2019 Main Training Camp

Mr Dee

18 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Wolitarsky has the low key potential to be our best receiver. Between age, talent and passport, I couldn’t be happier if it happens. 

Its funny but its almost like he's undervalued because he's 'Canadian'...  if he didn't have Cdn passport, we'd all be pumped at finally 'discovering' our import receiver

650 yards in his first real season is great - I'd love to see him take Dressler's spot to be honest

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Its funny but its almost like he's undervalued because he's 'Canadian'...  if he didn't have Cdn passport, we'd all be pumped at finally 'discovering' our import receiver

650 yards in his first real season is great - I'd love to see him take Dressler's spot to be honest

He was also the field receiver most of the time, which makes it all the more impressive. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and if Streveler hadn't had the familiarity with the "backup" receivers Lapo might still have ignored the guy totally. 

Well considering Streveler was #4 going into camp last year...  we got some lucky breaks with 'backups'

NOTABLE NUMBER | 32-19

That’s Nichols’ record as a starter since first arriving here via trade with Edmonton in September of 2015. Prior to Nichols, the last Bombers QB with a winning record was Khari Jones, who was 44-28-1 from 2000-04.

The others: Kevin Glenn (35-37-1), Buck Pierce (14-18), Drew Willy (11-18), Michael Bishop (6-8), Steven Jyles (2-8), Joey Elliott (2-7) Max Hall (1-8), Justin Goltz (1-4), Ryan Dinwiddie (1-2), Alex Brink (1-2), Stefan LeFors (1-3), Chris Streveler (1-3) Tee Martin (0-3), Robert Marve (0-2), Brian Brohm (0-2), Mike Quinn (0-2), Dominique Davis (0-1).

NOTABLE NUMBER | 32-19

That’s Nichols’ record as a starter since first arriving here via trade with Edmonton in September of 2015. Prior to Nichols, the last Bombers QB with a winning record was Khari Jones, who was 44-28-1 from 2000-04.

The others: Kevin Glenn (35-37-1), Buck Pierce (14-18), Drew Willy (11-18), Michael Bishop (6-8), Steven Jyles (2-8), Joey Elliott (2-7) Max Hall (1-8), Justin Goltz (1-4), Ryan Dinwiddie (1-2), Alex Brink (1-2), Stefan LeFors (1-3), Chris Streveler (1-3) Tee Martin (0-3), Robert Marve (0-2), Brian Brohm (0-2), Mike Quinn (0-2), Dominique Davis (0-1).

Okay... but the team around him is demonstrably better than the majority of those guys. Nichols has had two seasons as a starter here. One good, one bad. And the fact that the team is so much better now arguably should give him less rope and benefit of the doubt than being on a crappy team. 

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Okay... but the team around him is demonstrably better than the majority of those guys. Nichols has had two seasons as a starter here. One good, one bad. And the fact that the team is so much better now arguably should give him less rope and benefit of the doubt than being on a crappy team. 

The counter point would be Streveler being 1-3 as the starter and Davis 0-1. Yeah small sample sizes and backups and all that, but part of the winning is Nichols doing no question.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The counter point would be Streveler being 1-3 as the starter and Davis 0-1. Yeah small sample sizes and backups and all that, but part of the winning is Nichols doing no question.

That’s a fair point but a rookie in their first four career starts can’t be judged on the same scale as an 8 year veteran. Streveler showed more out of a rookie QB than anyone we’ve seen since I’ve been following the team at the very least. And while he is far from a certain answer, Nichols absolutely needs to have a short leash. He’s getting the benefit of the doubt essentially based on one full season of good results two years ago. We have just as large a sample of him being bad than him being good. 

And one of those Streveler losses was the season opener against Edmonton where he put up 30-something points and the defence blew it. Can’t put that one on him. 

Edited by AKAChip

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

That’s a fair point but a rookie in their first four career starts can’t be judged on the same scale as a 8 year veteran. Streveler showed more out of a rookie QB than anyone we’ve seen since I’ve been following the team at the very least. And while he is far from a certain answer, Nichols absolutely needs to have a short leash. He’s getting the benefit of the doubt essentially based on one full season of good results two years ago. We have just as large a sample of him being bad than him being good. 

And one of those Streveler losses was the season opener against Edmonton where he put up 30-something points and the defence blew it. Can’t put that one on him. 

Where there was a huge weather delay and the game didn't end until like 1am right. 

Nichols has the ability to rally a team...  when he's on, he's a mini-Reilly...

Streveler has great energy to change things up - really hoping for a 1A/1B scenario - Lapo has GOT to be looking at that...

Nichols and Reilly could not possibly be more different. Not even accounting for the vast difference in quality between them, Reilly uses his feet to make plays and Nichols can’t run 2 feet without falling over himself. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

Nichols and Reilly could not possibly be more different. Not even accounting for the vast difference in quality between them, Reilly uses his feet to make plays and Nichols can’t run 2 feet without falling over himself. 

No I'm talking about rallying the huddle - very similar players

29 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Man, there are some fugly QB names sprinkled in there. Yikes.

As mentioned, Neufeld and Harris were sitting out today.  The first-team offence was :

Matthews-Washington-Adams-Demski-Wolitarsky

Bryant-Desjarlais-Couture-Gray-Hardrick

Nichols at QB, Augustine at RB.

I had a tougher time nailing down the second team offence, but it definitely had OIiveira at RB, Streveler at QB, Simonise and Petermann as receivers.  Looked like the other receiver spots were Rasheed Bailey, Kenny Lawler, and Tim Wilson but I'm not 100% sure on those ones... I think they might have switched it up a couple times.  The OL looked like Speller at centre, Koczwara at guard, and Briggs/Baker on at the tackle spots... couldn't see who else was at guard.

I can't give you the defence at the moment, I was locked in on the offence most of the time.  Derek Jones was definitely the #1 safety and he is looking slim, trim and healthy.  Great to see.

One thing I can say for certain is that we are going to be absolutely deadly in the redzone with both Darvin Adams and Chris Matthews.  Already some chemistry developing between Nichols and Matthews.  Wolitarsky looked great as well, Bauming tweeted out his huge catch to start off the practice.  Hardrick grabbed the ball right after and tried to punt it into the crowd but it went straight up instead... that got a big laugh from everyone.  Love that guy.

I'm interested to see if we can find room for one of Larry Rose III or John Santiago... both looked really quick but they were not getting reps in the first two offence units.  Rose III in particular I thought looked pretty dangerous.

As expected, Bennett was running with the third team offence but surrendered some reps to McGuire as well.  Sawyer Buettner actually got one rep which I was surprised to see.  It was an overthrow that almost got picked but good for the kid getting some action in.

Should be lots of good competition at returner and the hands team gets a boost with the additions of Chris Matthews and Willie Jefferson... yes Willie Jefferson.  6'6" with receiver experence and he was getting some reps in on specials.  The returner competition looked like it involves Charles Nelson, Lucky Whitehead, and John Santiago.... definitely a few other guys back there too but it was hard to see exactly who.  Nic Demski is still involved as well.

Overall it was very much a "day 1" outing... hard to get a good read on anyone and it's wise not to jump to any conclusions.  The starters looked best.... Wolitarsky, Nichols, Matthews, Adams.  Augustine looked comfortable at RB and Oliveira is going to have to win that backup job from him... don't see Augustine letting go without a fight.  If I had to pick one new receiver who showed well it would be Kenny Lawler... looks like he has pretty good hands and I like his build as well... looks like a pro receiver to me.

Nice day for some football.  Noticed they have ripped all the seats out in the northeast and southeast corners in the lower bowl.  Not sure what that's all about.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

As mentioned, Neufeld and Harris were sitting out today.  The first-team offence was :

I had a tougher time nailing down the second team offence, but it definitely had OIiveira at RB, Streveler at QB, Simonise and Petermann as receivers.  Looked like the other receiver spots were Rasheed Bailey, Kenny Lawler, and Tim Wilson but I'm not 100% sure on those ones... I think they might have switched it up a couple times.  The OL looked like Speller at centre, Koczwara at guard, and Briggs/Baker on at the tackle spots... couldn't see who else was at guard.

I can't give you the defence at the moment, I was locked in on the offence most of the time.  Derek Jones was definitely the #1 safety and he is looking slim, trim and healthy.  Great to see.

One thing I can say for certain is that we are going to be absolutely deadly in the redzone with both Darvin Adams and Chris Matthews.  Already some chemistry developing between Nichols and Matthews.  Wolitarsky looked great as well, Bauming tweeted out his huge catch to start off the practice.  Hardrick grabbed the ball right after and tried to punt it into the crowd but it went straight up instead... that got a big laugh from everyone.  Love that guy.

I'm interested to see if we can find room for one of Larry Rose III or John Santiago... both looked really quick but they were not getting reps in the first two offence units.  Rose III in particular I thought looked pretty dangerous.

As expected, Bennett was running with the third team offence but surrendered some reps to McGuire as well.  Sawyer Buettner actually got one rep which I was surprised to see.  It was an overthrow that almost got picked but good for the kid getting some action in.

Should be lots of good competition at returner and the hands team gets a boost with the additions of Chris Matthews and Willie Jefferson... yes Willie Jefferson.  6'6" with receiver experence and he was getting some reps in on specials.  The returner competition looked like it involves Charles Nelson, Lucky Whitehead, and John Santiago.... definitely a few other guys back there too but it was hard to see exactly who.  Nic Demski is still involved as well.

Overall it was very much a "day 1" outing... hard to get a good read on anyone and it's wise not to jump to any conclusions.  The starters looked best.... Wolitarsky, Nichols, Matthews, Adams.  Augustine looked comfortable at RB and Oliveira is going to have to win that backup job from him... don't see Augustine letting go without a fight.  If I had to pick one new receiver who showed well it would be Kenny Lawler... looks like he has pretty good hands and I like his build as well... looks like a pro receiver to me.

Nice day for some football.  Noticed they have ripped all the seats out in the northeast and southeast corners in the lower bowl.  Not sure what that's all about.

Can you get a job with the Free Press?

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Excellent reading atomic....