're big boys playing a big boys game....they'll feed off each other and that can only be a good thing for the club...Great to know we have the kind of talent we need to win it all at the pivot position

Make no mistake the O line will be the deciding factor on what this team does in both the running and passing game, if they fill the holes left by Goosen and Chung  and they can jell quickly the Bombers have more than enough weapons to feed the scoreboard, I have no worries about the D and ST's.