Rookie Camp Discussion

Jpan85

17 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I wonder how many bad throws by Nichols to Mathews deep,  before the fans start chanting for Big Chris.  

While I disagree with the point you're trying to make (or narrative you've been pushing for some time now)... You are correct that most casual fans in Winnipeg are pretty fickle when it comes to the QB situation... As soon a decent back up emerges, any misstep from the starter makes the #2 the most popular guy on the team...

16 minutes ago, bearpants said:

While I disagree with the point you're trying to make (or narrative you've been pushing for some time now)... You are correct that most casual fans in Winnipeg are pretty fickle when it comes to the QB situation... As soon a decent back up emerges, any misstep from the starter makes the #2 the most popular guy on the team...

I'm not pushing it per say,  just discussing something I see on the field and can't help questioning it.  And to your fickle fan comment,  almost every bomber fan I speak with about the upcoming season is the QB situation.  Everyone has to ask, " who do you want to see playing" ..and whether they are fickle or just being fans,  it's a concern for them.  Hence my question how much rope will Matty get.  

Honestly I hope he dominates the league early and maintains a strong play all the way to the grey cup.  He is a leader of the team and he needs to show that bigtime this season. 

Nichols gets 'a ton of rope' because it's the coaches, not the fans who decide if he gets pulled or not. Right or wrong, our coaches have proven time and time again that they will give vets the benefit of any doubt.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I totally  hope is not off this season,  I just don't want to listen to excuses being made for him for the whole season if he is.  Not many players get this much time to return to how they played over a season ago...

and no one here wants to listen to you bitching about Nichols when you are way off the mark either. 

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols gets 'a ton of rope' because it's the coaches, not the fans who decide if he gets pulled or not. Right or wrong, our coaches have proven time and time again that they will give vets the benefit of any doubt.

well that and the fact that he has won more games for this team than anyone in a long long time. But hey, it's totally just the coaches in Nichols corner because veteran!

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

well that and the fact that he has won more games for this team than anyone in a long long time. But hey, it's totally just the coaches in Nichols corner because veteran!

And.... another thing I didn't say.

FTR: It's not about how many games he won in the past. It's about how well he is playing right now and if Streveler is playing as well or better.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

And.... another thing I didn't say.

FTR: It's not about how many games he won in the past. It's about how well he is playing right now and if Streveler is playing as well or better.

What you said was coaches give vets the benefit of the doubt. I am pointing out that the reason Nichols gets lots of rope is because he earned it.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

and no one here wants to listen to you bitching about Nichols when you are way off the mark either. 

I only mention things when Nichols IS off the mark.... just like any other people do about all kinds of players when they aren't playing well.  

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What you said was coaches give vets the benefit of the doubt. I am pointing out that the reason Nichols gets lots of rope is because he earned it.

What I actually said was it's not the fans decision and for better our worse, OUR coaches give vet players the benefit of the doubt.

'That guy used to be good in 2017' is a lousy reason to give a player the benefit of the doubt. Football is a what can you do for me now profession.

46 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What I actually said was it's not the fans decision and for better our worse, OUR coaches give vet players the benefit of the doubt.

'That guy used to be good in 2017' is a lousy reason to give a player the benefit of the doubt. Football is a what can you do for me now profession.

you said multiple things, one of which is that the coaches give veterans the benefit of the doubt... How is this too complicated for you? You don't want people to comment on what you say then choose your words more carefully. 

Nichols gets the benefit of the doubt and more rope precisely because of his past performance. That's not a bad thing either. He has demonstrated a higher level of play, he gets the chance to elevate his game to that level. Not like Streveler didn't see any action at times last year in relief.

You can't run a roster by yanking guys at the first sign of trouble. How is that supposed to allow anyone to work their way out of their funk and not destroy their confidence? 

But I guess that's your mentality right? Perfection or GTFO?

43 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm telling you blocking Northern Skunk and iheart makes MMB a better place.

If you guys want to block everyone that doesn't agree with your opinions you might not have enough people left to do a circle you know what........LOL

Edited by NorthernSkunk
I forgot the LoL while I was laughing 😀

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you said multiple things, one of which is that the coaches give veterans the benefit of the doubt... How is this too complicated for you? You don't want people to comment on what you say then choose your words more carefully. 

Nichols gets the benefit of the doubt and more rope precisely because of his past performance. That's not a bad thing either. He has demonstrated a higher level of play, he gets the chance to elevate his game to that level. Not like Streveler didn't see any action at times last year in relief.

You can't run a roster by yanking guys at the first sign of trouble. How is that supposed to allow anyone to work their way out of their funk and not destroy their confidence? 

But I guess that's your mentality right? Perfection or GTFO?

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I chose them just fine. You chose to add additional meaning that wasn't there, so you could argue against a point I wasn't even making.

Nichols should play this year cuz he won games in the past? Are you suggesting that Streveler wouldn't have won most of the same games that Nichols did last year? I remember Nichols being a big difference maker in one of his wins last year and a big difference maker in a bad way in two of his losses. Wins are a team stat.

I never suggested yanking Nichols or any other vet at the first sign of trouble. Players confidence shouldn't get destroyed because the coach didn't let him play when he isn't playing well. That should motivate him to play better.

GTFO about perfection. It's not about perfection. No one is perfect. It's about competition and letting the best players play.

If Davis and LeFevour were still the backups, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Nichols was clearly better than they were, but I don't think he was clearly better than Streveler last year.

If Nichols gets back to 2017 form, then he clearly beats Streveler and should get the starting job. If he maintains that level, he should clearly get all the starts until the last game of the season, assuming we don't need the win. If he's at his 2018 level again, he shouldn't get  a ton of rope based on past successes, but based on our coaches he will.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm telling you blocking Northern Skunk and iheart makes MMB a better place.

I know it isn't popular but I'm seconding this. If you don't contribute anything productive to a BOMBERS FANS message board then get out. This place isn't for you... 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know it isn't popular but I'm seconding this. If you don't contribute anything productive to a BOMBERS FANS message board then get out. This place isn't for you... 

Does cheering for the team for over forty years,  supporting the team by buying tickets and merchandise,  supporting charities the team supports.... and being positive before games around here.... does that count for anything ? 

58 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I chose them just fine. You chose to add additional meaning that wasn't there, so you could argue against a point I wasn't even making.

Nichols should play this year cuz he won games in the past? Are you suggesting that Streveler wouldn't have won most of the same games that Nichols did last year? I remember Nichols being a big difference maker in one of his wins last year and a big difference maker in a bad way in two of his losses. Wins are a team stat.

I never suggested yanking Nichols or any other vet at the first sign of trouble. Players confidence shouldn't get destroyed because the coach didn't let him play when he isn't playing well. That should motivate him to play better.

GTFO about perfection. It's not about perfection. No one is perfect. It's about competition and letting the best players play.

If Davis and LeFevour were still the backups, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Nichols was clearly better than they were, but I don't think he was clearly better than Streveler last year.

If Nichols gets back to 2017 form, then he clearly beats Streveler and should get the starting job. If he maintains that level, he should clearly get all the starts until the last game of the season, assuming we don't need the win. If he's at his 2018 level again, he shouldn't get  a ton of rope based on past successes, but based on our coaches he will.

So you think me using the coaches instead of our coaches changes the meaning of your post.? Cause it doesn't.

I think perhaps your fingers and your  brain might have a disconnect. It happens but you wrote what you wrote.

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So you think me using the coaches instead of our coaches changes the meaning of your post.? Cause it doesn't.

I think perhaps your fingers and your  brain might have a disconnect. It happens but you wrote what you wrote.

I wrote what I wrote and you read what you wanted to so you could start another useless argument.

8 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I totally  hope is not off this season,  I just don't want to listen to excuses being made for him for the whole season if he is.  Not many players get this much time to return to how they played over a season ago...

Most people didn't make excuses last season.  I think the majority of people thought his throws were off.  

I'd say the only thing we may have done is slightly over exaggerate how good Streve was.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Does cheering for the team for over forty years,  supporting the team by buying tickets and merchandise,  supporting charities the team supports.... and being positive before games around here.... does that count for anything ? 

No

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Most people didn't make excuses last season.  I think the majority of people thought his throws were off.  

I'd say the only thing we may have done is slightly over exaggerate how good Streve was.

I never said most of the people made excuses... I said some did. I was saying some blamed the receivers when defending Nichols.  I hope they were right.